Pittsburgh - Must see's/don't miss/2 days/parking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be meeting my girlfriend in Pittsburgh for a couple days this weekend, and niether of us have ever been there...we're staying at a hotel near the airport, and attending the Penguins game on Saturday night. Other than that, I'm just looking for any advice as far as any 'must see/do' items including restaurants, museums, etc. I realize that we can only do so much in a short period of time, but i'd like to have some options and go from there. As of now, the plan would be to plant ourselves in the 'downtown' area and just hang around and see what catches our interest.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 08:21 AM

Take a look at the Mt Washington incline. Great view of the city. For lunch, I would go to a Primanti Bros. Restaurant (great sandwiches). There is also an Andy Warhol museum there if interested.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Definitely take the incline up from Station Square for great views -- there is an overlook platform a short walk from the incline station at top. The South Side neighborhood (at the top of the incline) is good for barhopping and music --> head for Carson Street.

The Strip District is not too far from the Igloo -- it is the wholesale district, with amazing stuff from all over, good for walking around on a weekend morning, and sampling the food.

Nice art and science museums in Oakland, where the universities are; also check out the Phipps Conservatory in that neighborhood. Too far to walk from downtown though.

Primanti Bros may be found in the Strip, Downtown, Southside, and Oakland.

Point state park is at the very tip of land where the three rivers meet -- a nice place to spend an afternoon.

Go Pens!
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 09:31 AM

If you'll be there on Friday night, you can do "Good Fridays" at the Andy Warhol Museum--half-price admission from 5 - 10pm and cash bar.
On Saturday or Sunday morning/early afternoon, you could tour the Nationality Rooms in the Cathedral of Learning on the University of Pittsburgh campus in Oakland. I've been twice and find them fascinating. See the following for more info: http://www.pitt.edu/~natrooms/
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM

When visiting Pittsburgh a few years ago, we took a river tour. It gave a quick overview of the core area where the rivers meet. Along with the incline, it's worth considering because of your short-amount of time in the city. A small album is at http://tinyurl.com/yhuk3bm .
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM

If you want to just walk around an area, check out Shadyside (near Oakland where the universities and museums are). It has probably the best shopping in the city of Pittsburgh (and IMO the best restaurants, such as Casbah, SOBA, and Typhoon)
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank all of you. I'll be back to Pittsburgh over the next year or two and plan to do all of this!!! Any more ideas are welcome.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM

A few from the top of my list:

- Sunday brunch at Station Square
- Sandwiches at Primanti Bros (preferably in the strip district but Oakland is OK)
- Fries at the O's
- Carnegie Museum
- Point Park
- Ride the Incline up Mt. Washington
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM

If you are a baseball fan and are there during the season, PNC Park is a great stadium. Its my favorite out of the 25 that I have been to.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:22 AM

We too will soon be in Pittsburgh for a wedding and plan to either go earlier, or stay later. Where would you suggest staying for seeing the sites and exploring the area? Is downtown best, or are there better places in the burbs? Thx.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Kal

Heinz History Center was very nice.

"Yo Rita" on Carson was a great place with a very imaginative menu...and you meet the nicest people there! ;-)

If you like to walk, there are jogging/walking paths that border the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers down to The Point and the views of all the bridges and the rivers are very nice.

e_g...we loved staying at The Hilton right there at The Point St Park.
We could lay in bed and see where the 3 Rivers meet and you can walk just about everywhere.
Taxis were fairly inexpensive and the taxi drivers were very nice and helpful on area info.

The views from Mt. Washington are breathtaking when you think of all the history that came down thru that valley.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Kal

...and pretty inexpensive parking right there by the Hilton once you come thru the Ft Pitt tunnel.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Agree with the Hilton. The rates are right and the scenery is spectacular!
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Thanks kal & bookhall, but its full when we need to go!? i'll keep trying to get in on a cancellation but in the meantime, what would be your 2nd, or even 3rd choice?
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Kal

There's a nice Marriott across the street from The Igloo.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM

IMO, I wouldn't stay at the Hilton. Its in the middle of issues with the construction workers working on its renovation...http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09309/1010957-28.stm

I'm not sure if the issues will be resolved by the time you go...or if the renovations will have finished.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Kal

I guess a lot of other people aren't staying their either because it's booked.

They tried their best to cover up the construction while we were there and also due to the NFL mucky mucks and media being there too.

The Marriott by the Igloo did have a nice bar from what I recall.

The Southside Sheraton has nice views too and is right next to Station Square. You can catch the boats and the "ducks" and incline there too.