Philadelphia July 4th

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Daniel Williams

Philadelphia July 4th

Hi Philly lovers--

Since July 4th is on a Wednesday this year, unfortunately I can't make a long weekend out of it. Living in Baltimore, I thought I might go up to phabulous Philadelphia for the 4th. I've already experienced DC's July 4th (fireworks celebrations, etc...) and thought it might be interesting to see what goes on in another American city, one of the birthplaces of the USA.

I went to www.gophila.com and there seems to be a lot going on...hard to pick out what are the real highlights. Are there fireworks and if so, where's a good place to watch them from? Any special events you particularly enjoy in the city that day? Do you find there are parts of the city that become mob scenes on the 4th and should therefore be avoided?

Curious to hear your thoughts.

DAN

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 12:47 PM
kim

yes, there are fireworks on the 4th...they are above the art museum...there is a large area where you can sit along the ben franklin parkway..a concert starts around 8:30 and is then followed by the fireworks...pretty much the entire city will be crowded, and remember to get there early so you can get a good spot (facing the front of the museum)...you can also check out this website for more info...
http://www.americasbirthday.com/...also, remember that not many stores/museums will be open since it is a holiday...email me if you want more info!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 02:09 PM
xxx

I seem to remember that this year there is something going on at the Art Museum as part of the celebration with a number of well know actors reading from the Declaration of Independence in honor of its 225th Anniversary. I'll post if I find out more.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Amy

Philadelphia is the place to be for the fourth--OK, so I'll be in Portugal, but anyhow:
Most of the action is on the Parkway this year; it really stretches out the whole week. One of my most treasured Philly 4th moments was Jimmy Carter getting the Liberty Medal--it's always an interesting ceremony. There are huge crowds, but if you come by train or bus you'll do a lot better than those who drive. Enjoy your Fourth!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Daniel Williams

Well, it does sound tempting. I'm debating between staying in Baltimore and seeing the festivities here or going to Philly to see everything there.

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts.

DAN