Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

planning 6 day trip 5/2/11 - Zion, Bryce North Rim ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a 6 day trip ..probably will drive from Las Vegas to Zion..looks like it would be too far to Arches so I thought about doing Zion, Bryce and possibly the North Rim. Will the weather be ok the first week of May. Any suggestions. thanks
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Ok, I answered your other post but...

If the 6 days are in the parks and not time in Vegas, since Zion is only 3 hrs from Vegas, I'd head there and spend a couple of days then go to Bryce for a couple of days, but the north rim will probably not be open, so that means a pretty long drive through beautiful countryside to get to the south rim which means probably only a day there. The good thing is you will drive past Hoover Dam on the way back to Vegas from GC.

If you don't already have reservations in the parks, go to www.nps.gov and link to the parks then lodging. It may say it is full when you want to be there but take the number and call and keep calling as people make reservations way in advance and then cancel as time gets close and life gets busy.

Have a great trip.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM

You time is just a bit shorter that our last. You could modify our itinerary and make your endpoint Boulder instead of Torrey and do it nicely. Lots of great thing to see and do on scenic byway 12 between Bryce and Boulder. Here's a link to our report.

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah_tr
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM

jokaca, I have pretty much the same trip planned in early July... 2 nights each at Zion, North Rim and Bryce before heading back to Vegas. Luckily I was able to get reservations at the lodges. Enjoy your trip and please post back when you return!
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM

I believe the hotel at the North Rim doesn't open until later in the month of May -- and this applies to visitor services in general (e.g., restaurants, indoor toilets). The road to the park could conceivably still be blocked by snow, although I think it's usually clear by then.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM

All,

Southern UT has had a big snow year, far above average. May - at the higher elevations - Bryce and North Rim - will probably have snow.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM

I guess the road would be open at North Rim, but I don't think that any of the facilities open until May 15.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Driving from Las Vegas to N. Rim, Bryce and Zion is 670 miles and most of those miles you will be back tracking and seeing the same scenery. As others have mentioned the N. Rim might not be an option at this time of the year.

Driving from Las Vegas to S. Rim, Bryce and Zion is 890 miles and you have very little double backing and you also get to drive by Lake Powell. I'd spend 2 nights at each location to have one full day at each park.

If you have 5 nights and 6 full days, maybe you should just concentrate on Bryce and Zion. There is enough to do! If you have 6 nights, then if you decide against the Grand Canyon, you can add scenic Hwy 12 and Capitol Reef to Bryce and Zion which is approx 670 miles.

You are correct that Arches is to far with only 6 or 7 days.

Utahtea
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your help..I'm a bit concerned now that the parks could be shut down.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 07:45 AM

It's hard to say what the weather will do this time of year. Plan on it being cold in Bryce for sure. There has been a lot of snow (with more on the way) so some of Bryce and the North Rim could be inaccessible.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Hopefully tomorrow we will have some answers on the Government Shutting down the National Parks. This is going to effect my current plans too so I'm watching the news.

Utahtea
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Your input helped a lot presently I have planned to go from Las Vegas to Zion for two days and then to Bryce I thought I would also include Cedar Breaks, Capital reef,Esclante
and Kodachrome..They looked to be fairly close to each other.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Dayle,

We were at Bryce today and there was very little snow on the ground at Bryce, Sunrise and Sunset points. The Queens Garden trail was open and from the rim it looked dry. Most of the snow was on the north facing walls.

jokaca,

Scenic Hwy 12 is a beautiful drive and Capitol Reef is a worth a visit but spend a night in Torrey to have enough time to explore the drive and park.

Utahtea
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
"We were at Bryce today..."
Jealous!
You are lucky to live where you do, UtahTea. Thanks for all you do to help us plan good trips to enjoy your backyard.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM

starrs, I know it sounds like I live in Utah even down to my log in name, but we have to drive almost 700 miles to get here!

Utah is our favorite state to visit and we really lucked into some beautiful weather for our current spur of the moment trip.

Utahtea
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 06:12 AM

utahtea,

Good to hear that the snow is almost gone for our spring visitors!

It's turning spring here at my home elevation in Park City, but the snow continues to pile up at the higher altitudes. Alta and Snowbird had over 5 feet of new snow last week! Snowbird is planning to stay open until 4th of July unless weather changes drastically.

Enjoy Bryce!
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM

I dont know if this will help but we had a great trip with this schedule.From Vegas:
nite 1 zion
nite 2 n. rim
nite 3 monument valley
nite4&5 telluride(with Mesa Verde on the way)
we went guided fly fishing on free day
nite 6 arches
nite 7 Bryce and then back to Vegas
check roads and weather carefully