Search

2005 Alaska Trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Alaska Trip

My wife and I are considering a cruise and land trip to Alaska sometime in 2005. We need information as to what to see and how to spend our time. Should we cruise and take a train or cruise and rent a car? Maybe it would be best to fly direct and ignore the cruise. Need any help that can be provided.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 01:08 PM

If you're going to travel on your own on the land trip, rent a car. The train is too limiting. Do the land tour before the cruise.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:55 AM

Plan on two weeks if you can. If you like to fish, you might want to spend more time on the Kenai Penisula and do a halibut charter etc. Relatives who took a cruise only this year with friends were sorry they didn't add some days to see more of Alaska. The Milepost can be purchased at bookstores and will give you plenty of information to customize a trip. Read thru past posts to see what people have liked best and if it's something that appeals to you. I planned our trip for late June so we could attend some events including a great 4th of July parade in Kenai. You can find a calendar of events on the Anchorage Daily News website www.adn.com. By having a flexible schedule and your own car you can change if the weather is bad or if you discover you'd like to spend one more day in a place. My mistake was not carrying a list of recommended places to stay. We got real lucky once and real unlucky another time.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 09:18 AM

I was looking into a cruise and land tour of Alaska for 2 weeks , but decided on flying direct to Anchorage and renting a car. As I read more about Alaska, I decided that I'd rather spend time on land than on a cruise ship, and I was not as much interested in the places where the ship docks as other parts of Alaska.

From Anchorage, we drove south to Homer and Seward , spending a few days and making several stops. Highlights were a boat tour of Kenai Fjords NP, Exit Glacier that you can walk up to, and Homer's tide pools at negative tides. We also did a Prince William Sound cruise from Whittier to see more glaciers.

North from Anchorage, we visited Denali NP and Fairbanks, and took a tour to the Prudhoe Bay/Arctic circle because the engineer in my husband just has to see the oil fields. We saw lots of wildlife on the bus trip back to Fairbanks. I know that Alaska residents do not regard Denali highly, but I think it is worth a trip - lots of wildlife and magnificent scenery (on a clear day, of course).

I timed our trip so that we were in Fairbanks on June 21 for the solstice festival. It was interesting to see the sun high up in the sky at midnight, and to have
daylight during sleep hours. The downside is millions of fierce mosquitos in June.

Your itinerary will of course depend on your interests. There is much to do in Alaska. The Mileposts, Fodor's Travel Guide, Insight Guide are all very useful in planning.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:26 AM

If money is no object consider day trip bear watching from Homer
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 07:45 AM

I have traveled all over Alaska and disagree that that the cruise portion is not as worthwhile as land?? A cruise from Vancouver offers a lot packed into 7 days with sightseeing and scenic sailing of a glacier. I give a big edge to a one way to/from Seward- BUT take advantage of being there. If you opt for the Alaska RR- TIME is necessary, a car or RV rental will allow you the most freedom and value. Do not underestimate time and distance. Purchase the MILEPOST after 3-05 in the meantime, head to your library for an older copy. Determine what areas are of interest. Spend time in areas- not just an overnight. Try to also read over some trip reports of former travelers.