Perfect October weather... where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw on another post folks are already planning future trips for next year.
I will be taking some time off ...a week to 10 days during the last 2 weeks of October. Where are some ideal places to go for good weather in October in USA or Canada?
I like the scenery, cities, sea, mountains..... and an willing to go just about anywhere, proving the waether would we decent. Any ideas?
I'd appreticate any help.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:59 PM

Isn't October one of the best months for weather anywhere in the US and Canada? It's in the middle of hurricane season, but other than that I can't off the top of my head think of anyplace that I wouldn't go in October for weather reasons.

What do you consider perfect weather? That may narrow it down some.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I suppose you are right. I could go anywhere and it would most likely be fine. Perhaps in my head I was thinking warmer, like perhaps San Diego or Santa Fe or something... not really sure what I've got rolling around up there, but probably warmer is better. ...but not necessarily beach.

The edn of Oct can be gettin ga bit cool and windy in Ontario
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:09 PM

Sonoma County, CA is typically heaven right up until Halloween, yet I think
the 1st-21st would be safest. I got married outside on 10/12 here and it was perfect !

R5
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you razzle dazzle. Thats the type of place and climate I'm looking for. That will start my list! I'll start to read about it on Fodor's .
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:23 PM

Well kodi, I was going to give you my suggestion but Razzle beat me to it!!
Sonoma County is so beautiful and the weather should be quite lovely in October. Let us know what you decide.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:54 PM

Western North Carolina (Asheville). Best time of year there.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thaks guys, so many good options in USA and Europe. Now the fun of doing the research. I have not been anywhere in California, so that sounds like a good plan.

I've been through Asheville on different trips through the Smokey's and loved it too.

Any more ideas?
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 06:45 AM

For anyone looking for a fun weekend trip on October, go to the Fall Festival in Evansville, Indiana. The best food booths anywhere, at extremely reasonable prices. You can also zip over to New Harmony, which is close by.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:12 AM

I would start in Santa Barbara and drive up to San Francisco- so much to see and do and it is a beautiful time of year.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:17 AM

We always go to the Carolina Coast (although Wine country is also a good option). We typically avoid the Mts. until November when all the 'leaf watchers' have gone.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:38 AM
JJ5

missypie, is that the same as or close in time to the Covered Bridge Festival in the same area? I heard that they have the best Pork Chops in the world in Evansville's festival.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

WEll, I have lots of time to plan and I really enjoy that part of travelling ...
At present, I've narrowed it down to either California or if I go to Europe , Spain.
I have no probelm travelling on my own, but I'm not good at languages, so have always confined my lone travels to English speaking countries.
Spain would be a first time with a foreign language on my own. Can I do it??? SURE!!
I know I have lots of time to learn some Spanish, but I'm a total loser when it comes to language.
In Quebec I tried to speak some French and they didn't even recognize it as the french language.

Maybe I should stick to California!
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Another vote for California!
I spent one October in Bavaria, Germany. It was gorgeous with castles, leaves changing, the Alps, etc. I don't speak German, except for learning my manners and it went just fine.
I also did the leaf thing in Rhode Island..Newport and Providence. That was impressive too.
I still vote for CA. You can do San Francisco and go north to redwoods and wine country. The coast is amazing. Or you can go South to Carmel, Pebble Beach, and Santa Barbarba.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Mew Mexico -- Santa Fe, Taos and Albuqeurque is grand at the end of OCotber as is sw Colorado with sunny bright crisp days and cool evenings...it's perfect for exploring mountains, ancient Puebloan ruins.

If this sounds good..and you've got Q's ask away...this is my neck of the woods.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Oh Debi, now you've done it!!! Your neck of the woods sounds fabulous and has long been on my wish list.
I'd love to see your area. IN fact, I was thinking of Santa Fe for this Christmas but decided on Miami Beach. I'll definately have more questions.

Thank you.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Ask away and feel free to email directly at above email.
Debi