Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning a Weekend Trip to NYC to Enjoy Theatre, Restaurants, Etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 07:48 AM
lwilson

I am planning a weekend getaway to NYC from Boston for my husband and I. We have not gone away since the birth of our daughter so we are looking for something special. I would appreciate any recommendations for hotels and restaurants. Hotel recommendations that are conveniently located to theatre, shopping and sight seeing would be greatly appreciated.

THank you for your help!!

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 08:15 AM
Nancy

It would help if you could give an idea of your budget and when you are coming. What kind of hotel; do you want a pool? The theatre district is pretty crowded and commercial, are you willing to walk/cab it? Besides theatre, are you interested in museums? Have you been to NY before? With some more info, I might be able to come up with some suggestions. Good luck and congratulations!

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 10:26 AM
lwilson

Nancy

Thank you for your reply. Sorry I left some information out.

Our budget is that we could afford luxury hotel accomodations or maybe a step below. A large hotel as well as a small hotel recommendation would be great. We are willing to cab it and walk it and want to be in a safe area that will offer us lots to do nearby.

We plan on visiting the end of January.

I have visited NYC about 5 years ago and my husband has never visited.

Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 10:54 AM
howard

First, the theater. You're coming to New at a good time to get tickets. I suggest you log onto the Playbill website (playbill.com) and joint its club. Anyone can join, and once a member you're eligible for discounts on tickets for many Broadway and off-Broadway shows. Just follow the instructions. This method beats standing in line at the half-price TKTS booth in Times Square (especially at this time of the year, when it's cold.)
2. Restaurants: Our favorite (and that of other Fodor's posters) is Chez Josephine on 42nd Street just west of 9th Avenue. It's owned by two of Josephine Baker's Rainbow children and a delightful experience....good French food, too.!
3. Things to do: Since it'll probably be cold, probably the best activity to recommend is museum visits. And, of course, you start with the Metropolitan Museum of Art! Others at the top of the list, depending on your taste, of course, include the American Museum of Natural History and Museum of Modern Art.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 03:56 PM
NANCY

Le Parker Meridien , not too far from theatre in good area near Central Park with pool and fitness center. The Pierre on 60th and 5th Ave for European luxury, pricey but beautiful. short cab to theatre, close to Central Park. The Carlyle, East 76th St. close to Met. Museum, expensive, beautiful. Cab to theatre, shopping. I'd have tea at the Palm Court in the Plaza or at the Pierre. A buggy ride (romantic, bring champagne) thru Central Park. Get to the museums EARLY on weekends, as they get crowded, especially when it gets cold. Make reservations for everything you can in advance. Even though it may be cold, take a bus tour (sit inside). The Grey Line and Big Apple tours offer them, the one on Sunday to Harlem to hear a gospel choir is popular. A drink or meal in one of the restaurants in the World Trade Center would keep you inside but still give you a great view, as would a drink/meal in the Top of the Sixes (666 Fifth Ave.) which is midtown. Don't forget Lincoln Center for opera, ballet and classical music -- in the 60's on the West Side. Great neighborhood. Your hotel can advise you and help you get info/reservations. All kinds of shopping from Soho boutiques to Fifth Ave. establishments. Chinatown and Little Italy might be atmospheric but stick to uptown places for better food unless you have a recommendation. Enjoy.