Reload this Page >

Phoenix/Tucson Resorts

Search

Phoenix/Tucson Resorts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 06:48 PM
steve

Phoenix/Tucson Resorts

I am planning a trip to Arizona and the Grand Canyon. This is basically a sightseeing vacation, so I'm not sure that I want to put out a lot of money on some of the resorts that the travel package that I am booking through offers. But I would like to stay someplace nice with a fairly convenient location. In Scottsdale. I am looking at the Summerfield Suites and the Sunburst Resort, which even though a resort sounds more like a motel. In Tucson, I'm looking at the Smuggler's Inn and The Westward Look Resort, which sounds like the Sunburst. Does anybody know about any of these places? Would any of these be a good place to stay? Or would it be better to put out the extra money for one of the more upscale resorts like the Biltmore or the Weston La Paloma? Or would the fact that I'm only planning to spend a couple of days at each place make it a waste or an inconvenience?

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Chris

Reading between the lines here, I think you're probably looking for Sunburst, Westward Look types of places. They're older, not upscale resorts, but they're fine as a 'base of operations'.
If you're not into hanging around the resort to use the pools or enjoy the grounds and amenities, probably no reason to shell out the $$ for the Phoenician, etc.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:35 AM
Cheryl

Steve:

I had your same dilema ... Only in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for a few days with my husband (and our time is pretty full visiting with family and going to the Nascar race), and although we like staying at more upscale resorts, we decided to go with the Sunburst Resort. I got a AAA rate of $125/night through their internet site. The best rate I was getting at Sunburst through travel agents for the same type of room was $175 ... We decided since we weren't going to be spending much time at all at the resort that it was not worth the much, much higher cost places like the Phoenician, Hyatt Gainey Ranch, etc., would be. The reviews that I read about Sunburst in "Travel Talk" and "Rants/Raves" were positive.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Emily

Marriott Mountain Shadows in Scottsdale has a special until Sept 8, 2001. A guest room is $69 (code LOCD) and a "free play package" is $97.00 (code GGOD. The latter package includes the room, bkfst for 2, unlimited golf and tennis and health club access.

I have stayed at this hotel many times for business and its very nice!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:34 AM
Karen

I think you will be in great shape with the ones you have chosen.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Mary

I stayed at the Sunburst in Scottsdale last month, and have stayed at a handful of the resorts there over the past year. The Sunburst would make an excellent "base of operations," it is a good location and the rooms are decorated in a Western theme. And while I didn't have the opportunity to use it, their pool area was amazing! Take your cup of coffee in the morning and have it there.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Toni

I live in Tucson and the Westward Look is much, much better than the Smuggler's Inn. No comparison.
Other good places in Tucson are Lodge on the Desert (midtown), Arizona Inn (by the university but very old and expensive).

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 03:14 PM
patg

Also look at La Tierra Linda in Tucson - it's small, well located, reasonably priced and charming. They have a website.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Peter Kosednar

The choices you have made in Scottsdale look good. There are close to all the action in the downtown area. The summer time though the consumer has the advantage here and if you do a little shopping on the phone you can get some good room rates - I personally would look for rates starting at $50 this time of year in Scottsdale.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:44 PM
fran l

The Smugglers Inn in Tucson is a dump. But I like the Westward Look. I stayed there last year. The grounds are beautiful, and they have a wonderful wellness center for great massages and body treatments.