Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Photo moments-how to hire amateur photographer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I crazy? I've always thought it would be fun to hire a amateur photographer (maybe a student looking for a little extra $ ) to follow you around (for a couple hours) during your vacation taking photos of your "Kodak moments". It seems like I am the only one who worries about taking the "perfect" pictures on a trip and they never really capture the moment.
I am particularly interested in this for a special trip we are planning for our daughter's first trip to NY.
Anyone heard of this idea or how to find a photographer?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:13 PM

What a great idea. I would call one of the colleges in the area you are going to visit and ask the art department if there are any students who would be interested. This sounds like a great student project.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:55 PM
mp

You might try contacting The School of Visual Arts, New York, see if they have a student employment center or try the photography department. Or you could call the International center of Photography, which runs community based workshops I think, and they might be able to connect you . . .
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Excellent idea, I have boxes of vacaion photos and I am starting to wonder if I was really there because I am in so few of the pictures !
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Well, heck. I wish I lived in NYC. I am not a student now, although I was one for a long time, but I did just go to NYC a couple of times (including one trip with my daughter). I would love to take up this assignment and am qualified, but I don't think you want to pay for my airfare from NC and hotel. I had a photography teacher here recruit a few of us to do something similar before a wedding, but the couple didn't go through with their plans. Mp made good recommendations about how to find someone. This does sound like a good job for a photography student - either high school or college. Take a look at NYIP's site at www.nyip.com.

On the other hand, do you want someone taking photos of everything you do? At least you would get to see how it feels to be a celebrity.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Excellent suggestions. I am glad to know this wasn't such a goofy idea.
Dan: too bad your not in NY, sounds like you could help me out. And, no we won't photograph everything.....just the NY famous highlights, making sure everyong gets in the picture and I won't have to worry about missing the perfect shot.