Penn Station to Newark Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have figured out how to get from the airport to Penn but am confused as to how to get to Newark Airport from Penn station. Would I buy a ticket when I get to Penn? How much would it cost? Does Newarks Airtrain stop at Penn and then go to the airport? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 10:47 PM

Message: Without a doubt your best bet is the AirTrain service right into
Take a look at the website:
www.portnynj.com/airtrainnewark

If you've mastered the journey from the airport to New York Penn Station (assuming you mean this one), then the journey the other way is just as easy. Don't be confused in that there is a Newark Penn station which is a stop between the Airport stop and New York Penn Station.

On your return trip to the airport you but a ticket at Penn Station, from memory it costs around $12 each way and the train makes one stop at Newark Penn station and then the next stop is the Airport station.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 12:47 AM

Or you could take the Olympia Trails bus on 34th & 8th. No transfer hassle and I find the bus saner if you're not travelling during rush hour. Wait for the bus, pay the driver and get off at your terminal - mindless.

With the train, it's figure out which train, buy a ticket, fight through the Penn Station mob, find the track, get off at the correct transfer station, board another train. Lots of schlepping.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:38 AM

With the bus you'll have to contend with road traffic. No holds barred, head for Penn Station. Just get your ticket and ask someone with luggage what to do if you're confused. Many people will be doing what you're doing -- and it's a real breeze. I promise. Buy your ticket at Penn -- it will let you out at the airport, you'll go through a turnstyle then hop on the Newark airport shuttle to your terminal.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:17 AM

At Penn Station, go to the NJ Transit/Amtrak area and buy your ticket from a machine (they take cash, credit, debit) or from the NJ transit booths. It costs $11 plus change. You will have to find a train that is noted as an "EWR" train on the board. The first stop is Newark Penn Station and the 2nd stop is the airport.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:58 AM

don't forget, as you may be able to tell from the posts here, that there are 2 "Penn Stations"!
The one in NYC, and the one in Newark.
Assuming you're starting in NYC, buy a New Jersey Transit ticket ($11.55 when I last did it) to EWR (newark airport) station, not just a Newark station. The price to exit at the airport station is higher by about $4-5 and your tickets are checked upon exiting at the airport staion, Then you pick up the monorail into the airport proper. The "airtrain" name just refers to a combo of the monorail and the regular train--there is no single "airtrain train" that actually takes you all the way...