COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planned Itinerary for first timer to Orlando.. does this make sense?

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 05:01 PM
Mike

Hello everyone.
Making our first trek to Orlando in last week of April 2001. After reading, learning and asking a lot of questions, we have tentatively decided what we would like to see while we are down there (7.5 days).
This is our planned itinerary.

Itinerary

Day 1 - Monday
Arrive at noon. Do Disney Quest.

Day 2 - Tuesday
WDW - 1 - Magic Kingdom

Day 3 - Wednesday
Universal Studios

Day 4 - Thursday
WDW - 2 - Epcot

Day 5 - Friday
Islands of Adventure

Day 6 - Saturday
WDW - 3 - Animal Kingdom

Day 7 - Sunday
SeaWorld

Day 8 - Monday
WDW - 4 - MGM Studios

Can someone advise if this is a good schedule? Is it too much? Would other options be better for Saturday and Sunday? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Mike

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 05:53 PM
Lori

Mike, I'm assuming that you're not staying on Disney preoperty, but if I can make a suggestion...Disney offers early entry to one of the parks to those staying in Disney hotels. You may want to find out which park has early entry on which days and arrange your schedule so that you can avoid that park each day. In other words, if Magic Kingdom has early entry on Tuesday, avoid going there and choose another park instead. Again, this is assuming that you aren't staying in one of the WDW hotels. If you are, then by all means take advantage of that early entry!

Another suggestion I have is for touring Epcot. We start touring Epcot from the back (in the world showcase) and work our way forward. It's great doing it that way, as you can really interact with the people from the different countries while the crowds are low. And by the time you make it up to the front of the park there is hardly any line at all to ride what we call "The Big Golfball". If you find that the world showcase opens later than the rest of the park, just make sure you get there early, even before the scheduled opening.

In summary- be flexible! Don't set your schedule in stone until you find out what the Disney schedule is. You may find yourself wanting to return to a certain park for a second day if it really appeals to you.

Have fun!

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 06:17 PM
Epcotlover

Mike: Sounds ok, but you could do the Animal Kingdom in 1/2 a day- while if your family likes more academic and cultural sights EPCOT will take longer than one. My 15 year old (boy) and several other family members took 2 and 2-1/2 days respectively to do all of EPCOT to their satisfaction. Animal Kingdom is best very early in the morning with a safari first thing- you can see many more animals at that time.
Don't miss "It's tough to be a bug" show at the tree of life in Animal Kingdom, though. As guide suggests, move to your left and use left lines- it will save you time.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 07:04 PM
Mike

Thanks for the advice Lori and Epcotlover.

We are staying off site so I found the early entry days at the Disney site.

Early Entrance:
Sunday: Disney-MGM Studios
Monday: Magic Kingdom® Park
Tuesday: Epcot®
Wednesday: Disney-MGM Studios
Thursday: Magic Kingdom Park
Friday: Epcot
Saturday: Magic Kingdom Park

So itinerary fits nicely with these days. I avoid all early entry. Do Unviersal, islands of Adventure and SeaWorld have early entry too?

Also thanks on the advice for Epcot. 5 months away and I can't wait!!!

Mike

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 07:29 PM
David

The best advice I can give you is to be at the park you desire when it opens! By getting there when they open you can get to & do most (if not all)the major/new attractions by noon-1:00. Then you can leisurely cruise the parks and do what ever happens. PS: Do not discount the water parks (especially Blizzard Beach) they're wonderful