Planning a trip to Oahu/Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Oahu and have questions for someone that goes there on a regular basis.

1) Is there a cheaper area to stay on the island (other than Honolulu, Waikiki)? I planning on renting a car and don't mind driving into the Honolulu area to see things.

2) What are the coolest and least humid months to visit Oahu or Hawaii? I've heard February & March.

3) Are there any good recommended websites to look on for the best travel deals to Hawaii?
Old Sep 8th, 2015, 06:44 PM

We went to Hawaii in March 2014 and spent two nights at the Waikiki Sand Villa. http://www.sandvillahotel.com/ The room was very nice, with a lovely view of the mountains, and the rate was very reasonable.

Lee Ann
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 06:48 AM

The answer to your first question is no, but it's because there are no hotels elsewhere except one resort (Turtle Bay) near the North Shore. There are hotels in all price ranges in Waikiki.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 07:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I know of good budget hotel options (in the $100-150/night range) but they are all in Waikiki.

I've never found Oahu to be particularly hot or humid just really pleasant weather... when I've been there (5 times) in November, January, February.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 07:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As far as websites, I have always booked directly with my hotel, and directly with my airline (I travel solo so packages don't usually work).
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 08:07 AM

Least expensive lodging is in Honolulu. Worst traffic is in -- and in and out of -- Honolulu. You don't need a car in the city, as distances are short enough to walk or take a taxi, and there is The Bus. You do need a car outside of Honolulu -- perhaps to tour around the whole island or stay a few nights north shore Oahu (not in winter).

You will not feel the humidity in Hawaii as long as the Trades are blowing, but when they die -- and they do, sometimes for days at a time -- you'll be sticky without air conditioning.

This site has aerials, rates and reviews of almost every lodging in the state: www.hawaiirevealed.com
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 09:49 AM

We've been at all times of the year. I would say January/February is the coolest time. September/October can be pretty hot. Humidity wise I don't find Hawaii to be that bad in general. There are hotels outside of Waikiki other than Turtle Bay but there are no budget hotels that I know of other than in Waikiki.
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM

1) Cheapest is actually Waikiki/Honolulu because that area has the most supply. I try to stay using hotel points or I rent condos. I use VRBO, HomeAway, AirBnB. More often than not I end up renting through a certified vacation rental agent that I found on one of those sites. For example, this November we're staying at the Waikiki Banyan in a 1-BR condo for about 149 per night. It's completely renovated and looks much nicer than some hotels in the area which cost more money (plus full kitchen!). I've also rented condos for less than 100 per night, but usually they are smaller studio sized units (although still lovely and renovated).

2) I've been Jan, Feb, March, June, Oct, and November. They were all quite warm! During Jan-March is probably a bit cooler and windy but mainly during the evening (light jacket/sweater would be advisable)

3) I pay attention for fare sales on individual airlines which I know serve my airport. I know that Hawaiian Air and United have the most direct flights to Honolulu from my airport so I sign up for their credit card and/or emails to get the best deals and free checked bags etc.

Have fun!
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 08:20 AM

If you can find a package deal that includes airfare and hotel it can be a saver. I travel solo on my annual trips to Hawaii so packages don't help me as they are typically based on two people. Single supplements can be costly.

I am leaving for Oahu in a little more than a week from now. I will also have a rental car (I always do) and will deal with Honolulu traffic just as I always do. Having the car is always handy, as I can decide on the spur of the moment to go to the north shore or to the mall(s), outlets, out to Ko Olina, etc. but be aware that parking that car is often very expensive! If you can get by with using local transportation (which is very good) and getting a ticket on a hop on, hop off shuttle, you can go to most of the places worth visiting. The one day you would be better off having a car is when you do the island drive (which I highly recommend!!!). I like to drive it going counter-clockwise, driving by the base of Diamondhead and around the south-eastern shoreline rather than using the 4-lane highways that go up and over the mountains to Kailua (although it is also a scenic drive to do this). Having lunch at one of the shrimp trucks along the north shore is a treat I always enjoy. I can just taste that garlic shrimp now!!! Mmmmm mmmm mmmmm! Can't wait!

Do enjoy your trip. Oahu is my favorite Hawaiian island because there is so much to see and do. I'm never bored!

Plus, I love getting together with my Oahu friends from fodors!