Search

Philadelphia in 1 day...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philadelphia in 1 day...

Hello,

We will be passing through Philadelphia in mid August (arriving Friday night and leaving Sunday morning). We will be staying at the Park Hyatt.

This will be a family trip with 2 boys 11 & 9. I've all ready got tickets for Independence Hall but I was wondering what might be some other "must see" sites. Eastern State Pen. sounded interesting.....anything else that would be good for both adults and kids?

Also, is Philadelphia relatively safe to walk around? Would you compare it to Boston?

Thanks!

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM

What is Eastern State Pen? A penitentiary?

There is a lot of historical stuff that would be fund for kids and adults. Yes, it is safe to walk around the parts you would be walking around.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM
yk

I've been to Eastern State penitentiary and thought it was boring (this was during Halloween). But of course your 2 boys may think differently. Is there even A/C in Eastern State penitentiary? If not, don't even think of going as Philadelphia is VERY hot (with 90% humidity) in the summer.

Park Hyatt is a great location, and it's safe to walk around the neighborhood.

Will your boys be interested in seeing (and running up) the Rocky stairs?

Apart from Independence Hall, make sure you see Liberty Bell as well. Also, Reading Terminal Market is a good place to stop by for lunch.
http://readingterminalmarket.org/

Another thought would be Battleship New Jersey over in Camden, NJ. You can get there by ferry from Penn's Landing.
http://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Try The Franklin Institute. http://www2.fi.edu/ Lots of hands-on stuff boys will enjoy.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 05:04 PM

The boys would love the Franklin Institute. Also, a stop at th Reading Termincal MArket is a great idea!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:50 AM

If, like all boys aged nine and eleven, your boys like looking at gross and disgusting things, the Mutter Museum is a collection of gross and disgusting things.

www.collphyphil.org

The areas of Philly where tourists travel are quite safe for walking at all hours -- and I say that as someone who doesn't like to drive in certain parts of Philly during the day. If you, as a tourist, have no reason to go somewhere, then don't.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:56 AM

I assume you're going to do the whole Independence Hall area, like Liberty Bell etc.

I suggest taking a horse & carriage tour - they'll take you around the area and it lasts about 1/2 an hour and very informative.

Don't forget the Philladelphia Museum where Rocky ran up the steps (I'm not sure where the Rocky statue from Rocky III is) - that's a "must" in my book.

Of course you must have a Philadelphia cheese steak at either Pat's or Geno's.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM

I second the suggestions of the Franklin Institute, the Mutter Museum and a Philly cheesesteak!

Walking around the historic area is very safe. Some of the sites you might want to see are rather spread out, to try to walk to and take in all in one day. But there are tour trolleys that you can buy a day ticket for and then hop on and off as you go around the Center City area--they stop at or near all the major sites, including near the museums and down to the Italian Market, near Pat's and Geno's.

http://www.phillytour.com/

An alternative to a horse and carriage tour might be the Ducks tour--it takes you around the heart of the historic district and then goes out onto the Delaware River as well. Your boys would probably enjoy that.

http://www.phillyducks.com/

Have a great time!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.....

Two last questions:

Pat's or Geno's?

It looks like both are over a mile away from our hotel area....is driving our car in Philadelphia on a Saturday a wise move?

Thanks again...
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
yk

Don't bother with driving. Even if you drive to Pats/Genos, chances are you won't be able to find a parking spot.

If you're determined to eat at Pats or Genos, just take a taxi there and ask the taxi to wait for you (you can get take out).

Both are over-rated, IMO. I wouldn't go out of my way for Pats or Genos.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM

The Academy of Natural Sciences would be great for kids and adults. You could also take them to Dave & Busters for fun after the museums close.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Have heard plenty of comments to the effect that both Pat's and Geno's are not all they're cracked up to be. I've been to neither, but will say that the best Philly cheesesteak I've had (and I tried them at 5 places when I visited there) was at Jim's (at 400 South St.).

A very good idea foodwise is to head for the Reading Terminal Market. Rick's is a good alternative choice for cheesesteaks, plus there's the pork sandwich with sharp provolone and greens at DiNic's or the Italian hoagie at Salumeria (both excellent) for other options.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:57 PM

Since you just have one day, if you decide to do both the historical area AND either the Franklin Institute and/or running up the steps of the Art Museum, I highly suggest using the Philly Phlash bus to get around. For a family of 4 it is $10 (total, not each) for a pass to get on and off all day. It runs along Market Street and stops at all the major tourist sites. You can take it from the historical area to the Reading Terminal Market (a really fun place to take the kids for lunch - Pat' and Geno's too out of the way to bother with for one day imho)and then hop back on to continue up the parkway to the F.I. or Art Museum, and then hop on again to return to wherever you want to go next.

I'd also recommend the small Liberty Museum at about 4th and Chestnut, and the small building right next to it with all things Ben Franklin. And then, you'll be not far from Franklin Fountain at 2nd and Market for an ice cream cone! (though Capogiro's gelato is better for the adults, it's on Sansom, someone help me, 12th or 13th ST.?)

These areas of Philly are filled with both locals and tourists walking around, very safe. Unfortunately Market Street itself is a bit of a dump between about 6th St. when the historical area ends, and 12th, but still safe.

I've lived in both Philly and Boston and yes, would compare the two in some ways.

But it is very hot and humid here in August. If you don't get the ice cream and/or gelato mentioned earlier, definitely treat yourself to a Philly water ice!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:16 AM

If you do choose to go to the art museum for the Rocky steps, it would be worth your while to actually go inside the museum. It has excellent artwork, and is a nice size for kids (not too overwhelming) including a good smattering of famous works by artists they'll recognize. There is also a great arms and armor collection that I think is especially interesting to young boys.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM

Capogiro has two locations, one at 13th & Sansom and the other around Rittenhouse Square at 21st and Walnut (?) not quite sure.

It is great ice cream, highly recommend a stop. Way better than Philly cheesesteaks
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Constitution Center offers many interactive displays, but if you only have one day, you might not have enough time.
Go to www.gophila.com for loads of info on what to do in Phila.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM

Here's another vote for lunch at Reading Terminal Market, including Rick's Steaks.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 01:54 PM

the "lights of liberty" is a very cool walking tour experience. We've done it twice and will probably do it again. the kids will really like it. audio/visual at dark.

http://www.lightsofliberty.org/main.htm

have a great weekend!
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 04:56 AM

<<Two last questions:

Pat's or Geno's?

Neither: Jim's, 4th and South Sts.