place to stay in Sanibel

Search

place to stay in Sanibel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
place to stay in Sanibel

I am looking to go to Sanibel sometime in May with my 4 year old and other family members and am looking for accommodations. Beachfront is very important. Looking for 1st class accommodations if possible. Want this to be a really special vacation. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:23 AM

The Tween Waters Inn on Captiva sounds like an ideal solution: it's on a quiet beach (ok, you have to walk across the street to get there), it's definitely family-friendly, and it's generally a pleasant place to be.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Slw

The South Seas resort on Captiva is probably the high end resort. Also, Casa Ybel (condos) gets high praise.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 11:16 AM

Our family loves the Sanibel Inn. It is not a fancy resort but the location and the facility is lovely. We rent a two bedroom two bathroom condo. The extra spreading out space and the wonderful screened balcony are appreciated on longer stays. It comes with a washer and dryer (great for cleaning up sandy clothing and towels) and a full kitchen (eating 3 meals a day at restaurants with a four year old can get rather trying after awhile). We ate breakfast and some picnic lunches in our condo and then enjoyed the many great restaurants at night. You also have access to any of the programs and facilities at the bigger and busier South Seas resorts (like Sundial and the South Seas on Captiva). The pool and the beach are very nice at the Sanibel Inn.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 01:49 PM

We stayed at Song of the Sea & loved it. Also stayed at Sundial but it was a bit too hotel for us. Sanibel seems to inspire charm so Song suited us better. We had a beachfront room at Song & it had a nice screened porch.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. It sounds like a few good choices to look into.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:24 AM

I love the location, beach and restaurant and 'Tween Waters, but I don't think I would call it "first-class". Casa Ybel and South Seas Plantation would be first class. Also, my parents have had a timeshare for many years at Tortuga Beach, which is a lovely small property right on the beach, with a nice pool, landscape grounds, etc. The property is very well managed by Hilton. Two bedrooms condos with great sea views. Easy access to Periwinkle Drive and the lighthouse ('Tween Waters, Casa Ybel and South Seas are a little isolated, IMO.) Golfing privileges at nearby courses. Take a look at http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/...rtugabeachclub. Not sure you can get in anywhere for this May on Sanibel.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 02:08 AM

I'm not sure I would call Tween Waters first class. I love the resort, but in a nostalgic, looking back to the old 50's style, way. The rooms are not luxurious in any way and some are downright primitive (the dog friendly cottages).

Some of the South Seas condos are nice but many rent for longer periods. They are individually investor owned.

Casa Ybel is a charming resort. Again, this is no Ritz Carlton. There will never be a top Ritz or even Marriott style resort on Sanibel. Not the island's style.

My votes would be: 1. Land's End Village, South Seas Plantation ..er make that Resort. Name was changed to make it more PC. These are the northern most condos and have water/golf course views and are the most luxurious of the rentals.

2. Gulf Cottages, south seas. These are gulf front cottages. Great screened in porches to watch the sunsets with no no-seeums. They are mid-resort.

3. Casa Ybel, on Sanibel, gulf-front unit.

4. Nostalgic, is this the 50's, gulf front cottage at Tween Waters. (beach is across the only Captiva roadway however).

5. If you do not need hotel amenities, I love the Hilton run, Sanibel Cottages. They are nicely maintained, have tons of room and are on a most interesting shell picking beach. Slightly victorian in their appeal, they have huge porches, etc.

LMF
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Beachfront at Ponte Santo de Sanibel.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:30 PM

Another vote for South Seas Plantation on Captiva!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:45 AM

In my opinion, the best way to get first class accomodations would be to rent a private house on Captiva (on Sanibel, houses rent for a minimum of a month). Some of the homes are truly stunning. You will pay a lot but if you are looking for luxury, it's the best way to get it in the area. A good place to look for homes is www.royalshell.com

Otherwise, I'd probably recommend West Wind Inn on Sanibel. Song of the Sea is pretty nice but the reviews on tripadvisor.com aren't so great.

A good place to chat about Sanibel & Captiva is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/san-cap/ -- the archives are open to the public so you can look through old posts if you'd like as well.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Just returned from stay at South Seas.

Location is beautiful. Resort overpriced. Very similar to the quality of a 2* motel we stayed in before on Sanibel Island directly on the gulf beach.

Layout and view of condos good Furnishings and equipment vary tremendously as some units have been renovated--mine hadn't. Furniture and carpet worn.

One midmorning I returned to see a dying palmetto bug on my bathroom floor--I know these bugs are hard to avoid in Florida, just was glad housekeeping would be in later to clean and dispose of bug. Returned at 5pm and room had been made up and bath completely cleaned AROUND the bug. Called Housekeeping to complain and also report 3 burned out light bulbs. Maintenance man was prompt to replace bulbs, but told me "You have to call Housekeeping if you have bugs." Another maintenance man appeared and asked, "Where't the box you want me to pick up?"

Food in restaurants just OK. Automatic 18% gratuity included. Stopping at grocery in Fort Myers and cooking in your unit better idea.

Bring your own beach chairs and towels unless you want to sit in the designated, crowded area for resort equipment. Pools were uncrowded.

Trolley was fine, but at times full. leaving people standing at stop who had waited 15 minutes already. I would have walked, but no walking path or sidewalk--you must either walk alongside the paved road or over on the beach. You have to drive or ride everywhere.