Search

Ping's or Dim Sum Go Go in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:10 PM
Jxx
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ping's or Dim Sum Go Go in NYC?

I know this has been asked a thousand times, but I hope you'll bear with me. Restaurants come and go so quickly, and quality can be up and down, so I thought I'd ask for up-to-date dim sum suggestions.

Can someone suggest a pretty reliable place for dim sum in New York? I've noticed Ping's and Dim Sum Go Go mentioned, as well as Golden Unicorn and Mandarin Court (I think). Any favorites?

Carts or menu service -- either is fine, that's not important. It's more important to me that the restaurant serves standard Cantonese dim sum dishes rather than a fusion or nouveau type menu.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:43 AM

THe Golden Unicorn was excellent; quite nice and tasty and filled with Chinese families...very comfortable dining room too, delicious food. Dim Sum Go Go has a bright/harsh/modern interior that made me feel a bit edgy. The food at DSGG was so "authentic" that even my husband (the most adventurous eater of all) was leery of the legs, petals, fungus, and other goo that ended up on our table with no identification.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:46 AM

I've been to Golden Unicorn a few times and it's very good, they are Cantonese, most of the servers don't speak Mandarin, or English bear in mind. Also been to YSF on Bowery, it's huge, the food is good, but the whole operation is a little on the rude side.

If you've never been to Golden Unicorn, it's a little weird getting there, you walk into an office building, take an elevator up one floor and teh door opens into the middle of the restaurant. The first time I went, I wasn't quite sure I had the right place.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:01 AM
JVS

Golden Unicorn is fantastic. I recommend it highly.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:37 AM

Here's another place for dim sum that my family's been going to for about 20 years (so much for the come and go:

Hop Shing Restaurant Inc
Address: 9 Chatham Sq
New York, NY 10038

I always suggest that people also order off the menu (lo min, lobster cantonese) and walk off their meal by walking across the bklyn bridge.