Planning 2 weeks in Alaska end June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - I am planning a family trip for end of June (would like to know if it is an OK period, because most of the summer trips I see on the forums are for August). What I have in mind is a cruise followed by a stay (or the other way round). The stay would be in a single spot if poss with good access to fishing/scenery/outdoor stuff like kayaking and a little activity (Kenai Peninsula ?). Ideally the cruise would start somewhere, and end somewhere else where we would drive to the staying place and then back and fly home (to Chicago). I am happy to do more planning and booking but I would need some pointers in terms of the general flow of routes. As always, your help is much appreciated. Best regards, Pierre
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM

We didn't do the cruise, but spent a few days in Anchorage and Seward(Kenai area). A lot of folks consider Kenai area a mini Alaska. We did drive to Soldotna and did a flyout fish/bear viewing from there. We were there June 29-July 5. We kayaked in Seward and did a Kenai Fjord Tour. We did a dogsledding on a glacier with a helicopter ride to get there in Girdwood (Alyeska). Perhaps you could end your cruise in Whittier or Seward. I would spend 2-3 days in Seward and 1-2 in Girdwood. Perhaps another 2-3 in somewhere like Homer or Solodotna. Fishing and/or bear viewing. Take the train from Seward to Anchorage on your last day before catching your flight home. We had an outstanding time. If your cruise includes Glacier Bay area, try to kayak there. The weather was fine for this time of year. The salmon that was running was Sockeye. We caught our limit, saw about 20 black bears withing 25 feet of the boat. Saw grizzlies from a long distance. Bald eagle landed in tree right above our boat as well. Saw 50+ bald eagles over the course of the 6 days we were there. Alyeska resort has a lot to do there. You might click on there website and see it. Hike the Winner Creek Trail there. You cross the creek in a hand draw pulley car.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM

Overall, it is best to be on the move in Alaska, since the distances are so vast. Consider staying a few days in an area, then move on to another of interest.

Not sure of your "cruise" reference??? Are you consider a cruise ship?? If a major line, they only sail one way in/out of Seward and Whittier, for 7 days to Vancouver.

The Kenai Peninsula is a BIG place, again, it may be beneficial to consider spliting time between Homer and Seward- plenty of activities to consider.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 08:12 AM

I loved the last two weeks of June into July for the Kenai Pen. area although we also visited Talkeetna, Palmer and Independence Mine north of Anchorage. We happened to hit a heat wave (summer of 'o4). There were lots of wildflowers in bloom. Seward has a big race up Mt Marathon July 4th and Kenai (town) has a wonderful 4th of July parade. Wildflowers are blooming. The salmon start running. You can see net fishermen in Kenai as well as fishermen on the rivers. Your family might also like the Forest Fair in Girdwood which is usually held around 4th of July. We didn't attend the parade, just the craft fair. Music and fun food. Check the fair's website. I loved Homer although the nature cruise is better out of Seward than Homer. Both towns are well known for fishing and kayaking. Keep in mind the end of June gives you the longest days/most hours of sunlight. You might try to do more and not get enough sleep. Spectacular scenery between Anchorage and Seward.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the f'back - pls keep them coming. I just want to clarify that I plan to spend one week's cruise on a ship, yes, for one of the weeks. A regular cruise that will take me in the usual places. ANd afterwards pick a region and stay in one or possibly two places, but no more. Thks again !