Pittsburgh to Philadelphia

Mar 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Pittsburgh to Philadelphia

In late August, early September I'm planning on driving to Cincinnati, up to Pittsburgh, over to State College, then to Philadelphia and downward home to Nashville. The purpose of this trip is to visit a friend in State College, but want to explore on the round-a-bout trip. I've seen some posts with great ideas for Philadelphia, but not for Pittsburgh. Please help with sites to visit and areas to stay. I like history, art, pop culture, and festivals. For hotels, I'm fond of the $100 range. Thought one full day in Pittsburgh might cover it and I'll have time for a couple of interesting stops before and after State College. Also, I'll be homeward bound down I81 through Virginia. Any ideas for places along that highway will be appreciated.
Mar 27th, 2006, 04:00 PM

> I like history, art, pop culture, and festivals

My recommendation is to visit
1) the Carnegie Art Museum
2) since you'll be there and have paid for it anyway, you may as well visit the Carnegie Museum of Natural History as well.
3) Point Park, which several people have occupied trying to maintain control of these rivers.
4) University of Pittsburgh, Cathedral of Learning

If you have a little extra time, make a stop at Fort Necessity National Battlefield. Find out how a world war started because George Washington couldn't understand French (this is NOT a joke!).
Mar 27th, 2006, 05:26 PM

It'll be a bit out of your way. But SE of Pittsburgh is Fallingwater--Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece.

And a short distance away is Kentuck Knob, AKA the Hagan House, another Wright jewel.

For info on the former: http://www.paconserve.org/index-fw1.asp . I'd strongly suggest the in-depth tour. There's one each day, at 8:30AM. And still photography is allowed, which it isn't on the regular tour(s.) The latter don't begin until 10.
Mar 28th, 2006, 03:45 AM

For hotels in Pittsburgh, try booking from priceline.com. I use it to get 4* hotels there (basically only either the Westin or the Omni) and nearly always get one or the other for $60-75/night. If you're there during the week you'll also have to pay for parking to park downtown - $10-20 for the night (on weekends you can park on the street easily). The other option for hotels based upon where you might visit, would be Oakland (where the Carnegie Museums & Cathedral of Learning are)- however if you're there in late August when the fall term is about to start you may want to avoid driving in Oakland (as it's also where Univ. of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon, Carlowe College are located). The Holiday Inn is the best located hotel in Oakland for sightseeing.

If you visit the Cathedral of Learning, definitely make a stop at Heinz Chapel (adjacent to the Cathedral), and consider a Nationality Room tour - there are 25(?) different classrooms in the Cathedral that are designed & decorated by local ethnic groups. Some are very impressive!

Perhaps also swing over to the North side - the Andy Warhol museum is over there, and though you didn't mention sports in late August it's always fun to catch a Pirates game!

On your way to State College you could take the beautiful drive across 22 east with side-trips to Fallingwater & Ligonier, then catch 99 North....or you could do the northern route (28N to 80E) and make a stop in Punxsatawney to see Gobbler's Knob.

From State College to Philly the most direct route is 322 to Harrisburg then the turnpike to Philly...but definitely consider a detour down toward Lancaster and east from there through Amish country - a beautiful drive!

You could also do that drive on your way back from Philly to 81 - but on that route definitely consider a stop in Gettysburg if you haven't been.

Enjoy your trip!
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:35 AM

Pittsburgh is the mother of all neighborhood festivals. If you can't find a street festival (with extremely good food) in Pgh in August, I'll eat my hat. Be sure to check the paper or the `what's happening'.
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:05 PM

preds look at the SW trip suggestion thread lots of other people responded to. I posted a website to a coal mining tour which would look to be interesting in nearby Tarentum. There is the Andy Warhol Museum on the North Side, along with the Carnegie Science Center. If you come by in late August I believe the Pirates are at home. I'd also highly suggest the Carnegie Museums, lots of fossils (insects, birds), dinosaur bones and skeletons, gems very interesting stuff. Around the Carnegie Museum are some neat ethnic restaurants on Craig Street. There is the Cathedral of Learning within walking distance too with its ethnic classrooms. I'd also highly recommend Falling Water and Kentuck Knob. These 2 places are off the PA Turnpike. Frank Lloyd Wright was a fantastic architect with such a fondness for straight line and mission style.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:03 AM

In Pittsburgh we like to stop at the Church Brew Works for lunch and beers.

Have you considered Columbus or Cleveland?
Apr 4th, 2006, 05:52 AM

If you like pop art then you must visit:

The Andy Warhol Museum
http://www.warhol.org/

The Mattress Factory Museum
http://www.mattress.org/

Both are located near each other on the North Side.

If you have time, then hit Falling Water on your way east
http://www.paconserve.org/index-fw1.asp

I would stay in either Shadyside or the South Side and check out the galleries there as well.
Apr 4th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information. I love this opportunity for ideas.
I've been to Cleveland twice, especially to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I'll consider Columbus another time.
I'll definitely look into Fallingwater, the Carnegie Museum and the other places mentioned.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM

Try the Heinz History Museum as well. It will give you a great look back at the people and the development of Pittsburgh. It's located in the Strip district. Not sure what day of the week you will be in PIT, but if it's a Saturday, the shopping in the strip is like a festival itself. The "Strip District" is full of wholesale food shops, street vendors, etc.
If you like Pop Art, then definitely the Warhol museum. On some Friday nights they have a "Good Friday" wine tasting.