Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Photography in NYC: Are subways off limits? Any other sites?

Old Nov 7th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my previous posts had a reader who suggested that photographs are verboten in the NYC subways and subway stations. This seems like it cannot be true. I understand sensitive places like a UN Security Checkpoint or a Police Station or something, but a place as public as the NY subway?

Is this accurate?

Are there any other places where photography is prohibited/ limited? (besides museums, of course).
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM

As I recall there was some sort of attempt some time ago to restrict photography in the subways. But there was huge objection to that - and the idea was just dropped.
Re photography in museums - the policy at the Metropolitan Museum is = photography is allowed in the permanent collection galleries - but no flash. Generally - for the special exhibitions, however, photography is not permitted since many of the works are on loan. Not sure about the policy in other museums - but probably the same but it can vary. Check at the museum.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 05:34 AM
mp

Here's the ruling from the MTA site:

Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM

The police also reserve the right to inspect you bags but people often take photos in the subway.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM

If you want to take photos with a small hand held camera you should have no problems. But - if you're planning on setting up a photo shoot - that is using lights or even a tripod expect the police to question you - and probably ask you to move on if you are in any way obstructing traffic.

The company I work for uses NYC as our theme/backdrop and have a photo of the entire staff take place in from of one of the colorful above ground stations each year, This is done by a professional photo - with hand held camera but also with a light, a reflector and a small step ladder. to do so he has to obtain a permit from the police department in advance - and we are limited in terms of equipment and the amount of time we take - and cannot in any way impeded access to the station.

Generally the rules are the same throughout the city - hand held tourist photos are OK - but using other other equipment or taking more than a few minutes requires approval of the police (and, of course, anyplace you may be showing in the photo). If you are contemplating any commercial use of the photo you have to obtain written permission from anyone/place that you show.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 11:33 AM

According to signs on the George Washington Bridge, photography is prohibited there.

I would imagine that such signs exist on the other Port Authority Bridges. I have not seen such a sign on the Brooklyn Bridge.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Bending the thread here but there are some great photography exhibits at the Met, the Museum of the City of NY and the International Center for Photography when you are around.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 07:08 PM

Proof that pictures can be taken in the NYC subway:

http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/...F?source=pw980

best scene using full screen.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM

scene should be seen
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

@Michael: I think SCENE is a fun take on the subject!
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Michael, what charming scenes - thank you for posting that link. So often, we're rushing through subways & railway stations oblivious to lovely artworks such as these.

As others have said, no-one seems to object to non-professional photographers, I couldn't resist some in Union Station in Washington and Grand Central in NYC. Also took some in the underground station at Madrid airport without any comment from the guards.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Michael: Those really are fun! Thanks!
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM

In terms of space usage, the one on 81 St., 8th Ave. local, is exceptional. It is a two level station and the design which is related to the Museum of Natural History's collection takes full advantage of the two level station. One should walk through the entire uptown and downtown platforms and then take the 79th St. exit.