Reload this Page >

photo ID's to check in for a flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:59 AM
goNets

Hi. I just printed out my Orbitz itinerary companion (paper print out that I should have on me as back up for my e-ticket) and the companion states...
"For check in purposes, you'll need a government-issued photo ID."
I only have a non-photo Jersey drivers license and a work ID from a major telecom company. Will these forms be sufficient, or will I need to get down to the DMV and get a photo license?
By the way, I'll be flying out of Newark to O'Hare.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:02 PM
xx

You will need to go to the DMV and get a picture driver's liscense. The airlines WILL NOT accept your work ID.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Michelle

You will most certainly need a license with a photo.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Owen O'Neill

If you have a US passport it will also be accepted.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:18 PM
goNets

Thanks for the quick response. I'm off to the DMV. Yikes!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Duh

It says "GOVERNMENT" issued "PHOTO" I.D. What do you suppose that means????? Or do you figure you're the exception to the rule?

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:11 PM
goNets

Duh.
That' a very appropriate name for you.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Sluggo

No need to get hostile, Duh. My employer happens to be a government. And I have a photo ID, employer/gov't issued. Meets the specs.
But it's not accepted. 92-yr old mother in law has never had a DL, or a passport. I guess she can stay home.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:40 PM
marilyn

I think you can get a photo ID at the DMV that is not a drivers license. At least, that's what nondrivers in Illinois who don't have a passport do.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 02:12 PM
jersey

I visited "The County Store" in a mall in NJ. If you have one near you, call to see when they take photos for Government issued photo ID cards.( call your county office and inquire there). If I remember correctly, you need to bring a couple forms of ID with you. The card is free and I used it on my last flight. I hope this helps.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 02:15 PM
John

Need Photo ID??? not so...at least going from Portland to Hawaii and back.
One of my employee's just returned from there last week. He forgot his ID at home( not the smartest thing to do these days) but they let him thru security after searching him. And he got home on time, so they let him on the plane on the return trip as well...so much for security huh?

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 02:17 PM
John

a post script to that..he was traveling with his mother and she had ID so maybe that helped

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Connie

I took four different flights this week and had to show my photo I.D. twice each time--once at security and once at the gate.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 04:27 PM
sallymae

John, Your story of someone on a plane without photo ID makes me rather nervous! What airport and which airlines? I'll try not to fly them.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 04:22 AM
india

I went thru ORD and gate agent looked at my ID, and ticket, but not once did she look at me. I watched her way before I got there. To busy talking to about 4 other agents there in their (spanish) language..

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Geoff

Sallymae,

You might as well stop flying anywhere on any airline. I am also from NJ, and the problem is if you renew your license via mail, you do not get a photo. The state really prefers it that way, but now for airline regs we really need the photo. I've explained that to all of the airlines I've flown recently and have never been turned down from any of them. I've flown more than a dozen times without a photo. They ask for more ID than just the license, but with a bunch of other non-photo documentation they all let it go. I rather stop the questions, so I'm going to get a photo license, but in the mean time it's not stopping anyone.