Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia hotel near Hospital of the Univ. of Pa.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling to Philadelphia Pa. this coming weekend to visit someone who is recovering at the Hospital of the University of PA. (Spruce St.) and would like a recommendation of a hearby hotel that would also be close to any tourist attractions in the area. We are going to combine visiting the Hospital with a little sight seeing. Since there will be 2 adults and 2 young adult children a suite style hotel is preferrable. I checked Embassy Suites and was told that it is a 12 minute ride to the Hospital and we would prefer to walk. Any tips on using Priceline or another site to get a better rate? I haven't booked many hotels in recent years (we usually stay in condos or rental homes) and I'm not too familiar with how to do it.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM
yk

The UPenn Hospital (HUP) is in West Philadelphia; not convenient to the historic sites.

I think you'd be better off with a hotel in Center City (either near Rittenhouse Sq or in Old City), which will be very convenient for sightseeing. And you can then take a cab to HUP for your visit.

If you insist on staying in West Philly, there are a couple of hotels there - I believe there's still a hotel attached to HUP, and there's the Sheraton West Philly, and the Inn @ Penn. But I really would NOT recommend staying there, unless you're spending hours every day at the hospital.

Also, it's not the safest thing to walk from the hospital in West Philly back to Center City AT NIGHT.

If you use Priceline, just choose Center City and stick with 4*. You may end up with the Hyatt Penns Landing, which is on the far East side of Philadelphia. You have to get 2 rooms if you go with PL.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Pennsylvania Hospital is located at 800 Spruce Street.

There is a Residence Inn in Center City which seems somewhat closer to the hospital and Independence Park while the Embassy Suites is closer to the Franklin Institute and the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

I generally try quikbook.com and travelzoo.com to look for discounted rates. When comparing rates, remember to take into account the charges for overnight parking (if you are driving to Philadelphia).
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM
yk

My impression is the OP is talking about the Hospital of Univ of Penn at 3400 Spruce Street in West Philly.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is at 3400 Spruce Street.

yk has given you good advice.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM

i think the OP said hosp of U Penn (HUP), (not pennsylvania hosp) so i would agree with staying in center city and taking a cab to visit your friend.
Independence Hall/liberty bell/constitution Center is at 5th street, HUP is 34th; it's a 10 min (no traffic, 20 with traffic) cab ride.
there are more/ better hotels in center city than in West Philadelphia, where the hospital is
(but it's all much easier than this is making it sound) Phila is a small, walkable city.
any ride is close
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Penn Tower is right across the street from HUP and CHOP (Children's Hospital). Penn Tower is where patients' families stay, I believe. It's a building with medical practices, surgical suites, etc. It might not even be a hotel any more. Better look into that. . . There's also a Sheraton and a Hilton (the Inn at Penn), which are walkable to HUP. Both are on Penn's campus, so there is the Archeology museum and the Inst. of Contemporary Art, some v. good restaurants, and some shopping. Not really much else for sightseeing on that side of the river.

Staying in Center City (across the Schuylkill River from Penn's campus) is the Embassy Suites and many other options (I'm just not sure about suites options). Yes, it's a 10 minute cab ride (or subway + walk) to HUP, but for walking and sightseeing and experiencing Philadelphia, this is a much better option, prettier, friendlier, etc. Stay around Rittenhouse or along the Parkway for best proximity.

Historic attractions are mainly in the eastern half of Center City, walkable from Rittenhouse Square, much less so from Penn. Depends what tourist attractions you want to see. . .

Because of the request to be closer to the hospital, avoid any hotel described as Chinatown, Market East, Convention Center, Society Hill, Old City or Historic Area.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Several years ago my son was hospitalized at UPenn after an accident. I stayed in a hotel connected with the medical center via walkway. Can't remember many details. The point of my post is that I went downtown to do some shopping for him, went via bus and did not feel comfortable as a woman traveling alone during the day. So can't imagine what it would be like at night.

By the way, his care at Penn was outstanding, and I became a fan of the cheesesteak sandwiches in the cafeteria.
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

rncheryl, The parents of the young man that we are going to see have also found his care to be outstanding. He also was involved in an accident and will be hospitalized for quite sometime.

After reading the posts here I think that we'll be happier staying in Center City. How is the Embassy Suites located as far as sights and restaurants? I can get it for $164 a night through the hotel. Any moderately priced (not chains) restaurants in the area?
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
KathyK, it sounds like you've made your decision, however, I'd like to add that the University City area is a wonderful place to stay. I've stayed at the Inn at Penn (a Hilton property) several times and have enjoyed my stays there as much as my stays at the Four Seasons, Ritz, and Rittenhouse.

University City is a safe, vibrant area of the city with wonderful restauarants, shopping, and activities. I've walked into center city and the Rittenhouse Square area from the Inn a number of times. I think the young adults with you would love the University city neighborhood. It is a neighborhood that exists FOR that age group.

It really is going to depend on what you want to do in the city in addition to visiting your friend.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

I always hate it when people don't come back to a thread so I am coming back to say that unfortunately our main reason to visit Philadelphia was to see our nephew who was critically injured in a motor vehicle accident. It wasn't the right time to visit for him, so we didn't make the trip. Thank you all for you advice. We will use it if we visit Philadelphia in the future.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
yk

KathyK, I hope your nephew is recovering. Thanks for your post.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 04:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
KathyK, that's sad news. I hope he is ok and recovers.