Pebble Beach/ Sonoma

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pebble Beach/ Sonoma

We are planning a 8 day trip in the Fall 2007 to San Fran area...we were thinking of 3 days in Pebble Beach and then a luxury 4 days in Sonoma ?? Should we go to Pebble Beach first then up to Sonoma and back to SFO ?? We would like some thoughts on the nicest place in or around Sonoma to stay ? We are thinking about staying at the Pebble Beach Lodge...any help would be wonderful
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Sonoma or Pebble Beach first? Either way will work fine. They both are about the same drive time from SFO

I live in the Carmel area and of course Pebble Beach is as good as it gets. But you will have to drive everywhere from there. There are some great hotels in Carmel-by-the-Sea (The Gateway to Pebble Beach)that might work for you as well and it would be easy to walk around town and dine at some of the best restaurant's around.

A couple of the higher end hotels in Carmel are the La Playa and L'Auberge Carmel.

Also Monterey County wines easily rival those from Sonoma so make some time to do some wine tasting in the tasting rooms of Carmel Valley.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thx JPJH.... I will look at staying in Carmel...what resturants would you recommend ??
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM

La Playa is very nice, it is a historic property, gorgeous gardens and grounds. We enjoyed a nice stay for my birthday. I would recommend the Pacific's Edge, Bouchee, Little Napoli or Casanova for some nice meals in Carmel.

In Sonoma, if you want luxury, it doesn't get any better than the Sonoma Mission Inn. We have stayed here 3 times, once in the Wine Country Rooms and 2 times in the Historic Section. It's all good here! If you would like suggestions for great places to dine in Sonoma, feel free to ask. ***kim***
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:56 AM

If you were planning to stay at the Lodge at Pebble Beach I think you'll be very disappointed with La Playa... try the Inn st Spanish Bay or maybe one of the many inns in Pacific Grove.

I used to love La Playa.. we spent a wonderful honeymoon there but it has gotten a bit shabby in the last few years.. unless you possibly book one of the cottages.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

I think it would be better to stay in Carmel rather than Pebble Beach Lodge ...The ladies could stay in town and walk around shops,etc...Kim could you give some ideas on dining in Sonoma...
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Certainly! The General's Daughter is excellent for dinner. I would put this place at the top of my Sonoma restaurant list. We also love the girl and the fig on the Sonoma Plaza. The Harmony Club @ the Ledson Hotel is very elegant with innovative menus. Cafe La Haye, right around the corner is outstanding, make reservations, it is a rather smallish dining room.

The El Dorado Kitchen is also nice, we had lunch there and enjoyed it very much. It is also located on the Sonoma Square in the Hotel El Dorado.

For a nice breakfast or brunch, check out the Big 3 Diner adjacent to the Sonoma Mission Inn. ***kim***

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 05:07 PM

For the very best in Sonoma recommendations, see if Razzle checks in. She lives there.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM

I live in the Pebble Beach-Carmel area. The Lodge would be a very nice place to stay. As far as Sonoma, a cottage at the Sonoma Mission Inn would be lovely and quite luxurious.