Search

Philadelphia in 2 1/2 days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philadelphia in 2 1/2 days

Hello!

I'll be in Philly from Sun. night (12/19) through part of Wednesday (12/22), and I hope you can help me. I'm actually coming down specifically from NYC to see the Titanic exhibit, but I was in Philly a few years ago, and I adore it. Luckily, it's only an hours train ride away, so I don't have to try and squeeze everything in.

Planning this trip was easy for me because I know exactly what I want to do:

Franklin Museum/Titanic Exhibit
Constitutional Center/Independence Hall
Italian Market
Reading Terminal Market

I did Independence Hall a few years ago, and if I miss it this time, I will do it again.....and I won't let a year pass before doing so.

I figure I would do the museums early in the morning (Titanic exhibit on Monday, Constitution Center on Tuesday), leaving me the afternoons to wander around and enjoy the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of Philly. I was amazed by the Reading Terminal Market when I last visited, and can't wait to go again. I know that will be fun no matter when I go. Is the Italian Market the same way? I'm sure it's better on the weekends, but if I go mid-day (post-museum), will it still be worthwhile? It must be hectic, and beautiful, at this time of year.

Also, I'm a cheesesteak fanatic. Surprisingly, I'm finding that most locals apparently don't care for Pat's or Geno's; they recommend Tony Luke's, Jim's or John's Roast Pork. Do I need to take taxis to these joints (say, coming from the Franklin Museum or Constitutional Center.....or even where I'm staying, Rittenhouse Square)? I'd love to hear your opinions on the best places to get a cheesesteak.

I can not wait to get back to Philly - thanks for any help you can give me!

Betsy
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Oops, I forgot to mention - I have dinner reservations at LaCroix, Pasion! and Django.....I guess I was lucky to get Django at all, though 9:30 pm is kind of late. I hope it's as good as it's cracked up to be!
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:45 PM

Don't forget to stop by the Rodin Museum.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:07 PM

You might want to stop by Franklin Mills. We were there last weekend and the shopping (and sales) were EXCELLENT.

Have a fun time.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a walk to Lord and Taylor on Market street and see the fountain and lights display. They run it about every half hour or so in the main concourse of the store.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 01:17 PM
yk

Hi Betsy-

If you don't care for Pat's or Geno's, then definitely go to Jim's steaks. It is on South Street, which is walkable distance from Independence Hall area.

I don't think the Italian market would be worth going on a weekday.

I'm glad you got Django! Make sure you save room for their frommage plate at the end!

Pasion is also excellent. You'll have a great time in Philly just by eating!
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Hey, thanks for all of the great tips!

Enjoylife, I love Rodin - went to the other museum in Paris. I'm not sure that I'll want to do 3 museums in such a short amt of time, but if I don't, I will absolutely come back another time. Last trip, I went to the Art museum - it compares favorably to the Met in NYC, and that's saying something. What a fabulous museum.

Wantsomesun, I don't have a car and truthfully, I'm not a big shopper, but I'm glad you had a great time and found some good bargains!

Schmerl, I will definitely make a point to see the Lord and Taylor exhibit. This is such a fun time of year.....!

YK, I'm already dreaming of the cheesesteaks I will be greedily chowing down on. I suspect it won't be as many as I think, since my eyes are always bigger than my stomach. Thanks for the tip on the Italian Market, and I'm glad to hear Django and Pasion! are as good as reported.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:26 AM

I'm not a big fan of Jim's mostly because you smell the meat from down the street, then you get in and wind your way through the line the whole time being inundated with overpowing meat smells. By the time I order I almost feel like becoming a vegetarian. But South Street is fun, so the convenience is a factor.

Since you'll be around on a weekday, there will also be tons of street vendors around - they are usually good options for cheesesteaks, as is the place in Reading Terminal.

There's a Tony Luke Jr's near Rittenhouse Square also.

Pat's and Genos are great - if it's 2am and you just stumbled out of a bar.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:52 AM

You have made some fine selections for dinners in Philadelphia!

If you enjoy wine with your meal, remember theat Django is BYO. And I second yk's advice on the cheese course!

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:59 AM

We actually liked Rick's in Reading Terminal -- thought the cheesesteaks were good. I'm not a big fan generally, but my fiance is.