places to visit - californian coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking at doing a 3/4 week trip from San Fransisco to San Diego. Does anyone have any suggestins on places to visit?? We love the coast (surfing), mountainous areas and the odd winery! Definitely not into overly touristy sites and enjoy 'off the beaten track' type travel. Would September / October OR July be the best time to visit.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:01 AM

The topic of touring the California coast comes up several times a DAY. There are hundreds of threads on this. Yours is a bit unique in that you have a lot of time.

Let's see-- what lies between San Francisco and San Diego? The second-largest city in the US for one thing. Several cities known for their excellent surfing. Excellent wineries. Inland, lots and lots and lots of mountains.

Thoroughly peruse the destination guides for California that you find in this website, then come back with some specific questions. This is FAR too general and goes over topics that have been discussed to death on this forum.

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Is this your first trip to California?

If I had that much time to enjoy that beautiful state, I would go in September/October to avoid the crowds. Starting in San Francisco, I would head south to Santa Cruz or Half Moon Bay (Mavericks, if you're good) for some surfing. Then across the state to Lake Tahoe for mountains and some hiking in the Desolation Valley wilderness. Drop south over Monitor Pass to Highway 395, and down to the Tioga Pass road, which should still be open in mid-September. A few days in the high country of Tuolumne Meadows for more hiking, then through the park to Yosemite Valley, arriving there mid-week. Then west to meet Highway 49 and go a bit further south to the Arnold area and some great caves (Moaning Cave is one). From there, back over to the coast, hitting it around Pismo or Avila Beach, and then south to the surfing spot of your choice---Rincon? Huntington Bbeach? San Onofre? Anyone have a suggestion there?

For the timing of your trip, I would choose September or October. The coast has summer fog - usually foggy in the morning, burns of in the afternoon, and comes back in the evenning, so things can be a little chilly. September and most of October is Indian Summer - relatively fog-free with warmer temperatures. Additionally, the summer crowds disappate right after Labor Day so you will likely have better hotel choices and better prices as well. It is a beautiful time of year.

Since you have 3-4 weeks (not 3/4 or a week, right?) you have time to see a lot of things.

The nice thing about the CA coast is that you've got the mountains all along the coast, so you've got mountainous and coastal regions in the same area. Then there are the Sierra Nevada mountains, which should definitely be on your itinerary. Yosemite and Lake Tahoe are the most popular areas, Sequoia and Kings Canyon are also quite accessible, but not as popular.

For wineries - you can hit the "wine country" north of SF and/or you can go to any number of other areas to visit wineries. The Santa Cruz mountains and Carmel Valley have their share, the Gold Country - along Hwy 49 - has wineries. The Santa Ynez valley near Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo has quite a few.

Surfing - have to recommend Santa Cruz for that. There is good surfing down around LA as well and San Diego. Santa Cruz itself is a lot of fun with a funky downtown and so on. The Santa Cruz mountains are great for redwoods.

Obviously you should drive down Hwy 1 through Big Sur - fabulous scenery.

If you enjoy fresh local produce, stop at Gizdich's in Watsonville for strawberries and ollalieberries. Another great place is Pescadero, Duarte's Tavern is an old restaurant there, local institution that uses a lot of local produce. The whole San Mateo county coast is beautiful - very different from Big Sur and a nice contrast. Also, a lot of visitors miss this area entirely in their rush to get to Monterey and Carmel.

Ok - so that was sort of a disjointed brain storm, but there are some ideas there. Hope they help

Is this your first trip to California?

If I had that much time to enjoy that beautiful state, I would go in September/October to avoid the crowds. Starting in San Francisco, I would head south to Santa Cruz or Half Moon Bay (Mavericks, if you're good) for some surfing. Then across the state to Lake Tahoe for mountains and some hiking in the Desolation Valley wilderness. Drop south over Monitor Pass to Highway 395, and down to the Tioga Pass road, which should still be open in mid-September. A few days in the high country of Tuolumne Meadows for more hiking, then through the park to Yosemite Valley, arriving there mid-week. Then west to meet Highway 49 and go a bit further south to the Arnold area and some great caves (Moaning Cave is one). From there, back over to the coast, hitting it around Pismo or Avila Beach, and then south to the surfing spot of your choice---Rincon? Huntington Bbeach? San Onofre? Anyone have a suggestion there?

You will find nice wineries to visit just east of the coast from San Luis Obispo down to Santa Maria, and the Santa Ynez Valley. There are also some around Monterey. All would be less frequented than the Napa/Sonoma area.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Sorry for the double post---my computer is having problems with the website this morning.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM

1. San Fran, Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz
a. Santa Cruz - Get out and experience the boardwalk, get an unlimited ride ticket
b. Bring your breach towel and spend some time puddling around in the water, you can surf to the right of the peer it looked like in Santa Cruz too, look just like the postcards of Santa Cruz!
c. If have time, head down to the beach south of the board walk (one beach over) and join a bon fire or start your won

San Fran
a. Go over Golden Gate bridge
b. turn around and come back
c. Ice cream at Ghiradelli'sin Ghiradelli square, then head towards the water and up the peer and you will see the original san francisco trolly car -- get there early (or line forms) and take a trolly car up the hills - fun
d, View from Bubba Gump Shrimp is great -- even though this is a tourist type restaurant -- the food is good and the view is great - ask the person who seats you for a window seat (You will see the full bay, the bridge and alcatraz) from their floor to ceiling windows
e. search this forum for driving tour - not a bad driving tour - get to see different areas quickly

2. I don't know in between Santa Cruz until Malibu but people have recommended Big Sur, Half Moon Bay and Santa Barbara to me

3. Malibu
Have dinner at Moonshadows
20356 Pacific coast
Hear the waves crashing against this restaurant that literally sits on pilings on the Pacific Ocean. Valet parking or self park and walk.

4. San Diego, stop in Del Mar and check out that beach, the little shops in the town. Surfing is always happening in Del Mar too.

I am new to CA so my opinions are based on new experiences - enjoy!

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Big Sur, definitely. It's not "off the beaten track," but it's one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Considering this thread is 2 1/2 years old, I am willing to bet macdog is no longer planning this trip.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Didn't even notice, haha.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM

why did amandaamanda dig this one up?
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Or --- HOW did she dig it up???
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 12:51 PM

If you get a chance to visit the central coast I would recommend it. It really is a unique place. I recommend staying in Carmel and using that as a base to explore Big Sur, Monterey, Pacific Grove, etc. the <a href="http://www.mbayaq.org/">Monterey Aquarium</a> is a must see. If you do stay in Carmel, there is a fantastic hotel there called the <a href="http://www.tradewindscarmel.com/"Tradewinds Carmel</a>. A unique and super enjoyable hotel. They were just picked as a favorite hotel in the USA by Coastal Living Magazine (article <a href="http://www.coastalliving.com/coastal...html">here</a>).
Whatever happens, enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
semoash: please read the above - macdog posted this 2.5 years ago. Their trip was back in 2006. And also please follow NeoPatrick's advice from your other posts and stop w/ the advertising on old threads.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:55 AM

There are lots of things to do along the coast. Since you enjoy wine tasting, you will be happy to know that there are wonderful wineries all the way down the coast that you can visit. For info on wineries and coupons that you print visit http://www.cheers2wine.com.

Other suggestions: Rent an ATV and ride the sand dunes at Ocean Dunes south of Pismo. It's a blast! You can also be a passenger on a guided hummer tour of the dunes...also fun.

Yosemite National Park is not along the coast...but is my favorite place in California. The huge granite mountains are awesome. You won't find a more breathtaking place!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM

So I guess that I am not the only one "guilty" of sometimes ignoring intervening posts when answering the OP.....