Search

piano bars

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:03 PM
ktell

piano bars

Staying on Avenue of the America's and 53rd St. Are there any dueling piano bars in the area? When searching the internet I see plenty of piano bars but they are ALL geared toward Gay & Lesbian. Can a "straight" couple walk into these places and feel comfortable? Which are the best?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:07 PM
John K

Non-Gay people are always welcome at piano bars in New York. How "comfortable" you feel is completely up to you.
Have fun.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:27 PM
Owen O'Neill

I'm not sure thare are any of the "dueling" piano bars in NYC. I believe most piano bars in the city are geared towards cabaret style entertainment - vocals and piano of a somewhat traditional variety. As John pointed out, everyone is welcome and I'm sure a "straight" couple (or single for that matter) won't feel out of place. I'm sure there may be a piano bar or two in the city that caters mostly to a gay clientele but the broad appeal of this music is such that you will nearly always find a mixed crowd (indeed, in many such places it will be a predominately straight crowd). IMHO, it's also important to understand that an establishment having gay clientele (at least in NYC) does not indicate that you'll be seeing public displays of affection that you'd be uncomfortable with. If you asked about going to a dance club that specifically marketed itself to a gay crowd I'd suggest that you look elsewhere as you might feel out of place. I have been both by myself and with two three different women friends (in a dating situation and yes we are all "straight") to cabaret style entertainment venues in NYC. In most cases the crowd was mixed and we thorughly enjoyed ourselves on all occasions. We chatted with our neighbors at adjacent tables, joked around before the music started and had a great time - I'm sure you will too. Go and have fun - I'm sure you will. Speaking of cabaret/piano... I've always wanted to see Bobby Short at the Cafe carlyle as it is said to be a quintessential NY experience. Still saving my pennies for that one - it's said to be great fun but is VERY pricey. If an entertainer that interests you happens to be playing, consider going to Joe's Pub at the Public Theatre. Reserve tix in advance and get there well before it opens to wait in line - seating is extremely limited but it's a fantastic room to see music in and has amazing acoustics.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:32 PM
Elizabeth

Have you looked at the listings under Cabaret in Time Out New York?

Also--I think Knickerbocker's, or Knickerbocker Bar, or Grill, or whatever, on University Place, has either a piano or jazz. It's not your area though.

It's my impression that the midtown cabarets aren't gay bars.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
ktell

Thank you for your thoughts.
I look forward to exploring the cabaret scene. It will be a new adventure for me.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:03 PM
Patrick

I keep missing it, but a lot of people rave about the fun times they have at Don't Tell Mama, on 46th Street right across from Joe Allen's restaurant. There is a variety of cabaret entertainment and piano bar as well. I believe there is different entertainment in two different rooms, and it is apparently more straight than gay. More information on this one, anybody?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Elizabeth

I've gone to hear people I knew play & sing at Don't Tell Mama. I think ithas two rooms. Our show was in the back, and a piano bar in the front. The crowd was very appealing, no particular group dominating. I would like to go back & sit in the piano bar room. It's got the vibe of real New York to me.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:24 AM
al

If it's rather cheesy piano bar entertainment you want, go to a restaurant called Mimi's, on 2nd Avenue and either 52nd or 53rd. (You can't miss it, it's right on the corner.) Seems that on Friday night the locals all gather there 'round the old piano and belt out their favorite show tunes. I'm not talking karaoke, I'm talking belting out these numbers like the wannabee broadway stars that they are. Great fun. Was there on a Sunday recently and the same thing was going on, except the pianist was an incredibly gay guy from the south who was really very funny (for a gay guy from the south).

Food-wise, Mimi's is an Italian red sauce place, not the best Italian you'll ever eat but certainly not the worst. They're not in Zagats -- it's one of those places the locals go. For me and Mrs. [email protected], dinner for 2, with a little wine, comes to about $50-$60.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Diana

What a kick to hear that Mimi's is still there. It really is a fun place, and the piano player does know the "great American Song Book." And some of the locals are pretty good. You're right, food is not the main attraction. Go and have fun!