PHONIX, SEDONA, GRAND CANYON

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELLO, looking for advice on how to best fit in Sedona & Grand Canyon, Oct 11 - 15, 2007. (flying in to Phoenix, 10/11, flying out 10/15, so really only 3 full days). Where to stay? Somewhere central between the 2? (we'll rent a car). Not familiar with the area at all, looks like a lot of hotels, resorts, are already showing no vacancy. We'd like to do sight seeing around Sedona, & art galleries, maybe visit a spa for an afternoon. (3 women need pampering!) But, would also like to see Grand Canyon, or, a small portion of it. Possibly a hike at Grand Canyon area, not too strenuous. I realize so much info on line, & I'm looking, but, now the time is fast approaching, & we have not made our reservations. Thanks for all the help.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Sounds like you girls will have a fun weekend! Good luck with your planning. When I fly into Phoenix, I prefer to stay in the old town Scottsdale area. There is a nice Marriott in old town called the Scottsdale Marriott Suites Old Town if you look on the Marriott website. The Camelback Marriott is nice but almost double the cost plus there are shops and galleries you can walk to from the hotel in old town. I would probably plan to stay there the day you arrive in Phoenix (Thursday) then I would spend any time you want there on Friday and then drive up to Sedona when you are ready on Friday afternoon. You can spend the rest of that day wandering around Sedona and then I would drive up to the Grand Canyon from Sedona on Saturday. However if the weather is not good for Saturday, hang out in Sedona on Saturday and drive up to the GC on Sunday. Either way, I would do a day trip from Sedona to GC due to the limited amount of time, the possibility of extreme weather and the fact you need to get back to Phoenix to fly out on Monday. Sedona is about a halfway point between Phoenix and GC and I think if you used it as a base for getting the the GC you wouldn't have a long drive on one day. One day is a very short time to spend at the Grand Canyon but at least this way you will be able to spend some time there and also in the other areas you're interested in.

My suggestion for going to the Grand Canyon on the first full day after you arrive in Sedona is so that if they weather turns you can wait a day to drive up. My first trip to the Grand Canyon was in October that year and it snowed at the canyon for 2 days straight which caused such poor visibility it prevented us from being able to actually see the canyon. Weather can turn nasty quick but it can also change back to nice weather quickly too. Just be prepared with layered clothing and a jacket just in case. You could leave Phoenix in 90 degree sunshine and get to the canyon where it is 30 and snowing.

My suggestion for doing the GC on a day trip from Sedona is to leave Sedona via Rt. 89A going north toward Flagstaff through scenic Oak Creek Canyon. From Flagstaff go north on 180 to the west entrance of the Grand Canyon National Park. Spend the day driving along the rim, stopping for a short hike along the way, as you continue driving along the canyon going east on Rt. 64. Rt. 64 will dead end on rt. 89 in Cameron and then you can get on Rt. 89 going south toward Flagstaff. At this point it will probably be getting dark and you would might want to take I17 from Flagstaff back to Sedona. Doing this you will make a big circle and will be able to see different parts of the canyon all in one day.

By the way, there may be people on this site who advise you against making the trip to the canyon for such a short time but in my opinion, it is such an amazing place, I think it is worth getting to for any amount of time you can. Have fun.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

thank - you for so much good information, at least we have an idea of time constraints. thank-you so much!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM

It will take approx 2 hours to Sedona from Phoenix and about another 2 or so from Sedona to the GC.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:18 AM

CJ
Count me in as one of those people who think it's too much for 3 days.
You could easily fit in 3 days at either one of these three places, and by trying to get to all 3, you're going to spend a nice chunk of your 3 days on the road, packing and unpacking and checking in and out of hotels.
I would say if you feel you must get to either Sedona or the GC, to choose one to get the most out of your visit. Preferably, I would say skip the GC this time out and split the time between Phoenix and Sedona. Sedona has a lot more to see than the spa and galleries--the scenery is absolutely breathtaking from every angle in the town and there are many places to partake in it that are worth a visit while there.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:05 PM

I posted a trip report last October, take a look. Sendona was a great place.. Stay there and then just do a day trip to the Grand Canyon to hike. The drive isn't so bad and at this late date it will be hard to get a hotel in the Canyon.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

thank-you everyone! great info, & I have noticed a lot of hotels have no vacancies, thanks again everyone