Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

People - PLEASE allow yourself enough time to make a connection!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from PDX (to DFW) and the flight was uneventful. On time take off but when we landed we were stuck for 20 minutes because our gate was occupied. 20 minutes past our arrival time and 10 people on the plane were freaking out that they would miss connecting flights.
I feel for them BUT most of the flights mentioned were scheduled to depart within 35 minutes of our arrival. Keep in mind there was a flight to DFW from PDX 2 hours before the flight I took...
Why do people set themselves up for this sort of stress. Many of you may dislike travel agents but a good one would NEVER let you book a 30 minute connection at DFW.
The couple sitting next to me booked themselves online... and they were mad at AA about the delay!!!
Please allow yourself at least 1 full hour. I prefer a minimum of 90 minutes in winter months.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:21 PM

The thing is that the airlines insist these connections are just fine, if you phone up to inquire about booking a flight. But I agree - why give yourself that much stress?
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:35 AM
iceeu2

But, come on, I avoid connecting thru DFW whenever possible. I cannot ever remember having a less than stressful experience there. May be just an unlucky place for me.

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:42 AM

i think you need to re-title this post. It should read:
"PLEASE allow yourself enough time to make a connection---at DFW".

Your point is well taken, to be sure. But keep in mind that you use one of America's 3 worst airports for snafu's and connection problems. I avoid DFW whenever I can.

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:03 AM

! DFW is the WORST for making connections. They have the longest taxi time in. You can land at the 'back forty' and takes you 10 minutes to taxi in. Chicago is bad, too...I'd allow 75 minutes in cities like Chicago and Dallas. Don't want my face on "Airline"!!!
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:10 AM

I think the title is applicable to many airports although TxTravelPro was specifically speaking about DFW. I am never comfortable with a less than 1 hour layover (for domestic flights) at any large airport -- simply because of potential for delays on arrival, etc. I personally do not like feeling that I must run to try make a flight -- it just adds too much stress.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:14 AM

The same thing happended to me recently on a flight that connected in Houston. Continental had us with a 75 minute connection, despite the fact that we needed to clear customs, immigration, retrieve our bags, go through a security screening and two passport checks, then make our way through their fairly expansive terminal. The girl next to me from Mexico, had a 45 minute scheduled connection.

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Just a warning about connections: a friend of mine recently was in Europe and had reserved everything on Expedia, which worked great except for it did not allow enough time for them to physically get across an airport to make a connection, so they missed that flight and then had to wait for the next one. In other words, it's something to check carefully when reserving flights on line!