Search

Planning a trip from the UK to the US

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning a trip from the UK to the US

Hi there

As a couple, we are planning to take a trip to the US in September but with so much to see and such little time (approx 2 and a half weeks) it is difficult to plan a trip that is feasible.

Ideally we would like to do the following:

Fly from the UK to San Diego and spend maybe 2 days here. Then hire a car and drive to LA, spending another 2 days - max here. From here, drive up the coast stopping along the way at places such as Santa Barbara, Monterey/Carmel, finally finishing at San Francisco spending maybe 5 / 6 days here.

Then ideally we would like to take an internal flight to Las Vegas, spending maybe 2/3 days here and then fly back to the UK from here.

I was just wondering if anyone could give any advice / tips on this itinerary based on a time scale of two and a half weeks.

Flights and places to stay have yet to be booked – so any advice here would be appreciated too.

Thanks
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 06:47 AM

Are you sure you want to drive on the right side of the road in Los Angeles, of all places. I am an L.A. native and I'm telling you it will be stressful

Are you sure you want to visit Las Vegas when you could see Grand Canyon in the same amount of time instead?

Sorry to inject my very opinionated opinion here since it's your trip, but I don't understand the fascination with Vegas by foreign visitors.

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 07:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you mean to 'tag' Arizona. All your places are in California, and Las Vegas is in Nevada.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

A very valid point - I have been to Vegas before and agree that it is over rated but it is something that my partner would like to experience.

Regarding driving, I don't know how we can avoid this stress, unless we avoid LA altogether or consider public transport.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

My mistake suze - I don't know if / how to untag!
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My $0.02 is also to skip Vegas and spend more time in California. From San Francisco you could swing up to the wine country, or even go to Yosemite, then return to SFO for your flight home.

Flying to Vegas blows a day of your trip. Yes, it's a short flight, but anytime you get on an airplane it's lost time in my world.

So much to see in Northern CA. Have fun whatever you decide!
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Your trip could look something like the schedule provided below (as a starting point). A couple of thoughts....I would probably drop Santa Barbara altogether and add a day in LA and add a night in Big Sur (with a splurge overnight at Post Ranch or Ventana). I definitely think an overnight to Grand Canyon is worthwhile and you will have plenty of time to soak in the sights and sounds of Vegas. In LA, you should consider a stay in one of the beach communities of Newport/Balboa Island, Hermosa, Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica (maybe take a surfing lesson), but it really depends on what you want to do in LA as it has much to offer and is very widespread (I like 3 nights with one day at the beach and one day in town for Hollywood and a movie, exploring downtown museums and Olvera Street, shopping in BH, or other cultural pursuits such as the Getty). In Santa Diego, I recommend one day exploring Coronado and Old Town and one day (the travel day) going to the San Diego Zoo or the Wild Animal Park in Escondido (with kids or not). I added Cambria if you are interested in Hearst Castle which I discussed on another recent thread. If you would rather go wine tasting consider Paso Robles or Santa Ynez Valley. You have enough time in SF that you could go a little further afield one day such as a day trip to Napa, or hiking Muir Woods. For more help you will probably need to provide your interests (hiking/outdoors, shopping, fine dining or local favorites, museums/art, history/california missions, wine tasting, kids amusements etc) and lodging preference (or budget range). You have also skipped Yosemite of which there are many discussions on the board right now and would be lovely in September. It is also possible in your schedule but would mean cutting short SF and/or dropping a few days here and there (such as one less in Vegas and one less on the coast drive). You would probably go from the coast to Yosemite and back to SF. Or to really mix things up you could do your trip North to South, fly into SF, spend 4 or 5 days, then head to Yosemite for 2-3 days, then drive the coast to LA (2 nights), spend 3 nights in LA, then drive to Vegas from LA (about 6 hours) or fly to Vegas (cheap tix on Southwest out of Burbank or LAX) and skip San Diego. You could also include the Grand Canyon or Zion once you get to Vegas.
Day 1 – San Diego
Day 2 – San Diego
Day 3 – San Diego to LA
Day 4 – LA
Day 5 – LA to Santa Barbara (or another night in LA)
Day 6 – Santa Barbara (or Santa Ynez/Cambria/SLO/Paso Robles/Pismo Beach)
Day 7 – Cambria (or Big Sur)
Day 8 – Monterey/Carmel
Day 9 – Monterey/Carmel
Day 10 – SF
Day 11 – SF
Day 12 – SF
Day 13 – SF
Day 14 – fly to Vegas
Day 15 – overnight tour to Grand Canyon
Day 16 – Vegas
Day 17 – Vegas
Day 18 - fly home
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Are you sure you want to drive on the right side of the road in Los Angeles, of all places. "

Not to worry -- all my UK and Irish friend drive here very easily (and I do the reverse driving in the UK just about every year).

Since the car is reversed too (not just the side of the road) you will easily convert. Have you driven your own car on the Continent? That is much harder IMO since you are in a rhd car on the right side of the roads. Here you will be in a lhd car and it all falls into place in no time.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 08:56 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Let me make a suggestion that you consider reversing your route.

Here's my thinking. You'll be arriving with your internal clocks off by eight hours. Dealing with southern California traffic (and make no mistake, San Diego and LA are not places where you can see much without a car) while your body is telling you it's 3 AM at 7 PM is no way to begin a holiday, IMO.

On the other hand, Las Vegas is a perfect spot for the jet-lagged and gobsmacked; it functions 24 hours a day, so if you're wide eyed and bushy tailed at 4 AM (because it's noon to you) no worries - just head downstairs to the all-night action.

Then, fly to SF and, if you want, spend your time there without worrying about a car - the public transportation is excellent, many areas are very walkable, and you can finish up recovering from your jetlag with walks along the beach or through Golden Gate Park, whatever.

Then, the drive south to Southern California will (a) be after you've accustomed yourself to looking the right (left) way before stepping into the street, and (b) when you drive south on Highway 1, you'll be on the ocean side of the highway. By the time you get to LA and San Diego, you'll be more than ready to deal with traffic and freeways.

I would definitely take the Highway 1 option - in fact all the way from SF (through Pacifica and down to Santa Cruz rather than cutting over from US 101.) The stretch all the way from Santa Cruz to Malibu (Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, San Simeon, Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara, side trips to Solvang/Santa Ynez Valley, or Ojai... means there's lots of pure California on the menu, and at a great time of year. See the missions, smell the eucalyptus, have a bottle of wine in "Sideways" country... great stuff.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 08:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Gardyloo makes a great point -- as long as you haven't yet booked your flights.

Arr in LV, fly to SF, drive south. A very logical itinerary, and a great way to use the jet lag to advantage When you are awake at 3AM -- there will be something to do
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 09:26 AM

I would make the sights on Highway 1 & a visit to Yosemite a MUST. These are views & experiences that are like nowhere else in the world. Not a vegas fan, but can understand the allure for some. LA is doable just have lots of patience, traffic is a way of life here.
You ca not go wrong with San Francisco, it is a slice of big city New York while still retaining that CA spirit.
Once you narrow down and/or finalize your itinerary post it for more feedback on great places to eat/see/stay.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geez,anyone who's not a Vegas fan must never have ventured out to Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Lake Mead and then onward to Zion National park. I think it's a great place for foreigners to see, though I'll admit September is generally way too hot for much of anything outdoors.

I think I would fly into Las Vegas and out of Los Angeles. If you have extra time at the end of your vacation you can take an overnight trip to San Diego.

Hertz usually has great one-way rates for UK residents with all insurances included.