Planning 2006 Southeast tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're at our final stages of planning our S.East tour after having consulted a multitude of brochures, guide books etc...
- We leave Belgium on 9/11 to Washington DC we 'll be staying
days
- get our rental and drive to visit Mount vernon and then go to Annapolis(short visit)
- Williamsburg we took the 400th anniversary package which gives us 3 days lodging(Governor's inn)-historic triangle ticket(for Williamsburg-Yorktown and Jamestown.
- Kill Devil hills drive to Hatteras lighthouse and back
- Wilmington visit historic downtown
- Charleston 2 days stay at the King Charles inn
-Savannah 3 days stay at the Quality inn heart of Savannah. Take the trolley first day
- Atlanta stay near Stone mountain
-Gatlinburg 2 days hiking the Smokies probably stay at Sidney James lodge.
- Asheville 3 days stay at the Days inn- perhaps visit Biltmore but since we'll be there on a weekend the cost is pretty high: 44$ per person.
- follow the Blue ridge parkway to Roanoke and doing some hikes along the way
- continue B.R.P and go to Charlottesville for visiting Monticello- Ash Lawn highland and Michie Tavern ^plus historic downtown.
- skyline drive-Front royal to Harpers ferry.Stay at the Comfort inn- visit historic part and perhaps Shepherdstown
stay 2 days
- leave for Dulles airport visiting either Mannassas or Antietam battlefield
- return to Belgium

What do you guys think ? Is it OK. We're still looking for the best possible plantation to visit but have very little info about them. To ease the rather supposedly boring drive from Savannah to Atlanta is there a plantation worth visiting around Savannah ? Greetings from Belgium Paul
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:02 AM

Overall, I think your itinerary is great. You are going to see a wide variety of places in the southeastern U.S.

One question, are driving from Williamsburg, through Cape Hatteras, through Wilmington, and then to Charleston all in one day??? If so, that is too much driving, you won't really see anything. I would stop and stay one night, probably in Wilmington (stay in the historic/waterfront district if possible, that is, on the Cape Fear River).

One other suggestion is to consider staying 3 nights in Charleston and 2 nights in Savannah. It's not a big deal, but I think you might get a little more out of your visit to Charleston.

Have a great time!

As for a plantation to break up the drive between Savannah and Atlanta, I saw this when I googled:

http://gastateparks.org/info/jarrell/

It looks like it's not too far out of the way.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:05 AM

I agree with beachdweller about switching your Savannah and Charleston days. I love Savannah, but 3 days is probably a little much.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments.We will be driving to Kill devil hills from Williamsburg and probably stay in the Days inn motel seafront but on the same day make the excursion to Hatteras lighthouse and back. The next day we take the scenic route to Wilmington. The following day we'll be driving to Charleston.So we'll have 3 days from Williamsburg to Wilmington.
Since we will only depart from Charleston in the afternoon for Savannah we'll have 2 and a half days for visiting Charleston an.In Savannah and 2 and a half for Savannah. In Savannah we take theold town trolley the first day as we have done in San Diego and Boston and found that to be the best way to really get a good overall view of a new town.
One regret is that we'll probably be to early to really see the autumn foliage on our drive on the Blue ridge highway and Skyline drive.
For the total tour we'll be gone 27 days(flight included). Paul
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM

This is a quirky place near Charleston. The only tea plantation in the US.

http://www.bigelowtea.com/act/