Reload this Page >

Places to stay in Savannah?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 04:51 AM
Mary Nell Reif

We are looking for a nice bed and breakfast or other excellent accommodations in Savannah and are willing to pay the price for the best. Any suggestions for first timers to the area? Thanks!

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Patrick

It is hard to imagine a nicer place to stay than the Ballastone Inn. It has been about 7 years since we stayed there but it is exquisite --right down to the two canopy queen beds we had in our room with fireplace, all decorated in Scalamandre fabrics,the breakfast brought to the room and served on a pretty antique table, the brandy and praline by the bed at night, and the single malt scotch tastings we did in the parlour before retiring one night. (Beware that last one, however, they kept offering us a variety and we happily obliged wondering how they could possible afford to give away so much. When we checked out there was an item of approx. $45.00 for our scotches.) No hard feelings, just a misunderstanding on our part. Nothing was said at the time and it seemed to be complimentary. Anyway, I'm sure it is as nice as it was then.
Anyway enjoy, and don't let anyone talk you out of having lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding house!

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 09:29 AM
rtb

Patrick got there first -- I too would recommend the Ballastone. I haven't been to the Gastonian (I think that's the right name) but have heard lots of positive comments about it.

Highlights for me were: dinner at Elizabeth on 37th (my traveling companion vetoed Mrs Wilkes, worst luck!); all the house tours; Bonaventure Cemetery.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 10:25 AM
cmcdaniel

The Ballastone is very nice. Have never heard anything negative said about it, however, the Gastonian is considered to be the best of the best. Foley House is also quite nice and IMHO, has the best location of the 3.

Don't miss Mrs Wilkes...open M-F only and only for breakfast and lunch. Elizabeths on 37th is great for the special meal--likewise the Pink House, which is in historic district. Elizabeth's isn't far from the district, but do take a cab or drive.

Though River St is a big draw for touring, it is far from what Savannah is about! Do a carriage or bus tour, get your bearings, then tour on foot..by far the best way to see the city. Car is necessary for some good outlying sites...Bonaventure Cemetary, Ft. Pulaski. If you haven't read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, do so before going...you'll enjoy locating the various sites mentioned in the book. Though it has its basis in fact, do take the characterizations with a grain of salt!

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 01:46 PM
jennifer

hi, i stayed at the Gastonian about 4yrs ago. it was lovely and the breakfast was very good. I believe there were two seatings for breakfast and you could eat either in the dining room or the kitchen itself. The location was good. We didn't do Mrs. Wilkes but we had lunch at the soda shop/drugstore referenced in Good and Evil, they had pretty good food. It is located near a number of antique stores. But the absolute best part of the trip was getting locked in the Bonaventure Cemetary. We drove in and apparently the caretaker didn't see us. He shut the gates and went home! Thank goodness for cell phones, the local law enforcement arrived with a key and we were on our way.

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 02:36 PM
Ruth

Hi there,

The Gastonian is great - stayed there for a week three years ago. But don't get the room with the balcony and the old-fashioned bathroom w/claw-foot tub. It was very charming until you tried to take a shower in the bathroom, with no place to hang or put down anything around the tub! Authentic does not always mean comfortable!

The breakfasts were great, and the host at the time, Hugh Lineberger, was wonderful. Think it has now been sold, but still getting raves!

St. Bonaventure Cemetery is awesome. The shops on River St. are excellent, and the Riverfront (or was it River House?) Restaurant was superb (ate there two nights). Try their Chatham County Punch IF you're not driving!

One of my very favorite places to visit! And do read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" before you go, if you haven't already! Have a great trip!

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 03:28 PM
cmcdaniel

Ruth...you are correct. The Linebergers retired but the new owner, Ann Landers (not The) is as committed to the excellent reputation the Linebergers began. They put, quite literally, their hearts and souls into the place!

We always enjoyed River House as well--that owner has passed away since we moved and I'm not sure what has become of his restaurant. It may still be in the family...his sister owns the Shrimp
Factory down at the other end of River St.

Jennifer has about the best tale I've heard. As beautiful as the cemetery is in the daylight, I would NOT want to be locked in at night!!!! It's even a bit eery even in the day.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:31 AM
Audrey

Can anyone update the info here or is it still applicable? We will be in Savannah for just one night the first week in May.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:52 AM
Alpha Girl

I also vote for the Ballastone Inn. Just a lovely, luxe place to stay withing walking distance of all that is wonderful in Savannah.
Tip: Unless you have a problem with stairs, always try to stay on the top floor. B&Bs are old and people who are walking across their floor(your ceiling) will sound like a herd of elephants. Not a good thing at 1:30 AM.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:32 AM
Toni

We were in Savannah last March and stayed at the Foley House Inn and loved it. Beautiful furnishings and wonderfully comfortable rooms. Wine and cheese at night by the grand piano which was played by the owner and breakfast out in the courtyard (or inside, whichever your prefer).
We always stay in B&B's when we travel and this one was memorable. (I don't remember the exact cost but I think it was around $180. a night...) We loved Savannah

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
lisa

Another vote for the Pink House for dinner. Be sure to have the crispy, pecan Snapper (I think it's Snapper). It's a house specialty and delicious.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:54 AM
Mike

Went to Savannah in Feb. The best place to eat was definitely Mrs. Wilkes. The second was Skyler's, (I think that's the name.) It is in the East Bay Inn. The worst was The Pink House. The atmosphere and the waiter's were to stuffy, it made the food tast bitter.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:13 AM
amanda

President's Quarters Ronald Regan Room, small but quaint, jacuzzi tub, little courtyard to have breakfast, very nice