Philadelphia as a Day Trip from DC

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Susan

Philadelphia as a Day Trip from DC

My family (3 of us) are going to DC for the first time the last week in September. We want to make Philadelphia a day trip. Since we are not familiar with transportation to & from Philadelphia from DC nor how to get around once there, we need some input regarding the time it would take to see the Liberty Bell, Freedom Hall, Franklin Institute (if possible)and any other spots we would hit in a day. In other words, we need a plan!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Liz

Well, you could take the train to Philadelphia. I think it might be a 3 hour train ride one-way, though. Once there, there is a shuttle that connects the major tourist sites, called the Philly Phlash. http://www.phillyphlash.com/

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Chris

You'll waste a day traveling. Save Philly for a trip of its own...there's PLENTY to see in DC. You'll kick yourself for spending six valuable hour on a train

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Susan

Thanks for the input. My question now is for those promote this as a day trip throughout these travel site-- why if it is really not a viable option?

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:44 AM
elaine

Susan,

I live near Philadelphia and agree with Chris. Regardless if you drive or take the train, you'd spend a minimum of 6 hours traveling from DC. You could always spend one night (if this fits your budget and your travel plans).
As a resident of the Phila. area, I personally would never recommend DC/Phila. as a day trip....this is my subjective opinion.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Erin

I think Philly is a great day trip if you interested in history. It depends on how many days you've got on your vacation. If you've got only a few days, I would max out D.C.

You could easily drive or take the train to Philly in 3 hours, park your car for the day, get tickets for the Philly Plash, and ride that around for the day, get in a great dinner, and then drive back to D.C. at night. Philly Plash is a bus system just for tourists that want to stop at all the important sites (Liberty Bell, Art Museum, Penns Landing, etc). You can buy day tickets, and just hop on the bus when it comes by.

I'm sorry Elaine has such a negative view of her own city. There's tons to do here, and its a great town to visit with family.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Daniel Williams

HI

Actually it's only a 1 hour 50 minute train ride from Washington DC to Philadelphia on Amtrak. So basically that means you'd be travelling for 4 hours+ approximately of day trip. It would probably be about $100/pp round trip. For 3 people, as much as I love Philly, I tend to think it's not worth it, particularly since you'd be very rushed. Driving, it would take you 3 hours no traffic. That's 6 hours of travel time and again you'll be rushed.

I HAVE been to Philadelphia as a day trip from Baltimore on a few occasions...it's $78/pp round trip from there and an hour ten minutes travel time on Amtrak. I BARELY feel like I can justify that kind of expense for a day trip, but Philly has worked its magic on me and I find myself compelled to go back!

I think if you DO want to do a day trip to a historical city, I think that Baltimore would be a better choice. There's a commuter train (MARC) that runs from DC-Balto on weekdays that's $10.25 round trip. Fell's Point, Federal Hill and Mount Vernon are very lovely historical neighborhoods...and of course there's the Inner Harbor for shopping and National Aquarium. Baltimore is only one hour from DC , so much of your day trip, you'd actually get to spend at your destination.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

DAN

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Christina

I live in DC and have traveled to Philly for the day several times simply on business for the day, sometimes it is no longer than my driving commute within DC, as you can get from DC Union Station to Philadelphia 30th St in only 1:40 ONE Way (I sometimes take 8am-9:43am), I don't know why people make up such information to mislead people such as saying it takes 3 hrs one way by train. Just go to www.amtrak.com and check for yourself. It is about 3 hrs roundtrip which is very reasonable for a day trip for those staying in DC for a while and wanting to see something different, people have to decide for themselves if the fare is worth it. It is expensive for a day trip but not in comparison to the money you'd invest to go there separately for a hotel, etc.