Philadelphia July 4th weekend help

Old Jun 16th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philadelphia July 4th weekend help

We will be going to Philly for the July 4th weekend to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. We'll be arriving on the 2nd and actually leaving on the 4th. There will be 7 of us, all family, ranging in ages from 21 to 60.

My husband and I have been to Philly a few times before and those trips tend to center around food. We both love interesting foods and don't mind spending money to get a great meal. We've eaten at Amada, Tinto, Parc, Rouge, Monks, Le Bec Fin, to name a few.

We are staying at The Doubletree on S. Broad St.

This trip will be differant as the rest of the family doesn't really care much about food and don't have tons of money to spend.

We will start on Saturday at Reading Market for lunch as I feel there is something every everyone there. From there maybe wander around, hit some bars and fun places. I'm thinking of Monks, Good Dog, McGillians, etc.

I know that on Sunday there is an ice cream festival on Penn's Landing. That might be fun to hit, then wander around the old city area. Not sure what else Philly has going on that weekend. When I googled it my computer got hit by a virus so I'm leery of doing a search again.

We've never been to the South St. area either.

We are a fun group, like to go out and have a good time. Whereas my husband and I like museums and doing the history thing, don't think this is the weekend for that.

Looking for any an all suggestions. Also for a place to have dinner that could fit a crowd like ours and won't break the bank. My sister's are extremely fussy so rule out many ethnic type of restaurants.

Thanks in advance for your help.
KathyH
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:29 AM

Concerts, festivities, fireworks--the celebration runs from June 24 through July 5. Have a great time in Philadelphia!

http://www.visitphilly.com/c/july-4th-in-philadelphia/
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Reading Terminal Market is a great choice for food in Philadelphia. DiNic's does a wonderful roast pork sandwich with provolone and broccoli rabe, Termini Bros. sells excellent Italian subs, and Bassett's does decent ice cream.

If you're on South Street, consider getting cheesesteaks at Jim's, which to my taste does the best such sandwich locally.

You could also hit the Italian Market area for Italian eats, though I would avoid Geno's and Pat's which for me do the worst cheesesteaks locally.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Also check

http://www.welcomeamerica.com/category/events/
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

I have had the roast pork sandwich from DiNics and you are right, it is wonderful. I have to try Bassetts though I will say Capogiro is one of my must stops when in Philly. Usually more than once.

I assume it will be super crowded in Philly that weekend. I wouldn't have picked a holiday weekend except this way we get two nights with no one taking off from work.

Looks like most of the events are on the 4th itself, which makes sense. I'm not sure how long we'll hang around on the 4th, will depend on how everyone feels.

Has anyone been to the ice cream festival at Penn's Landing in the past? Is it worth wandering over to or not really? Meaning I guess is there decent food stands or your standard street fair stuff. Also what else is going on there, can't really find that much info about it.

Thanks again.
KathyH
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 09:07 AM

If you're a big ice cream aficionado, also consider going to Franklin Fountain. It's right on Market Street near 2nd Street. I actually liked their ice cream better than Bassett's or Capogiro, and in any event, I think they're worth a try.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Reading Market is a great choice and there really is something for everyone.
I tried Monks twice and it was very crowded both times and I did not stay long. I felt most at home at McGillin',it fit my demographic better (late fifties).
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Logandog, most of the group are in the same demographic as you, we are all in our 50's except for my stepkids, they are the youngsters of the group. But they are stuck with us.

Definitely will hit up McGillins, it is a Philly institution isn't it? My husband and I have been to Monks but was early in the day and not crowded at all.

And Franklin Fountain sounds like a plan too.

Doesn't sound like anyone has been to the ice cream festival thing. We may go, or not.

Heard the Philly Duck tours are up and running again. Took them in Seattle with my brother and wife. It was a hoot, or I should say, a quack. Anyone take the Philly one? Wonder if it is worth it. My sister is leery after the one boat went down. I figure they wouldn't be operational again if they weren't safe.

KathyH
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 12:06 PM

We brought a crowd to Spasso Grill on Front St. and had a very good meal.

http://www.spassoitaliangrill.com/

We walked around Head House Square and South St. after dinner. Parking is plentiful but make sure the meters don't run out.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:48 PM

I definitely like your choice of RTM to start, you can't go wrong there. If you go to South St. check out the Magic Garden mosaic place around 10th St.

Sorry can't help you on the ice cream fest, tho' I find many of those kinds of things on Penn's Landing not worth it.
Personally I'm not a big Franklin Fountain fan, tho' I know many are. However, I am a huge fan of the coconut ice cream at More Than Just Ice Cream on Locust St., and it will be lots less crowded too.

I too ate with a group once at Spasso Grill and it was reasonable and good. If people are open to or like Afghan food there are two places at 2nd and Chestnut that are good and affordable fare: Ariana and Kabul, on the same block.