Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Places to stay in Olympic National Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My parents are coming out to visit from Illinois. I have lived in Idaho for about two years and we are going to have a family trip to ONP. We will be there for about five days (May 31-June 6). Mom ideal would like to stay by the ocean, but we are realizing that is pretty expensive. I would LOVE some good suggestions of places to stay in/near the ONP that gets us the most bang for our buck in terms of having natural sightseeing and overall greatness in the vicinity (I do realize this would be hard not to get in the ONP). We are also hoping for a place with some kind of a kitchen so we can make our own food. We are renting a car and none of us have been to the area before. I would also love suggestions of must-see/do things while we are out there too. I have perused the other forums and have some ideas, but we are pretty much a blank slate of travel at this point, so we are very open.

Thank you for any suggestions, no matter how small!

Amanda
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:08 AM

I haven't stayed there myself, but I have a number of friends who like Kalaloch Lodge. They have cabins on a bluff overlooking the beach.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:20 AM

This is a very pleasant place on a river with separate bedroom and kitchen: http://www.qriverresort.com/map.html

It is well located for visiting ONP.

HTTY
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
This website may help you. http://www.olympicnationalparks.com/..._nwtype=search

La Push has a few places. Otherwise you could stay in Port Angeles and maybe even take the ferry to Victoria.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!!!! We are looking at the Lake Quinault area, but the Port Angeles area has also been recommended………any recommendations?
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

We looked into Kalaloch 1st----the cabins are booked for when we'd want them.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM

In Port Angeles, the Olympic Lodge is a nice place to stay. They rooms are large and nicely furnished. We prefer the rooms that face the golf course and Olympic Mountains.

However, you said you are looking for a place with a kitchen. That's why I suggested this pleasant place: http://www.qriverresort.com/map.html

Here is what others say about it: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ashington.html

HTTY
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM

We are staying at Lake Crescent Lodge this July in one of the motel style units. It is not on the ocean, but on lovely Lake Crescent. Lake Crescent Lodge has cabins with kitchen. Some have two sleeping rooms.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 05:36 AM

We stayed at Lake Quinault a few summers ago. We enjoyed our stay very much and did a day trip to Ruby Beach with lunch at Kalaloch. The highlight was a ranger led Rainforest tour. The kids loved playing in the lake (but it was cold) and cooking smores on the beach.