Philadelphia downtown

Search

Philadelphia downtown

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philadelphia downtown

Just found out we'll be in Philadelphia M-F of this coming week, staying at Sheraton Society Hill on Dock Street. No car. There must be tons of good restaurants downtown--recommend any? Looking for reasonable seafood, then for anything worth visiting after that.
Is it safe to walk at night downtown?
I'm sorry I'm asking probably pretty dumb questions but my time is short for research.
Are we within walking distance of most historic sites?
Is there anything else I should know?
Thanks so much.
Mike
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 03:33 AM
mei

You are in a great spot for seeing the historic sites. Yes it is really safe to walk around at night. You should try to get tickets to the Lights of Liberty tour for one evening...weather's supposed to be great this week. You'll be only a few blocks from my favorite fish place....Philadelphia Fish located at 2nd and Chestnut. Some other great places is walking distance are Buddakhan, The Continental, Fork, Tangerine, Cuba Libre...lots more.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mei has given you some reat restaurant suggestions. Fork and Phila. Fish Co. ar also two of my favorites.
If you want to see Independence Hall, go to the Visitors Center early and get your times ticket. It's free, but you need to get a ticket. Pick up a map there too. The Liberty Bell is right across the street from the Visiots Center. The Constirution Center is also wonderful. There are some good walking tours offered in the historic area.
Go to www.gophila.com for some more suggestions.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please excuse all my typos in the above post.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Jed

Philadelphia Fish for regular seafood. Spasso for good, old fashioned Italian. Also liked Red Sky.

We've never been happy with our dinners at Fork. Looks better than it tastes. (Ate there 2 weeks ago.)

For an impressive dinner - Buddakan.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Jed

BTW - I'm sure we would all appreciate your "feed"back after your visit.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:10 AM
mei

I really like Spasso too....Yummy. And I don't love Fork either, but so many people I know love it so I thought I should suggest it. Tangerine has a beautiful bar and great desserts so you may want to stop there after dinner. For a quick bite and great coffee try Cosi...there are several located all around the city. Also great is Bonte for coffee and wonderful "true" belgian waffles.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:08 AM
TKT

Mamy of the restaurants in Old City, about 3 blocks from your Hotel, have outdoor seating. My favorite is Pizzacato on Third and Market. I always found the area your are in to be safe at night, I usually try to avoid some of the quieter parts of downtown late at night, such as the area between 8th and 11th street around Walnut Street. You are also close to many movie theatres, check out ritzfilmbill.com for listings.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM

I just stayed at this hotel on Sunday-Monday of this past week. It was very nice and the location was the best. Walk 2-3 blocks up the street to Old City. It was very safe and if you go to the west a few blocks it's a very historic area although my friend and I skipped it as we had limited time.

We ate at a restaurant called Amada. It's really a Spanish tapas place but, seriously, as the best meal I've had in months if not years. It's on Chestnut Street-walk up the road from the hotel and go a block left. FABULOUS. We started with sangra (delish) and ate a ton and enjoyed every single dish. I would definitely reserve beforehand as we didn't and sat at the bar. Since it was just myself and a friend we didn't care but it is a very popular option so better to plan ahead.

Great choice of hotel, and lots of other great looking restaurants around. If you want something totally fantastic try Buddakan-never been, but just opened in NYC where I live and supposed to be outstanding but $$$$. Have fun-love Philly!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM

I just reread your post and thought to also recommend the Continental restaurant. There is one in Old City and also more in the middle of the city. When I was in Philly in November I ate there and it was very good. I also enjoyed the Rittenhouse Square area and the shops in the area. Center City is pretty small and easily navigated. Have fun!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Jed

Copntinental is very good but doesn't take reservations.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 10:02 AM

just wanted to chime in and say i LOVED philadelphia's downtown. tons of great things to do/ see/ eat downtown within walking distance.

YAY! have fun in philly.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Spent a long weekend in Philly about 7 years ago and loved it! We didn't use a car the whole time we were there...walked EVERYWHERE...even South Philly for Cheesesteaks at Pats and great Italian food for dinner.

Reading Market was great for Saturday morning, not sure if it is open and/or as bustling during the week.

If you like Jazz, Warm Daddy's was terrific, with excellent soul food to match. They were at Front at Market, but I read that they are moving. Maybe someone on here knows where and when.

Hope this helps..
Debi
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:17 AM
TKT

Warmdaddys is a great place. They are moving South of Old City, I haven't seen the exact address yet.

Most nights they have R&B, some blues and occasinal jazz. The food is southern influenced and is reasonably priced.

Ortliebs, about 10 blocks North of Old City is great for Jazz. Zanzibar Blue on Broad Street offers Jazz and R&B, it is night for a pricey dressed up night out.