Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Places to stay in Breckenridge or Keystone in Summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:38 PM
sandy

Considering Breck or Keystone in late August. We love mountain biking and hiking and all outdoor activities. We have a 1 year old and we are bringing a babysitter. Which town would you recommend? Want to have fun at night also(since we will have a babysitter). Don't want to spend too much time driving. Looking for upscale accomodations. Any recommendations for places to stay? Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:49 PM
anonymous

We are staying in Breck in Sept. and found a nice condo on vrbo.com. You might check it out.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Grasshopper

I always stay in a condo at Keystone. Website has all kinds of info about condo neighborhoods and availability. Also, great mountain biking there. Take the gonodola up and ride down!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Lexma90

There is no real town at Keystone, just the resort. While there is a selection of restaurants to serve all the condos, you'll get more variety of restaurants in Breck. You can certainly visit either one from the other, and you can mountain bike from either location. Lots of good hiking in either location, though I'm more familiar with the trails near Breck. Can't really help with accommodations.

If you stay in Keystone, you'll probably do more driving, both to dinner places & other fun things at night. You could, if you stay in a centrally-located place, avoid driving at all for dinner/entertainment if you stay in Breck.

Have fun!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Kima

Hi Sandy. I prefer Keystone over Breck but both are great. I think that Keystone has better food. IMHO Ski Tip Inn has the best restaurant in Summit County. 5 course meal, very small intimate room, reservations are a must. Also the restaurant on top of the mountain, you take the gondola up. Both would make for a memorable night out.

Keystone is mostly condo accommodations. Check out www.summitnet.com for listings for both Breck and Keystone. We often go to Keystone for the weekends and never drive once we are there. I would recommend staying in or near the River Run Village. Check out the resort web pages at www.snow.com for a list of activities. Keystone has some great festivals in August, the Blue and Brews, Wine and Jazz are both in August.

If you go biking from Breck check out the "Dredge Boat” trails, also near the Colorado trail for some hiking away from the crowds. Located off Tiger RD, by the golf course, about 2 or so miles down on the left. Look for the power lines. From the parking area go back toward the power lines. It’s a bit rocky at the beginning but then just nice single-track dirt. Just past the gate you will see where 3 trail intersect. Left or straight for biking, right onto the Colorado trail for hiking. PS do not tell anyone else this is a locals secret.

Have fun!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:53 PM
C

I prefer breckenridge because of of the variety of stores, restaurants etc.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:23 PM
kima

PS
If you do choose Breck both the Hyatt and Hilton have new properties that look very nice. I would think you could get infor from Central reservations.

In Keystone the premier property is "Lone Eagle" condos, although any in River Run will be newer and nice.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:59 AM
Breckboy

Keystone is a resort without a town, Breckenridge is a town with a resort. Breck has many more stores, clubs, restaurants, activities, etc., plus you have the ski mountain and the Ten Mile Range. Try hiking the Wheeler Trail or biking Peaks Trail.

For an awesome meal, try Pierre's. It was better than Ski Tip last week when I ate there.

There must be a dozen ski/bike shops and outfitters in town including Great Adventure Sports, Racer's Edge, Mountain Outfitters, etc. who can get you info. Try the Breckenridge Resort Chamber for lodging info, or check out any of the lodging companies. Get a place that faces west so you can enjoy the sunsets. Avoid staying on Peak 7 or Peak 8.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:36 PM
sandy

Thanks all for your advice. A friend just stayed at RiverRun and said it was great. We got a last minute deal for a two bdrm for $135/night!