Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Place to stay convenient to Denver Arpt.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be spending 2 nights in Denver in mid-June and want to stay in a nice place from which we can reach the airport easily (but not necessary right by the airport). Any suggestions?
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 03:15 PM

The airport is not at all convenient to anything you would want to experience in Denver. It's pretty far out there. IMHO I would stay downtown (which is not close) but does have transportation if you do not have a car. The other option would be the Inverness Hotel which is close to the airport toll road. It is not close (30 miles) but it is nice and you can get to the airport via several different transportation options. Will you have a car?
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 03:18 PM

The Denver airport is definitely far from town. There are airport shuttles though at a reasonable cost. We use Blue Sky.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks--we will have a car that we will be returning to the airport the morning of our flight (after a 17 day driving trip around Colorado, Wyoming and S. Dakota). We'd like to take a tour of Denver for our final day and just looking for a convenient place--don't want to get stuck in a lot of morning traffic on the way to the airport (on a Tuesday).
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:08 PM

This is what I would do. I would stay at the Inverness hotel. It is about 15 miles from downtown and is a very nice golf club hotel. You can drive right up I-25 to into town to explore the city. Then the morning you leave you get on E-470, it is a toll rode you can drive 70 on during rush hour because few people use it. It takes you straight to the airport and is about 32 miles from Inverness. Go to
www.invernesshotel.com
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:35 PM

with all due respect to milliebz inverness hotel should not be part of your itinerary. if you stay anywhere outside the east denver area (not recommended owing to traffic), make it the Westin in Westminster or the Omni Interlocken. Inverness is all the way down south, and there could be a variety of bottlnecks that you would not want to deal with on your way to the airport.

A better approach would be to check out the brand new (1 year old) Marriott which is right at Gateway (170 and Pena) making it about equidistant to the airport and downtown (max 15-20 minutes either direction). Another suggestion, the Rennaisance Stapleton (Quebec just south of 170) is very nice, and just a short drive from either downtown or the airport. Enjoy!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:50 PM

I would go with Flopmeister's idea of the
Rennaisance Stapleton, I live nearby and can say it is an easy drive to both Downtown and the airport. The inverness is nice but WAY south in the burbs, if you want to see Denver you will want to see Downtown.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 04:45 PM

I personally would just stay downtown. Not sure how much you want to spend but there are lots of choices. If you stay somewhere else and have to drive downtown, believe me the traffic can be just as much of a headache. Pena Blvd isn't that far from downtown and you probably won't encounter bumper to bumper on the way to the airport.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
During our visit to Colorado last year we spent our first two nights at the Comfort Inn downtown and after touring around Colo. we stayed at the airport Marriott the night before our flight left. The Marriott is very nice. President Bush had been there the weekend before us. If you stay at the Marriott, the natural history museum is a great place to stop on the way into the city.