photo editing software

Search

photo editing software

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
photo editing software

I'm trying to choose photo editing software. I am particularly interested in Adobe Photoshop Elements or Microsoft Digital Image but am concerned that they may be more complicated than I need or can handle, and I'm pretty computer-literate. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:14 PM

What specific kinds of editing do you want to do with the software?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:12 AM

If you want something simple to master, get Google's Picasa http://picasa.google.com/. It's also free. It allows you to crop, adjust exposure/contrast/saturation, etc., and catalogue your images. Start with that, and if you "outgrow" it go up to Photoshop Elements.

Liz
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Go for Photoshop Elements.

It can be as basic as you wish with easy "auto fix" features or you can explore and learn at your own pace.

Don't be nervous...if you've learned how to use your digital camera then you'll have no trouble with PS Elements.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Hands down! Adobe Photo Elements 4.0. It's as simple as you want now and as complex as you may want later. The 'Auto Fix' features are simple and you can go on from there. The auto straighten feature and the lighten shadows feature are worth the low price by themselves.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:29 AM

I used to get film developed at WalGreen's and get the prints on a disc. The disc had software on it to use for editing purposes. It was free and did simple editing and was easy to use. Once I installed it on computer, I can use it now to edit my digital pics too. It is called: Photoshow Express. You can buy an upgraded version that allows more advanced editing for about $30 I think.

Also. Adobe Photoshop Album Starter is easy to use.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Another vote for Photoshop Elements 4.0. I've only owned it for a couple of weeks and am still learning but I am continually amazed at all it can do. As others have said, there is a learning curve to use all its features but it is surprisingly simple to get some dramatic improvements in your photos.

I finally purchased it after having tried a number of the free or less expensive post-processing packages which all disappointed me. Elements cost about $100 but, for me, it is a worthwhile investment.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:06 AM

You might also try The Gimp, an open source image editing program: www.gimp.org. It's a full-featured and completely free image editing program, probably more for advanced users however than novices.

For basic editing/sizing there's also the free IrFanView - www.irfanview.com .

Andrew
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

The majority definitely favor Photoshop Elements.
Interestingly, I went into Barnes & Noble and checked my library's catalog, and they have numerous books about Photoshop but not one single book on the latest version of Digital Image.
Also, the staff I've with whom I've talked in CompUSA, Staples, and Ritz Camera all lean toward Photoshop.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:18 PM

I think the reason for that is Photoshop is "THE" software of choice for professional photographers for post-processing. It's been around a long time, has the bugs worked out, and is very feature rich. It is also very complicated with a long learning curve and fairly expensive ($600).

Elements is a nice subset of Photoshop. It is not as complicated and not nearly as expensive but has features that should please most semi-pro and serious non-pro photographers.

As Mscarls said, it also has a more extensive set of "how to" books written for it than any of the other products I am aware of.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:30 PM

I would send an e-mail to CBS and ask them what photo editing software they used to make Katie Couric thin.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Which ever software you choose, your first assignment will be to solve the mystery of the "Stupid Knee" and report back. Enquiring minds want to know.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Photoshop elements is great/good value--I use it at work with Adobe Pagemaker and continue to learn new features on both. Scrapbooking Adobe Photoshop Album is free. It may be free without Photoshop, I don't remember.

Also free, you can download Kodak easyshare:
www.kodak.com/ select support center, choose online support/downloads, kodak easyshare, "learn more and download free." Editing is REALLY simple and the program has a very good system for managing/printing photos. Doesn't matter what type of camera you have.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:22 PM

PhotoShop Elements is pretty easy to learn and fun to play with. You can do just about anything with this software. Good luck with your shopping!