Pittsburgh Restaurants

Nov 16th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Tabitha

Pittsburgh Restaurants

My hubbie and I will be visiting his elderly widowed mother in Pittsburgh in early December. We want to take Mother Marlena to a top-flight restaurant in the Pittsburgh area (sorry, no Mexican or Chinese). Any suggestions?

Nov 16th, 2001, 08:43 AM
S

Which side of Pittsburgh does she live on?

Nov 16th, 2001, 08:59 AM
x

take her to the Grand Concourse at Station Square....

Nov 16th, 2001, 09:52 AM
AG

I also recommend the Grand Concourse; that's where I took my spouse when we visited in August. They have a wonderful location on the river across from downtown Pittsburgh. Also, it's in a beautiful historic building.

They serve standard American cuisine -- no Chinese or Mexican.

Nov 16th, 2001, 10:17 AM
x

they`re are also other good restaurants in PGH.--Ruth`s Chris is downtown..I suggested the Grand Concourse because it is a very upscale restaurant along the river..also some very good restaurants on Mt.Washington(on top of Station Sq.) and also good restaurants on the South Side...ck out www. pittsburgh.com and DEb`s recs. on that site....I`llgive my e-mail add. if you need more info...but my upscale would be GC..

Nov 16th, 2001, 10:26 AM
pirates fan

I recommend Max & Erma's on Stanwix Street downtown. Excellent food and great service. The one on Gamma Drive in Fox Township is newer, but I think it has less character. Some of them even have magicians--or used to, at least.

Nov 16th, 2001, 10:35 AM
xx

Max and Erma`s is not top flight.it is a chain restaurant....

Nov 16th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Rachel

I lived in Pgh in the early 80s. There used to be (and may still be) a great restaurant in downtown Pgh behind the courthouse, had a legal sort of name that I cant remember. It was elegant and the food terrific. they brought a huge cheese and fruit tray after dinner. The William Penn used to have a great restaurant also. If anyone remembers the "legal" restaurant, please post.

Nov 16th, 2001, 01:09 PM
kal

Rachal,
Common Plea on Ross?
A co-worker of mine has a son in law that cooks there. She was back there last year and was impressed

I haven't been back to The Pitt in over 5 yrs but we hit some good restaurants in the Southside but by "top flight" does Tabitha mean suit/tie restaurant?

We ate that the restaurant up on the US Steel Bldg. Good food and excellent view.

Another co-worker just got back and recommended "Chruch Brew Works" on Liberty. Brew pub in an old church with very good food. They found it very interesting.
Kal
44 mo' days

Nov 16th, 2001, 01:21 PM
x

the Top of the Triangle in the USSteel building is closed...yes, the Brew Works is unique....I think Tabitha means dress up....come back and tell us what you have in mind,Tabitha....

Nov 16th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Lynn

Well, for upscale, there is also the Carlton Restaurant downtown in Mellon Bank Center. The chef at the Steelhead Grille in the Marriott Hotel has gotten many good reviews, although I have only personally eaten breakfast there. If you want a view to go with the price, try the restaurants on Mt. Washington, if you want trendy and/or ethnic, head for the South Side.

Nov 17th, 2001, 09:11 AM
terri

The Monterrey Bay on Mt. Washington (for seafood) has received rave reviews from everyone I know (I've never been there, I am not a seafood buff). Or, the LeMont, also on Mt. Washington is great. If you want to make it a special evening, Mt. Washington is the place to go.