Search

Philadelphia - Safe?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philadelphia - Safe?

Hi there,
Wondering if any Philly lovers could help me. I'm coming in to a conference and the hotels are largely booked. How safe is it to walk from the Monaco Kimpton hotel to the convention center? I see it's about 8 blocks, but is it a safe 8 blocks for a single female to walk? My return walk will be in the evening and I'm traveling alone.

My other option is the Doubletree.

Thank you!
Amy
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 08:54 PM

Yes. Monaco is near Independence Hall (if it's the one I'm thinking of) and Convention Center is over by Reading Terminal Market (surrounded by tourist restaurants and expensive hotels). I walked all over both areas and spent a lot of time in both areas. I generally felt really safe in Philadelphia- people are around because it's a compact, walking town.

I suppose it does depend on your comfort level and how late you'd be out and about. If we're talking about really late- like after 11- I'd probably get a cab but I tend to be overly cautious.
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 05:00 AM

I've walked that area after midnight and never felt unsafe.

The Market-Frankfort Subway (aka "Blue Line") goes along Market Street, and has stops at 5th Street (near Independence Hall and the Monaco) and at 13th Street. The latter allows you to walk right from the Convention Center to the subway entrance without going into the street. Market Street there has a Hard Rock Cafe, and is thus busy with people at almost all hours.

I'll say it again -- if you're visiting Philadelphia, your biggest danger is our drivers, not our criminals.
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 07:22 AM

I was in Philadelphia last fall about this time with a friend. We walked everywhere not returning to our hotel until about 10pm. I never felt unsafe. In fact I am returning this fall by myself.

I am staying at the Alexander Inn at 12th and Spruce. Nice boutique hotel.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 11:57 AM
Amy

I've been wandering the streets of Philadelphia for more than fifty years now with no problem.

The Monaco Kimpton is right in the historic area, and there is a lot of activity (restaurants, etc) in the general neighborhood. I've never felt uncomfortable in that area as a single female, and that includes some 2AM strolls.

Of course, usual big-city awareness applies, but that would be anywhere.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 12:04 PM

Agree with everyone here. Definitely use Big City awareness. And if you decide to, the bus system is easy to use or it would be a cheap cab / Uber ride.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 12:48 PM

Walking along Market Street (or Chestnut Street) from Fifth Street to 11th in the morning will be fine. As Amy says, it's a busy area. There will be plenty of folks on the way to work and to the Reading Terminal Market as well as tourists in the Independence Park area.

After dark, as a woman alone, I would rather use a taxi or a bus along Market Street (if I did not have to wait by myself at the bus stop).