Pizzaria Uno - Chicago

Search

Pizzaria Uno - Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pizzaria Uno - Chicago

I just have a question. I understand that the Pizzaria Uno in Chicago is the original restaurant. I have tried some of the chains around New England and am not a very big fan of the pizza or other entrees. Is the pizza basically the same at the Chicago location or is it much better? I am trying to decide where to go for deep dish when I am in town this weekend.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:03 AM

OK, it's been a long time. I ate several times at both Pizzeria Uno and Due back in 1990. I had friends who loved the place. They're a few blocks away from each other but were owned by the same people.

Back then Pizzeria Uno was not like the chain Pizzeria Uno of today. The original did not have tomato sauce. They would put crushed tomatoes on the pizza with the other toppings. The claim was the tomatoes would cook down into a sauce. Not in my book. It takes forever to make a good tomato sauce. Baking a few fresh tomatoes with other pizza toppings for 30 minutes does not make a sauce. I thought it made the pizza sloppy and wet.

Personally I prefer the chain pizza of today over the original. Don't know how much this has changed in 15 years.

I like Gino's East deep dish with the charred pepperoni a lot more. Also Edwardo's stuffed spinach is top notch in my book.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Another top pizza is Lou Malnatis--good other entrees too. Do a search on this website-there have been tons of posts on pizza in Chicago.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:13 AM

I live in Chicago and took my niece and nephew there a couple of years ago. Worst pizza I have ever had. Nothing but a bland hunk of dough. I honestly don't understand why people (mostly tourists) eat here let alone actually stand in line for this place.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Hi Dori, too bad they haven't changed. Thanks for the confirmation though since it's been a long time for me. I don't know why my friends liked their pizza either.

Is Portillo's the local chain still around? I thought they had a great Italian beef sandwich and burger too.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

I am not fussy as far as toppings go, but my young neuice (9) only will eat cheese pizza. What would suggestions be then for the best deep dish CHEESE pizza in Chicago (with plenty of sauce)?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 12:57 PM

As for Portillos, none are franchised and all are still owned by Dick Portillo the founder and all employees are required to go through very rigorous training so the quality should be good at all of them-the one most frequented by tourists is on Ohio--great beef sandwiches. Another great beef sandwiches is Al's Beef, just down the street from Portillos and across from Gino's East.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:57 AM

My favorite pizza has always been Giordanos. There are several locations downtown. You might try the one on Rush Street that's a couple of blocks west of Michigan Avenue.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 05:22 AM
JES

Just ate at Pizzeria Uno's and wish I hadn't. It was too garlicky, not enough sauce (or tomato since they don't use sauce), and the crust was a horrible heavy piece of flavorless dough. What a waste with all of the other great places to eat.
I have tried most of them and my vote for the best deep dish pizza in Chicago by far goes to My Pie (algerbraic pie symbol is used) on Clark in Lincoln Park. The tomato sauce is so delicious, the crust is absolutely the best.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Another vote for Giordanos pizza-plenty of cheese and sauce. They also have individual pizzas, so you could each get your own toppings. However, the individuals are quite filling for one.