Places to Stay Northhampton, Mass.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I going to Northhampton, Mass, next month (Feb 26) for a 50th birthday party. Wouldn't mind an atmospheric/romantic inn or B&B for our overnight stay. We're driving up from NYC. Would rather it not cost the earth--no more than $200ish range. Suggestions?
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:53 PM

The limited research I've done on Northampton suggests you're going to have a hard time finding anything that fits this description. There are only two places to stay directly downtown (neither gets especially good reviews at online sites either), and mostly motels on the fringe of the town. And if memory serves, it's not cheap to stay here.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Penrose Victorian Inn is only 15 minutes away if that's not too far.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM

The Deerfield Inn is about 20 minutes away and is very romantic.

Recommend caution regarding B&B's as many have privacy, plumbing, rules, and other problematic concerns.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 11:09 AM

You could check out the Hotel Northampton, located in downtown, about a 30 second walk from Main St. I don't remember what the rooms look like, but the facade is lovely, there is an old tavern inside (Wiggins Tavern) & the bar is very nice, too. Location is perfect. I love Main St. for shopping/browsing.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Hotel Northampton is one of the two lodging options right in town there. Have seen very mixed reviews on the place, though, on places like Trip Advisor. Agreed the location is ideal.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 01:20 PM

I once stayed at the NorthHampton Inn as an intern. My room had a sofa a table a lamp. When the front desk told me it was a pullout sofa, I began to understand my place on the trip. I wonder if that room still exhists!!!
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:55 PM

Hadley, MA, about 10 min from Northampton, has lots of chain hotels bcs of it's proximity to UMass Amherst. While not romantic, at least you have a fairly good idea of what you will get at a chain.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Amherst is not that far, you might also check options there. Deerfield is a reasonable suggestion. Sorry I don't have specific recommendations but used to live both places so know the general layout of things.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 03:30 AM

The above posters have about covered it all. In order by distance:

(Haven't heard of the Penrose Inn -- it might be fine but quite far away).

The Deerfield in is the best choice for food, quality, romance, etc.

In Amherst try the Allen House (rave reviews from friends) or maybe the Black Walnut Inn (know less about it). These would be about a 10 minute drive from Northampton. (The Jeffrey Amherst Inn has been closed for renovations and is due to open again this summer or later.)

Hadley has lots of chain hotels (Marriott tops the list), but no romantic inns that I can think of.

The Hotel Northampton is a grand old place in the center of town, which is a great area. The public rooms are charming (but I don't know anyone who has stayed there).

Otherwise I don't know of anything that would work for you.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 05:20 AM

There's this place, which has been THE B & B in the Northampton area for years:
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/massa...the-knoll.html

It's absolutely gorgeous from the outside, but I've never been inside.

For convenience to downtown, the Hotel Northampton is the place. There's also the Autumn Inn, near Smith College:
http://www.hampshirehospitality.com/...utumn_inn.html

As others have mentioned there are lots of other choices in nearby towns.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 06:43 PM

The Knoll is lovely. The Hotel Northampton has some very nice rooms and some awful ones; if you call you can discuss your needs . The Deerfield Inn is too far if weather is bad, likely in Feb.
Penrose is very nice, just ten minutes from center of town.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

ok, after all your good advise, we decided on a really boring choice--the Clarion Conf Center. It's very close to the event says my host, and my teen may or may not join me and we need the flexibility of putting her up last minute, something not all of the B&Bs can offer.

But, I plan to revisit this area again and will keep all your excellent suggestions on file. Thank you very much.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 06:27 PM

kflodin: I urge you to reconsider, not because of boringness but because this place is really run down, moldy, dirty.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Of all the chain hotels in the area the Clarion is one of the older ones, probably less nice than the newer ones on Route 9 in Hadley. Unless you got a good deal you might want to rethink it. Holiday Inn express is pretty new (in Hadley if you want a chain).

The Hotel Northampton is a beautiful building, has two very nice restaurants and beautiful public areas, decent free parking and is walking distance to downtown shops and restaurants (it's IN downtown). I have not stayed there but know a few people who have and they liked it.

The Deerfield Inn is even nicer, but a 20 minute drive (via Interstate) from Northampton. It is not too far unless there's a major snowstorm. I commute that way daily - even in February!
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM

If you;re doing Hadley there is a Hampton Inn right over the bridge from northampton.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM

I completely agree with the poster who advised NOT staying at The Clarion. My daughter graduated from U Mass Amherst in the spring, and her boyfriend's family stayed there and said it was a real dump.

We have stayed at Courtyard by Marriott in Hadley and the Holiday Inn Express, both of which I'd hardly call romantic, but at least they are clean and you know what they're getting. If I had to choose, I'd say the Courtyard by Marriott is a half step up from the Holiday Inn.

In Amherst itself, there are a number of B&BS that sound quite nice, including the Black Walnut Inn and Allen House, both of which, as I remember, are within walking distance of town. Amherst is a very cool town to wander around for a few days- lots of good bookstores, cafes, and restaurants, etc.

IF by any chance, you'd go farther afield, I can highly recommend from my own stays an amazing B&B in Suffield, CT, which is about a 40 minute drive from Northampton, maybe a little less. It's called Spencer on Main, and it's an old Victorian mansion that has been lovingly restored, right down to the player piano in the living room. They have several suites, one of which has a hot tub, and fully stocked library. It's an amazing home, and quite reasonable.

Anyway, have a great time!
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Sadly, this trip got cancelled due to family issues, but I'm sure we'll be journeying there again and I'll keep all this info in mind.