Pebble Beach Options ???

Search

Pebble Beach Options ???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pebble Beach Options ???

Entertaining the idea of going to P.B. for a "significant" birthday. I would be going solo at the end of May.

$495 green fees-OK; $100 caddie-OK (agree comments in other posts, worth it for a variety of reasons).

Lodging? "A 2-night stay is required to play Pebble Beach Golf Links" (per the notes at the bottom of their rates sheet).

$580 x 2 for Spanish Bay or
$675 x 2 for Inn at Pebble Beach

Now my round of golf costs me $1750 ($1160 room + $595 golf w/ caddie) or $1850 for Inn at Pebble Beach.

Assuming I'm willing to keep my fingers crossed about getting a tee-time in the 24 hours window, i.e. walking on as a single, and I'm thinking about being there for 1/2 day on a Wednesday (5/28) and all day Thursday (5/29), does anyone have any ideas about staying somewhere nice NEARBY and saving about $1000? Could I soak up the atmosphere by frequenting the restuarants and pubs on the premises? I could have a massage at the spa, etc.

I understand I won't (in theory) get the "whole experience", but golf is what matters to me.

If anyone thinks "yes" - could you recommend a nice place to stay for around $200 +/- ???

Thanks, JK
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:17 PM

Look into the Tally Ho Inn in Carmel..some of the rooms have been renovated.
Its only 10 minutes from the Pebble Beach Lodge.

Will
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:59 AM

Your probability of getting on the course as a single without a tee time is excellent. Make sure there's not an event on the day you are going to show up. Two other independant hotels to check out in Carmel are the Village Inn and Dolphin. Not the Lodge, but quaint and enjoyable.

I have gone this route a couple of times and been pleased.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM

You could stay in Pacific Grove. It's kind of a "poor man's" Pebble Beach and you can literally see the Inn at Spanish Bay from there. For me it wouldn't be worth the money to stay at Pebble or Spanish Bay as a single. But if it's one of the boxes you need to check, go for it.

Another option might be Carmel Mission Ranch. Hang out at the piano bar in the evening and see if the famous owner and his lovely wife stop in.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to each of you for your relpies.

Your responses were EXACTLY what I was hoping to get in terms of lodging suggestions. Great suggestions to check about any special events that might be planned & I also appreciate the suggestions for places to hang out for a 'beverage', etc.

I kinda figured I might get blasted for not being keen on dropping mucho dinero to stay at one of the courses - but thatconcern was 0-for-3.

Thanks again !!

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM

There are many lovely inns here, in Carmel. During the week, as long as it isn't a holiday or major event-time, you can usually get good deals.

Here are some links to some places at or near your price range, that would provide you with pretty good prices and be close enough to the PB gate for easy access:

http://www.greenlanterninn.com/

www.innsbythesea.com

http://www.thecolonialterrace.com/

http://www.carmelgardencourtinn.com/rooms.htm

http://www.sandpiper-inn.com/index_enter.htm

Happy Birthday!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:54 PM

johnny_k

Please report back and let us know if you were able to get a tee time. Also, are they really strict on the 24 hr. window.

Thinking about trying this in the future. Wondering how easy it is for a single.

Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

TTess - appreciate the links

whynotgotooh - if I do end up going, I will do as you suggest regarding logging some sort of follow-up report (might not have occurred to me had you not suggested it).

Thank you both... JK
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Check out www.pacificgrove.org. Pacific Grove is located next to Spanish Bay. The town has some great spots to stay and the drive to Pebble is easy.

We have friends coming to see us that had to book at Pebble to ensure he could golf there. They did not want to take a chance. We live in Pacific Grove.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:53 AM

My wife and I just returned from a 3 day stay at "The Lodge" and played PB, Spanish Bay and Spyglass.

It was very expensive, but it was probably our one and only chance to do this, so we thought it was well worth it.

One point, I know they say it is ppossible to get on as a single without staying there, but I did talk to one guy who was trying to get on while we were there and he had to wait three days to get on PB. Now I am not sure if it was just bad timing, or karma or what, but with limited time to golf, it is something to think about.

Whatever it takes....DO IT. It was one of the best golfing experiences of our lives. Had a great caddie named JT
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Please know that the caddies are used to very large tips. Two friends of my daughter's have been caddies and they would come home with over $500 in tips a day.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM

TTess,
They give you a sheet with "suggested" caddy tips when you arrive to play.

$40 to $50 per bag is standard.

Our caddy handled our two bags,so we tipped him $100 and he seemed very appreciative with this.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

All - thanks for the continued inputs.

I live close enough to play Bandon Dunes at least once per year. Even thought I'm not a great golfer, having a caddie makes the experience twice as good. Something about just walking the course without a bag, just taking in the scenery, not having to hurriedly hunt for my ball; then walking up to the green with putter in hand from the 150 yard marker - just makes it special.

Paying the caddie is NOT an area where I would try to be frugal.

I could easily afford to stay at the lodge, but the reality is - it strikes me as a "lifestyles of the rich and famous" kind of place (and I'm not that kind of guy). I will probably get a massage and enjoy the lodge, but given the kind of money is costs to stay at there I'm just trying to weigh options to stay elsewhere (I may end up staying at the lodge anyhow).

Thanks again...
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Oh Richin don't feel bad but he couldn't be rude by showing that you should've given him much more than that. Those tip suggestion sheets are merely suggestions (think IRS). Think about it...he had to schlep your two bags all day long and then give you advice about the course, plus listen to any small talk you may have and answer other questions. $100 for two bags? Poor guy.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 04:19 PM

johnny_k - I think you made some very good points about your likes and dislikes and your gut is right-on with the style of the Lodge.

Have you decided on where you want to stay, yet?
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Don't the caddies also get paid by the course?

From all I've heard $50 per bag is pretty much a standard tip. Sure Donald Trump is going to tip more, but I doubt that Pebble Beach is going to tell their customers to under-tip the caddies. If anything, they'd probably try to get golfers to overtip so they can get away with giving the caddies a smaller percentage of the fee.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Traveldawg, Have you ever played the PG muni course? It's sort of the poor man's Pebble Beach with a spectacular nine holes right on the ocean. Very reasonable green fees.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 01:35 PM

The views from PG Muni are very beautiful, very dramatic.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 12:07 PM

There was an interview in Fore with Casey Boyns this month (celebrated amateur and caddy at Pebble Beach).

Quote: "The general rule is to tip 50 percent of the caddie fee."

So $50 on top of a $75 caddie fee is not only correct, it's more than standard.

Nyah nyah nyah.