Cutest areas of portland & Eugene

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to visit Eugene and Portland and am wondering, what are the cutest areas? Any must see streets or must eat at restaurants?

Thanks

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:39 PM

Portland:

International Rose Garden during the summer.

Powell's Bookstore
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:44 PM

Do a search on "Portland" at the top of this page - tons and tons of posts about Portland, more information than you would want.

Eugene: don't know it that well. It's a small college town, really. The University of Oregon campus is nice.

Andrew
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM

Cutest ares? hmmmm...I have not lived here long enough to know those areas yet, lol, but there are many beautiful and interesting areas.
The Portland Japanese Gardens
The Portland Classical Chinese Gardens
The Saturday Market ( entertaining)
The Pittock Mansion
areas:
The Pearl District
NW 23rd Street
The Waterfront Park, especially this week-it is the Portland Rose Festival..fireworks tonight, music every day and night, dancing, food and festivites.
Fleet Week, Dragon Boat races and the Starlight Parade.
Too many restaurants here to name, a guidebook is helpful as is reading other Portland threads.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,

I just returned from a trip to Mendocino California with my husband and while we were there we visited the botanical gardens near Ft. Bragg. We were both blown away with how much we loved it so I think we would definitely visit all the gardens.

My husband and I currently live in San Jose, CA. We both relocated from the east (Chicago & NY). We love the west coast and especially the north west coast but the quality of life leaves something to be desired. There is no way we can buy a home here when the price of a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom shack is over $600,000. We have just about had it and want to re-locate. My first thought was the north coast of CA, maybe Eureka (Until I saw the crime rate YIKES!!!) Now we are considering Portland or Eugene. Both look really beautiful.

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Check out the Nob Hill area of Portland. Very cute, funky little neighborhood. Moonstruck Chocolates is very good, pizza at Escape from New York and for fine dining, Wildwood and Paley's can't be beat. One of my favorite neighborhoods in Portland. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM

travelbug, right now there is still that pesky bubble that is causing real estate prices to be too high..there are small signs that Portland real estate might start to adjust some.

Prices in town are the same as your town it seems, the NW section of town has small fixer uppers for over $600k, you will have to live out of the city limits to get good prices or look on the East side where areas are rejuvenating.
Our neighbor just bought a new home in Irvington (East side) for around $425k (2 bed 2 bath) ..

Best thing you can do is visit and see what appeals to you, spend a day with a realtor and get an idea of prices and neighborhoods.
Good luck...it is so beautiful here right now, warm sunny days, cool nights and everything is blooming, roses everywhere !
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:00 PM

We were very impressed with the Japanese Garden. Peaceful and tranquil.

The roses at the rose garden were also lovely.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Cute? I'm not sure what you mean, but I think parts of Sellwood might qualify. Hawthorne too. And maybe the high 20's blocks of NE Alberta St.

I've never thought of NW Portland - what tourists refer to as Nob Hill - as "cute" but I understand kimamom's point of view. That's the only area of town she's been to.

5th Street Public Market in Eugene is kinda cute, but like Andrew, I don't know the city well. Still, I do think that unless you have a specific reason to visit, pass on Eugene, and spend all your time in Portland. Or, plan a day or two at the coast.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:28 AM

I don't recommend living here, but we did go to Aurora Oregon the other day and it was definitely cute !
A town settled in the 1800's and named Aurora by the towns founder, it has become a town of antiques. All the buildings are original and chock full of Old Stuff
We especially enjoyed just walking around the area, each house has lovely gardens, in full bloom, full of birds and butterflies. Quiet and charming and yes, cute..and only about half an hour from downtown Portland .
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:32 AM

I wonder when or how the NW section of Portland got to be referred to by tourists as "NobHill". Do any of you residents of Portland or Oregon know?
My late husband's family history in Portland goes waaaay back. I have lots of family in Portland to this day. They are amused but confused about this "NobHill" description.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:35 AM

I dont know if there is anything in Eugene that is a "Must See" but there are lots of "cute" areas -
nice residential areas, beautiful parks,
not much in the way of shopping although
Oakway Mall is getting bigger and better all the time.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:28 AM

If you want a really "cute" area of Portland, visit Ladd's Addition for sure! It's right off Hawthorne Blvd in SE, between 12th and 20th Ave. It's a unique neighborhood with diagonal streets centered on four little rose gardens and a circle garden in the middle!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.054245&om=1

Or Laurelhurst Park and Mt. Tabor Park (extinct volcano) in SE Portland.

As for "Nob Hill" - it is a real name, not something imagined or created by tourists - just not a name used by the locals much (just like you don't hear anyone refer to NW as the "Alphabet District," it's official name). I think it refers to a specific area of NW including NW 23rd Ave and up the hill from there and close to NW Glisan, not all of NW Portland. There are several businesses named after Nob Hill, such as the Nob Hill Bar and Grill on NW 23rd. I even saw a pamphlet guide to "Nob Hill" at a local business near 23rd Ave recently.

Andrew
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Hi Andrew,
I saw that brochure, I believe it was made up by the business owners of that area for tourists~lol~
(They have a credit on there somewhere for the POVA)
When we first arrived in Portland, on a summer vacation trip ( also research to see if we wanted to live here) we were looking at a map and a lady asked if she could help. When my husband said we were looking for Nob Hill, she said there is no such place, unless we were thinking of San Francisco lol.
Since then we have learned that it is not really a "locals" name for the place. And if one were to recommend to a visitor (on a travel forum perhaps) go to Nob Hill, they might get the same reception we did...I would say to any visitors, ask about NorthWest..or just say NW 23rd..everyone knows that!
I read not long ago that NW21st was known as Little Italy or something like that..because there are 3 Italian restaurants in a row ? lol
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:46 AM

I remember when a certain poster who consistently refers to the aforementioned area as Nob Hill, once asked about the fictious hotel (not realizing it was fictious) at Nob Hill in SF! She actually thought there was a "Stafford Hotel", on a harbor, with palm trees and an outdoor pool at Nob Hill in San Francisco!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:51 AM

I've occasionally (or more accurately, infrequently) heard the Nob Hill reference ever since the late '60's. Then, it was usually by a resident of the area, and more often than not, an older person.

In the past few years, the ONLY person I've seen or heard use the Nob Hill reference has been kimamom, on this and other boards. So, Loveitaly, I can't answer your question. Maybe we should ask the tourist. kimamom?

If I were to use the Nob Hill reference in my SW Portland suburban neighborhood, I'd bet that less than half my neighbors would know where I was talking about.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:07 AM

A fun, quick read about Portland is Phil Stanford's "Portland Confidential," about the small-time organized crime in Portland in the 1940's and 50's. One thing I learned: the area north of W. Burnside (maybe just Old Town/Chinatown) was once referred to as the North End. It used to be a haven for open but discreet gambling and prositution. In fact, in the first part of the 20th century, Portland was an extremely corrupt city where this kind of crime was tolerated by a well-paid police force, if you know what I mean.

As I understand it, the area of Portland in what is now called Portland Center (big highrise apartments, south of market street, east of 5th) was once called South Portland and was originally a thriving Jewish and Italian neighborhood - in the 1960's it was condemned for urban renewal and bulldozed to create what is there today. So maybe there used to be a "Little Italy" there, Scarlett?

Portland also used to have a real thriving Chinatown too, compared to the shadow of a Chinatown we have today - apparently once the 2nd biggest Chinatown on the west coast besides San Francisco's.

Andrew
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Yes, you will not hear many, if any, locals refer to NW as Nob Hill. A coworker of my husbands has lived in the heart of that area for over 25 years. So I asked her about it, figuring she would be the person to ask. Her reply was a giggle, and that only tourists call it that, and not even many tourists. I also asked a girlfriend who lived there for several years, but left in the early 80's, her response was not quite as subdued as my husbands coworker, lol!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Thanks all, LOL. My family all lives in NE Portland..how I envy all of you that live in Portland or the surrounding areas. Along with SF and Rome, Portland is one of my favorite cities! And yes mms I will be getting up there..some of the family is going to be spending a good part of summer in Italy so will wait to they get back home and settled in. Best regards.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Stafford hotel is not a ficticious hotel!!!! It was filmed in the remake of "parent trap"!!!! And yes, it has a harbor, and an outdoor pool, and great service too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -