Reload this Page >

Peter Luger - Still Great Steak?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:02 PM
sam

We're planning to be in NYC again soon, and want to have dinner at Peter Luger. It's been a few years. Have they still got the best steak, or are there better options?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Patrick

If you're going soon, you may be out of luck. We arrived last May 1 in New York for a full month. On the 2nd I called Peter Luger and asked for a dinner reservation and was unable to get one for any night that entire month. The only thing they could offer was 3:30 or 4:00 PM for a couple of "evenings.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Sam

No problem - we're going in June and I've got reservations - just want to know if I should change them.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Tom

Sam,

IMHO they are still, bar none, the best steaks around. Don't forget to order the smoked bacon appetizer!

Tom

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Howard

Fear not, it's still the best. And remember, it still doesn't take credit cards!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 05:44 PM
topper

To the Top.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 06:00 PM
me

Still great. Still cash only. You won't be disappointed.

Recently went to the Post House - a good runner-up.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:54 AM
tim

I am also going in June- first time _ taking future father-in-law, did not know it was cash only THANKS FOR THE WARNING! so what can I expect to pay - dinner for 2 pre dinner drink probably dessert -

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Howard

Tim, that's a great way to start off on the right foot with the in-laws (at with your father-in-law). The cost would be around $120-$140 for the two of you would be my estimate.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Ei

10 of us went to Lugers on April 6th and although the meal was good, our guys said it wasn't the best they've tasted. In NY, they said Gallaghers was better. I have a list of other places in Westchester that are also better. JMO.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Beefeater

I say Sparks is the BEST steakhouse in the city. Conveniently located in midtown, takes credit cards, has lots of "history", and has a wine cellar that can't be beat.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:35 PM
sam

Tim-if you haven't made your reservations yet - do it now. While it's no big deal if you do, apparently only the "tourists" ask for a menu. So, here's a suggestion as to what order: I'd skip the onion/tomato slices. If you like shrimp - a great shrimp cocktail. Then "steak for two" medium rare, german potatoes, creamed spinach. Apple strudel for dessert. That's our favourite order. Howard's right on the price range.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Howard

Sam, you didn't mention the kind of steak......porterhouse!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:46 AM
sam`

Howard - it is my understanding that by ordering the "steak for two" it is always a porterhouse. Otherwise steak for one is a shell or new york strip, steak for 3 is pieces of either of the above, (so you need to ask for "steak for two and a steak for one"), and if you're ordering for 4 you need to ask for 2 orders of steak for 2 in order to get the two porterhouses. Is your experience differnt?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Howard

Sam, I've only had the porterhouse there, so that's all I can recall. And, you're right about that.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:08 PM
David

Sam,

You're making my mouth water!

Tim,

I agree w/ Sam--skip the tomatoes and onions (they always suggest them but there are better things to order). I must say, as strange as it sounds, I also firmly agree w/ Tom: Try the smoked bacon appetizer...amazing.

Davidcs