Place of Refuge - Big Island of Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're only spending one day on the Big Island. I know, not enough time, but that's all we got. Anyway, we're flying into Hilo around 8am and renting a car for the day. Flight back is 7:40pm. We were going to focus on route to Volcano Nat'l Park. Location wise, can we see VNP and Place of Refuge? Assuming we're not rushed, I don't like to rush when you're talking Hawaii!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:31 PM

The distance from VNP to Place of refuge is about 80 miles, 160 miles Round Trip. Do you want to spend ~3hours driving through barren terrain?

Would suggest you consider checking other sights in Hilo if time leftover after checking VNP e.g.; Rainbow Falls, Akaka Falls, Tsunami Musuem, Ahalanui Park, Lava Tree Park

See guidebook:
www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigisland.html
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM
bonniebroad

The Place of Refuge is two hours driving time from Volcano to Honaunau on the Kona side. You would spend four hours just getting there and back.

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM

If you were flying out of Kona, I'd say MAYBE yes -- you could make a stop there on the way up to the Kona airport. If you are flying back out of Hilo, I think it would be close to impossible. It will take about two hours to get from VNP to the Place of Refuge, and then about three hours back to Hilo airport. It's an interesting park, but that's a lot of driving to get there and back.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 03:21 PM

If you don't want to rush, and you have to fly both in and out of Hilo the Place of Refuge (and anywhere else on the west side of the BI) is out of reach. Stick with a day trip to VNP or head north per JohnD's list. Personally I'd nix the latter three on his list and head to Hawaii Botanical Gardens instead, especially if you hit good weather (not likely on the Hilo side).
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 03:26 PM
bonniebroad

mlarson, Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens are just amazing, as fdecarlo says. If I were going to try to work in something else along with the park, that would be it! Between the two, you will have a full day.....

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Don't try to fit in the Place of Refuge, it deserves plenty of time and is a destination all its own. Akaka Falls can been seen fairly quickly - about a 20 minute walk through incredible tropical jungle, including hugh banyan trees,a bamboo forest and two story tall ginger to two waterfalls that fall over 400 feet into a gorge. You will pass through the lovely town of Homomu on the way, which has a great little sandwich shop on the main street,a couple of interesting gift shops and a woodworkers shop. I love the Big Island!
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Is it smarter both time wise and sight seeing wise to fly in and out of two DIFFERENT airports? I didn't even think about that option when I booked. I could maybe change my flight plans still if it would work out to my advantage both time wise and travel time! What do you think?
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:55 AM

IMHO if the focus of your visit is Volcanos National Park then fly into and out of Hilo. AFter your arrival, maybe take in Rainbow Falls, PeePee Falls and Boiling Pots, which are actually right in Hilo and beautiful early in the am,(although they have been working on the parking lot at Rainbow Falls), or take the Four Mile Scenic Drive just north of Hilo, which includes the location of the Botanical Gardens and Onomea Bay, with a wonderful not to miss smoothie place (food too) What's Shaken' at the end, or, third option, visit Akaka Falls, which is not too far outside of Hilo - then travel to Volcanos National Park for the rest of your visit and fly back out of Hilo. Trust me, there is a lot to do at the park. Don't try to rush, relax and enjoy the journey. The Big Island is big place and where ever you are it will be spectacular. Aloha
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:58 AM

Aloha mlarson,

I have not done it personally but with your tight schedule, yes it does make sense as long as you know in advance where to drop off your car rental. At KOA the rental cars are outside the terminal in the mauka direction.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:23 AM
bonniebroad

Regarding flying into one airport on B.I., and out the other, you have the rental car situation where sometimes you cannot pick up a rental car on one side and drop it on the other, depending on the car company. At least, it used to be this way; maybe things have changed. But you can only see and do so much in one day.......... I know it's hard to chose, and the Big Island is not one that lends itself easily to a day trip unless you're only interested in VNP (and even then you could spend days doing things around it!)

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 10:04 AM

If you do choose to arrive at one airport and depart from the other, I believe that National does not charge a drop-off fee -- or at least that was the case when I rented from them last month. I picked up a car at Hilo and dropped it at Kona (not on the same day). I'd check this with the rental car companies before changing flights, if you decided to do that.

IMO, either way you can make a nice day of it, so it depends on what you are most interested in seeing.

Have fun.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 10:09 AM
bonniebroad

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... Ms.Go is absolutely right, it wasn't that we could not drop off the car on the other side, but that we would have to pay a big fee. AND she is reminding me that National was the only one that would let you do it without paying that fee, and I guess that's still true. Sorry for misleading anybody!

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 11:56 AM

mlarson: It depends on what you're interested in seeing. Flying out of Kona airport instead of Hilo would put several attractions on the north and west sides of the island within reach for a day trip, e.g. Waipio Valley outlook, Waimea, Hapuna Beach etc. But Gloria is correct, if VNP is your primary focus then forget about Kona airport and the island's westside attractions.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I didn't even think about the car rental drop off issue! From what some of the posts said, it appears I can get a SMALL taste of the "wet" look on the BI by visiting Rainbow Falls and a couple other attractions around Hilo before heading out to VNP. So, I'm going to keep it simple and visit those close to Hilo early that morning, and then head out for VNP.

Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:00 PM

Good idea, mlarson. I originally recommended Place of Refuge, forgetting what a long drive from VNP it would be. There's plenty of beauty to see closer to Hilo, as outlined above. There will be other times to see more - like the Place of Refuge.