Notices

Pennsylvania with Preschool Aged Kids

Old May 31st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pennsylvania with Preschool Aged Kids

I am planning to go to PA with my three and four year old this summer and woud like to know what we should see. I was thinking Hershey, Seseame Place, and Crayola. Can you tell me if I should go to these place or are there other places kids this age would enjoy.

Thanks
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:11 AM

I've never been to Sesame Place. When our daughter was 5 we left NJ, spent a day at Crayola, drove to Philly then Hershey. It was a perfect vacation for a 5 year old. That was 8 years ago so some details may be different now - she loved the Franklin Institute - we always tell our kids "don't touch, don't touch", at Franklin they are encouraged to touch everything. We went to Hershey in the evening and then back the next day for a full day. They had some kind of admission deal for 1 1/2 days. I think your plan will definitely work.
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:00 PM

I don't have little ones anymore, but I do remember rides for the little ones at Hershey. Definitely go there, it is a nice clean park and who doesn't love chocolate!
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:07 PM
Amy

Those three places are pretty far apart. Sesame Place is nicely interactive; the shows can be kind of loud, which was the only thing the littles that I was with objected to. Dutch Wonderland (in Lancaster) now operated by Hershey is a great park for little ones and not so much for older kids, so it could be a good choice this time around. In Philadelphia, the Please Touch Museum http://www.pleasetouchmuseum.org/ is a big favorite (and in a new location, the gorgeous Centennial Memorial Hall.) Of course, there's also the Philadelphia Zoo, Smith Memorial Park, and other kid-friendly places in the city itself. (www.gophila.com is a good planning resource)
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:06 PM

You are doing quite a bit - if it was stretched over a few days, you'll be fine, but not back to back.

My thoughts (in no random order)
- zoo. great. can be hot, get there when it opens and be leaving after lunch for a break.

- Sesame Place. Never been, so my thoughts are a bit tainted. I've heard from many many friends that it gets too busy and overrun with day care and camp bus-fulls of kids. They especially head to the water park part. I've always avoided since it is somewhat expensive.

- Dutch Wonderland. great for preschool. my kids still love this and request to go there. Also has a water park portion, but we skip that, too. (can you tell I'm not a big fan of large public water parks ?). very clean. lots of shade. This would be a definite on the to do list with preschoolers.

- Hershey Park - we only go at Christmas and it is only this year when my youngest turned 5 that he could ride almost everything. And that doesn't include the large roller coasters. I would say Dutch Wonderland is a much better option with little ones.

- Crayola. My kids love it here. It is honestly about a 1/2 day. Again get there when they open and the crowds will be much more manageable. There is a McD's attached so while I don't advocate it, know that it is an easy and convenient lunch. If you are coming from Philly, there is a great McD's at Rte 309 and route 663 in Quakertown. We go up the turnpike (NE Extension) from Philly and get off at 663, head East about 2-3 miles and turn North on 309. At that intersection, the McD's is great - a large 2 story castle for the kids to play in. Clean. We stop there for ice cream b/c the kids (esp. my older one) likes to play there and most McD's play areas are too small.

- What are the Train Museum in Strasburg, PA ? Check the website b/c 2 times/year Thomas comes and the kids love it. It is close to Dutch Wonderland if you are staying that direction ?

Where are you staying ? I can help more and provide you local playgrounds, etc. if it is around me - feel free to email me -
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:38 PM

If the zoo is on your agenda, why not head west and visit the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium. So much nicer than the zoo in Philly. The Pittsburgh Zoo is one of the top three zoos for children in the country.

AT the Carnegie Science Center there are activities for kids of all ages, plus the miniature railroad and the OmniMax Theater.

Pittsburgh is also home to our NATIONAL AVIARY.
And if the kids would like to see 'dinosaurs' you can't beat the Carnegie Museum of Natural History.

AT Phipps Consevatory there is the Discovery Garden where children can do hands on activities, and there is a butterfly garden.

At the John Heinz History Center they have a robot that will be your guide. Most kids would like that!

There's also Kennywood Park, a very family friendly amusement park, and Sandcastle Water park if you are there on a hot, sunny day.

Or you could head further out of town and visit Idelwild Park, which is another beautiful amusement park, and has Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, Storybook Forest, and lots of kid rides.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Amy

(ooh, ouch, steelersfan)

Philadelphia Zoological Garden is America's first zoo, so it is old-fashioned in bits, but they've been doing quite a lot of work through the years to upgrade the habitats without destroying the natural beauty of the area and the historic buildings. There's a new Amazon rainforest carousel, a hot air balloon to ride and get a view, and interactive children's shows.

A lot of your choices, jennpop, of course, would depend on where you're planning to base. As you see, there's quite a bit of Pennsylvania to see!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 04:01 AM

Nestled in the woods of Pennsylvania, about 30 miles north of Harrisburg, is one of Pennsylvania's best kept secrets - Knoebel's Grove Amusement Resort. www.knoebels.com

Knoebels is a family-owned, family-based amusement park with free admission, free parking, and free picnic pavillions (bring your own lunch). You can purchase a book of tickets to go on the rides, or buy a "hand stamp" for riding the whole day. There is a wonderful children's section, a train you can ride out through the woods, a merry-go-round where you can still catch the brass ring for a free ride, bumper cars, the "Phoenix" which is one of the top-10 wooden roller coasters in America, and a Haunted House which continues to be voted the best by the Dark Ride Enthusiasts. Then there are tons of things you can see and do which doesn't cost anything - puppet shows, carousel museum, coal mining museum, antique steam-generated equipment demonstations. And if it's a really warm day, bring your swimsuits and take a swim in the pool and ride some water slides (extra charge for pool & slides). Come to the mountains of Pennsylvania, and enjoy a day of "fun, food, and fantasy... Knoebel's is the place to be."

Robyn
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 04:24 AM

Knoebels is a GREAT park esp for younger kids. I love the fact that you can "pay as you go" if you don't plan to ride a ton of rides. There is a diner inside the park, with diner pricing rather than amusement park pricing adn there' splenty of shade - another rarity in amusement parks.
My kids also love CamelBeach water park in Tannersville PA - and there's outlets just a couple of miles away for the adults, too! I find CamelBeach much nicer than most waterparks - lots of grassy areas, and a chair lift to the top of the mountain - there's a ski resort in the winter. Plenty of kid and family friendly rides. Took the kids to Sesame place once (I had free tickets) and they really didn't particularly enjoy it..
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Can anyone help with a great campsite by Sesame Place?
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:06 PM

There isn't much camping close by I don't think.

You can go north up along the Delaware River. This website lists a couple of campgrounds in Upper Black Eddy. I estimate that would be about 40 minutes away.
http://www.campingpa.com/campground/...montgomery.htm

Or check this out also along the Delaware:
http://www.buckscounty.org/governmen.../Tohickon.aspx
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM

Cherry Crest Farms in Lancaster County is so much fun, especially after July 4th when the maze opens. There is something for all ages but it's especially good for the preschool age. Strasburg Railroad is right down the street from there, as is the Choo Choo Barn (huge model train display). Dutch Wonderland is right around the corner. Hersheypark is not in the immediate area but it's not very far away either. Jellystone would be a fun place to camp.

http://www.cherrycrestfarm.com/ (I have some pics and info on this on my blog also - we love this place!
http://centralpafamilyfun.blogspot.com/)

http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
http://www.choochoobarn.com/
http://www.dutchwonderland.com/index.php
http://www.jellystonepa.com/
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM

I agree with all the places mentioned here EXCEPT the Crayola factory. My daughter and grandchildren thought it was a waste of time and money. You do not go thru the factory but see a film about it. You get to do a craft or two but again we thought it was a waste. IMHO
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Also there is a campsite across from Hershey Park that some people I know stayed at...they said it was very nice. Not sure of the name. I think it might be run by the Hershey Hotel People.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Hi Jennpop!

Sesame Place: YES!

Id prob do Dutch Wonderland over Hershey Park (age)

Please Touch Museum: YES!

Franklin Institute: Maybe not (age)

Crayola Factory: Id prob skip this one

PHL Zoo: YES-if they like animals

Camden Aquarium: YES-if theyre into sealife!

IMAX in PHL might have a kid flick playing while youre in town

If you choose the above "yes" and "maybes" have home base be around phl b/c youre about in the middle of your activities (geographically speaking).

For more ideas:
http://www.parents.com/family-life/t...-philadelphia/

Have a great time!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Responding to "For all you expert campers any Camping Near Sesame Place?"

cyberdeb04-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I live in that area and can tell you that there are no campgrounds any closer than an 45 minutes to an hours drive away even in NJ. (Well that really depends on what time of day you are driving, rush hour is brutal). Sesame place is located in a very populated area in Langhorne right off of Route 1. The closest campgrounds would be Colonial Woods or Beaver Valley Campground in Ottsville. There are a couple in Quakertown as well such as Ringing Rocks and Quaker Woods, but they are not as nice. I have been to all of them. Colonial Woods is nice, has a lot of things to do for kids, but can be loud and crowded and a lot of the sites are very close together. Beaver Valley is a little closer and is the best campground in the area. It is very well maintained and usually pretty quiet and most of the sites are very large. I have been going there since i was a kid and i am now 45. We spend every weekend in the fall there. You are also close to Dorney Park in Allentown as well. However if you are going to Great Adventure, you may be able to find something in between the two parks. I am not very familiar with that area as far as camping in concerned.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM

Amy on May 31, 09 at 11:02 PM
(ooh, ouch, steelersfan)
Philadelphia Zoological Garden is America's first zoo, so it is old-fashioned in bits, but they've been doing quite a lot of work through the years to upgrade the habitats without destroying the natural beauty of the area and the historic buildings.

Yes, Philly's Zoo has it's own charm, but having visited both, I still think Pgh Zoo would be a better fun day for kids of all ages.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM

You can buy tickets to both Hershey park and Dutch Wonderland at a discount since Hershey now owns both parks. Dutch Wonderland is great for kids since it is geared towards children 12 and under. And the roller coaster's are smaller for the little ones to be able to ride but for the young pre-teens to enjoy to.

http://www.pa-dutch-travel.com/