Pennsylvania's "Grand Canyon"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:36 AM
John

Hi Guys (and Gals!)

Has anyone ever been to the area of Pennsylvania called the "Tioga State Forest"? Can you share your experiences, where to stay? ..what to see?...where to eat?
Thanks
JOHN

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:58 AM
John

anybody? Ferris?.....anybody?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Liz

My parents took us there 30 years ago, so can't help much. I imagine it would be a great place for hiking and nature, but the scenery is "wooded Hills" not "rocky canyons". I think that area of PA is quite unpopulated and natural, even thought it's not too far from big cities.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:40 AM
rebecca

Hi! I've been to the PA Grand Canyon, and the closest "city" was Wellsboro, PA. It's really a very small town. This link should be helpful- have a great time!

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...ioga/tioga.htm

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Liz

I didn't mean that it was right down the road from a big city, just that I don't think people expect areas like this in the congested NE US.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:11 AM
rebecca

Liz- I'm sorry, I misread. I'm more of a city person, and I was amazed that there were places like this in the NE, much less my own state!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Polly

Hubby and I took a 2 day drive west to east along Route 6 in PA a few years ago. Agree that it is unusual to us city dwellers to see such unspoiled vistas in the Northeast. While the GC is beautiful, it is nothing like the one in Arizona. This one is a deep, wooded canyon, more likely to be called a gorge. It is a beautiful sight, but I suspect it is fantastic when the leaves are changing in the fall. Then it is likely to be crowded which was not the case on our summer visit.

Warrenton is, indeed, a picturesque little town and a likely place to stay overnight. Check this link for accommodations in the Allegheny area :http://pavisnet.com/alleghenynationalforest/

We also enjoyed our stop at the Kinzau Bridge State Park which is very close to GC: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/k-bridge.htm

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Ken

John, if you're going to do the Ferris reference, at least get it right. And my wife said to never call anyone under the age of 65 a "gal".

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:58 AM
AH

We stayed in Wellsboro once (my son was in a golf tournament) It was a pretty little town with gas street lights. I can't remember the name of the place we stayed -- but there were only a couple of hotel/motels. The "Grand Canyon" was kinda neat, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:52 PM
John

Thank you all for your responses. I was looking for a nice day trip and I thought this area sounded interesting. As for Ken, what is the true Ferris reference? Is it anyone?,,anyone? I also have a habit of calling people I work with... Darlin! as in "Thank you, Darlin!!" It is said with a southern sincerity! Not to offend!
JOHN