Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia Restaurant List - I must decide!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending a few days in Philadelphia this summer (our first trip to Phil). I have a list of restaurants to try while we are there but need help deciding where we should reserve.

We are Foodies from a small midwest town and enjoy variety in taste as well as cost.

Here is my list:
Vetri
Matyson
Buddakan
Amada
Pasion
Osteria
Susanna Foo

Any thoughts or suggestions? Lunch or dinner?

Also, what you suggest for a casual Philly Steak type sandwich place?

We will be staying near Rittenhouse Square and will have a car - we also often take a cab to dinner.

Thank you for your help.
loveyblue
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:39 AM
stevefrat

I hear nothing but good things about Vetri and Buddakan. I'd try to make reservations now if you're interested as they can be difficult to reserve at the last minute.

As for cheesesteaks, I'd recommend either Campo's at 2nd and Market or Jim's at 4th and South.

Old May 9th, 2007, 08:05 AM

We had a wonderful dinner at Matyson's a few weeks ago. My husband's lamb, which was encased in lamb sausage, and my pork chop were absolutely delicious. I would have loved to try Vetri, but they were booked by the time I thought of them. (We were in town for a couple of nights).
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:08 AM

I had a wonderful meal at Buddakan this summer. I also found that opentable.com was able to secure us reservations in some situations in which the restaurant itself claimed to have none. Enjoy your trip. BTW, Lacroix, the restaurant in the Rittenhouse Hotel, was also wonderful.
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:11 AM

The "angry lobster" entree at Buddakan is one of the best dishes I've had anywhere, anytime. I'm not sure if it's a special or always on the menu -- but if you see it and like lobster, order it.

Old May 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM

You can't go wrong with anything on your list. Vetri is very expensive, especially the wine list. I would also add Le Bec Fin to the list. Go for lunch, it's an incredible value. As far as cheesesteaks, do not, I repeat do not let anyone tell you to go to Pat's or Geno's. They're tourist raps and just not that good. For a cheesesteak try one of the following:

Tony Luke's
John's Roast Pork
Steve's Prince of Steaks

If you want to get a real treat, go to Tony Luke's or John's Roast Pork and get the hot roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM
syd

loveyblue,

I had a wonderful dinner at Vetri earlier this year. We did the 6 course tasting menu. It was one of the most expensive dinners I've ever had, but an unforgettable experience. It's small, so you really do need to reserve far ahead of time.

You'll love Philadelphia.
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:50 PM
yk

your list is great. I think it's very difficult to get into Vetri, so reservation is a must.

Had great meals at Matyson and Amada in recent years (both were kind of crowded), and also great meals at Pasion, Buddakan and Susanna Foo back in the late 1990s when I was living in Philly.
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Omr

When I lived in Philly my favorite place for a cheesesteak was Geno's at 9th and Passyunk in South Philadelphia. It's at the southern end of the Italian Market, which I also recommend visiitng.

I have not been to any of the restaurants on your list however, I do like Spasso (Italian) on Front Street a couple of blocks south of Market St near the Delaware River. For American cuisine Fork around 3rd and Market I remember being very good.