San Fran, Napa, Palo Alto, Carmel advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure I will eventually find some of the answers to my questions, but while I look I thought I would ask given our short upcoming stay. It's been many years since we were last in California. We will be visiting our son next month who recently moved to Palo Alto and need advice for day trips while he is working. Our first two days we'll stay with him in Palo Alto. Is a day trip to Napa realistic? If so what are some of the best wineries we should plan to visit? Any other day trip suggestions? The following two days we'd like to head south on highway 1 and stay in either Carmel or Monterey. Any recommendations or preferences as to which one and suggestions of what to do? Lastly, we fly out of San Francisco and plan to be there for the weekend with our son. Thinking of taking in Muir Woods and Alcatraz. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonoma is closer than Napa from the Peninsula.

It's not so crowded and has a totally different ambiance than Napa.

Going to Napa, you have to then go North from Napa to get to the majority of the wineries.

Sonoma has wineries in / near town.

Also, checke the forums as your question has been asked and ansered many many times.
Old May 18th, 2013, 12:16 PM

You can drive to Napa area from Palo Alto for a day trip with no problem. You may want to consider taking a bus called the WINE TRAIN. It leaves from the city and takes you to some wineries then returns you to the city. This avoids you having to drive. You could easily take Cal Train from Palo Alto to 4th and King (near ballpark) then take the Judah muni to Embarcadero and you would be at the area to load on wine train. No driving, no hassle and you can enjoy your wine. Then reverse home.

CARMEL/MONTEREY: THE PINE INN Is located on Ocean Avenue in downtown Carmel. You could stay there and easily walk the town, enjoy the shops and restaurants. If you drive the waterfront on the peninsula most of the time you will be in the town of PACIFIC GROVE. This town has some great B&B's on Monterey Bay: SEVEN GABLES INN (used in Amex commercial for TV) and GREEN GABLE. Both in nice quiet area and easy drive to Carmel. Check out www.pacificgrove.org for more information.

SF: The new Exploratorium just opened in SF at Pier 15 on April 17, 2013 after a $300 million construction. Brand new location and very interesting. It is not far from where people get on the boat to go to Alcatraz.

While in that area also check out the Ferry Building shops and restaurants. All of this close together and easy walking. You may want to just take a Hop On, Hop Off bus tour of the City to give you a good overall tour. They do them in London style busses that are open on the top deck. This is a good way to see a lot of things as you do not want to hassle with a lot of driving in SF. Parking is EXPENSIVE, limited and driving is difficult on the hills.
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM

Of the list of places that you want to visit, allow me to suggest the following:

First two day in Palo Alto.

Next two days Carmel/PG/Monterey - these are closer to Palo Alto

Next day drive up to Napa/Sonoma - stay the night up there because you will have driven quite a bit this day, what with driving up to Napa/Sonoma and with driving around to do winetasting.

Early next morning drive to SF to meet your son for the final two days of your trip.

Hope this might work for you.
Old May 19th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Great suggestions and thank you all. Looking into Pacific Grove now. We enjoy B & B's over hotel stays. A friend has also voted for Sonoma over Napa so we are looking into that also.
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM

I stayed at the Sunset Inn in Pacific Grove- quiet location, clean, nicely decorated- there are no other amenities though- such as restaurant, pool, views. It is an easy walk to the water where there are some nice walking trails.
Old May 19th, 2013, 07:37 PM

I vote for Sonoma over Napa, too! Traffic is almost nonexistent, the winding roads are beautiful, there are loads of great wineries and restaurants, but the whole place is more laid back than Napa, and much less crowded. Try to be there on a weekday...