Search

Big Island Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Excited

Big Island Question

I will be on the Big Island for seven nights. My original plan was to stay at the Four Seasons Hualalai for the first 5 nights and then move to the Kilauea Lodge, in Volcano, for the last 2 nights. I definitely want to see Volcanoes National Park and a night time lava flow, if there is one visible. Are there any other must sees on the Hilo side of the island? I have heard and read so many wonderful things about the FS Hualalai, I am wondering if I should spend 6 nights there, and only 1 night at Kilauea Lodge. Would 1 night be enough?

For those of you who have experienced both sides of the island and VNP, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks a bunch!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 03:06 PM
anuhea

Don't go to the Volcano the last 2 nites. Spend the last nite at the 4 Seasons. You are probably catching a plane out of Kona, so if you stay the last nite at the Volcano, you will have to get up awfully early to drive almost 150 miles to catch the plane. An option I would take is, fly on a helicopter over the volcano, and forget about staying there. The 4 Seasons is the BEST place to be in Hawaii. If you had several wks, you could stay at the Volcano, but if you try to do all that driving, it willbe a waste of your time, I think. Aloha!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Excited

Anuhea -Thanks for your reply. Actually, I am flying into Kona and out of Hilo, so I won't have a lot of driving before my flight. I could always change my flight to leave out of Kona, but then I won't be able to visit the park or get close to an actual lava flow. Will a helicopter ride over the volcano really be as exciting as going to VNP? Also, I don't know if I'll be able to get a reservation for the 7th night at the FS. I would have to check into it.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 04:33 PM
helen

Akaka Falls is on the Hilo side and is interesting.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Susan

We stayed in Kona the whole time and drove around the island several times. Day trips are fine. We even did a day of horseback riding in the valley on the Hilo side and had plenty of time to get back. We went to VNP and drove around on one day and we took a helicopter tour on another. The helicopter is the only way to get close to an above ground flow if there is one. We got really close. It was really hot! We got some great pictures. Helicopter it the way to see the park.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Excited

Susan, when did you visit the Big Island and which hotel did you stay at in Kona? Also, do you remember the helicopter tour company you used out of Kona?

I was thinking that if I stayed in Kona that I would waste less time driving and be able to spend more time seeing the sights. Also, the Four Seasons is an expensive resort, so while I am paying those rates, I didn't think that it would be a good value to take a whole day trip and be away from the resort all day. Staying inVolcano is far less expensive. Maybe I should rethink that though.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Excited

Any other opinions?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:59 PM
ss

What about the Kula Lodge

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Excited

ss Where is the Kula Lodge?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:35 AM
excited

ttt

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:29 AM
hans

I love the Kilauea Lodge. Two nights will actually work well. It can take a good aprt of the day to get from Kona to Volcano if you want to stop frequently. (Actually 2-3 hours if you move along). So the first day you get to the Volcano mid-afternoon, check in, and then head down the Chain of Crater's road to see the eruption. The next day, you have breakfast at the Lodge, explore the park before it gets crowded, take a nap, and have a great dinner at the Lodge. That leaves the last day for a casual start (including breakfast again at the Lodge with their sweetbread french toast)and then out through Hilo.

Could you do it in a day? Sure but it would be rushed. I really like the VNP including hiking trails like Kilauea Iki which takes 4 hours so I may take longer than many others. Many people come to Hawai'i and say the best part of their trip was right at the end when they slowed down.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Excited

Thanks Hans. Msybe I do nbeed 2 days, then, because I also want to stop at Akaka Falls on the way to Volcano, as well as the Botanic Gardens. I thought that it might be possible to leave about 9AM, visit the Falls and Gardens, and get to VNP by 2:30. Explore VNP until approximately 6 PM, and then head over to where ever I'll be able to see the lava flow at night. Then end the day with dinner at the Lodge.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Excited

Hoping for a few more replies, please.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:00 PM
cindy

My husband and I spent 8 nights on the Big Island as part of a 3 island trip just a month ago. We stayed at the Kilauea Lodge for two nights and I thought it was just the right length to stay. Kileaua lodge is beautiful and the ferns are gorgeous. Staying two nights gives you the opportunity to explore the volcano area for two days. We also stayed at the Four seasons for four nights, one night at the Hapuna Beach Prince hotel, and one night in the Waipio Valley area. Some may say that staying in so many different places is too much moving around but we liked the variety. Don't miss the National Botanical Garden near Hilo. It was incredible and one of the highlights from our trip. Enjoy your trip.. the Big Island is so diverse and there is so much to see.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Lani

Two nights at Kilauea Lodge will be perfect - that's what we did, then spent the other 5 nights at the Outrigger Waikoloa on the other side. I love the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens, a high point of our trip, and the City of Refuge is not be be missed. Have a wonderful time!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:21 AM
Excited

Cindy and Lani, I am glad to hear that you loved the Botanical Gardens. I am looking forward to that very much. I absolutely love tropical flowers, and my husband enjoys photographing them. Aprroximately how much time should we allow for our visit to the Gardens? Did either of you visit Akaka Falls? If you did, what did you think?

Cindy, I have so many questions for you, if you don't mind answering them. It sounds like you and I both enjoy planning similar types of vacations. I love variety, but I try not to change hotels too much since my husband enjoys that aspect of traveling less.

1. Which were the other 2 islands you visited? How long and where did you stay on each? We will be visiting 4 islands over 21 nights, in 6 different accommodations.

2. How did you enjoy the Four Seasons? I have read in so many threads that the resort is so beautiful and relaxing that, once you are there, you don't want to leave, not even to tour the island. Did you feel this way? I am trying to decide if I should change the number of nights at FS and the Lodge because I don't want to regret staying one less night at the FS to move to the Lodge. I also do not want to feel like I've missed anything in Hilo or at VNP. I know that this sounds rediculous but, it seems that as many nights as we have, it always seems like I can use just one more night on each island to see all that I want to see -and to leave some time for relaxation.

3. Did you go to the Lodge at the beginning or end of you BI stay?

4. Are there any specific tours, activities, or beaches that you would highly recommend on the BI, or the other islands?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 03:43 PM
Excited

Hoping Cindy will see this post.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:46 PM
burta

I live in Hawaii and had a chance to stay at the Kilauea Lodge earlier this year. I think you'll love the contrast between Hualalai, which is supposed to be very upscale and oceanfront in a very warm and dry part of the Big Island, and the volcano area, which is cooler (because of the elevation) and wetter. The food at the lodge is great and the service wonderful. Even locals drive the almost 20 miles from Hilo for dinner at the lodge, so you know it's something special. Accommodations at the lodge are spacious, but quaint. There are no TV's except in the common rooms.

Your original plan sounds great. Have a terrific vacation.

Aloha!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:13 AM
Excited

Hi burta! Thanks for your reply. So, you are recommending 5 nights at the Four Seasons and 2 nights at Kilauea Lodge, also. One night probably wouldn't be enough time on the east side of the island. What I need is 8 nights so I can have 6 and 2. I'm very excited about this trip though, no matter how many nights it is! Thanks again!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:35 PM
ttt

ttt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -