Pasadena to LAX Early Friday AM

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would really like to stay in a hotel near the Huntington Library in Pasadena but am concerned about the drive from there to LAX. That would be on a Friday morning around 5AM. I'm getting the impression it could take an hour or more just to get to the airport, We will be turning in a rental car before heading to the departure terminal.

Usually I don't bother even asking this sort of question since we all know traffic varies and there can be accidents and other factors causing potential slowdowns but thought I'd ask anyway. One alternative is to stay much closer to the airport in the first place which I am considering. A case of driving more earlier in the week and not worrying about it the day of departure. Am I on the right track? Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What time is your flight, which airlines, and domestic or international?

I have driven in that direction when there have been at least two accidents, so you are correct, it's very risky. One alternative is to return you car in Pasadena the night before, and then arrange for a limo service or even Lyft to pick you up. I am fond of the Huntington LIbrary, and all of Pasadena, so it would be much nicer for you. How long will you be in the area, perhaps you can just spend your last night at the airport.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 11:13 PM

Twice I have gone to the Huntington Library on my last day in the LA area. Both times, I got a hotel near the airport for my last night; once at LAX and last month, at Burbank airport.
Both times, I got dinner in Pasadena after the HL, then drove to the airport in the early evening. Traffic was nothing and I didn't have the stress of getting up so early and worrying about accidents.
I dropped my car off that evening and used the hotel shuttle bus from and to the airport, saving a bit on the car rental as well.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate these rep[lies which are helpful, thanks very much.

The flight leaves at 8:45 which is why I said I would be traveling to the airport around 5AM; it is domestic. I do NOT use Lyft, ever.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Huntington to LAX is 45 mins in the best of conditions, which you should have if you're traveling at 5am. You've got about a 45 mins of padding so that sounds like good planning.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 04:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask your rental car company if they offer a transponder to use on the 110 freeway toll road. It saves time and gives a little protection from delays caused by accidents. If there are two or more people in the car, there is no toll charge, but you can't use the lanes without a transponder. If you take a taxi or licensed car service, they will have a transponder.

Some Fridays are worse than others. The "best" are any Fridays that coincide with a Jewish holiday or when schools/universities have no classes. The "worst" are any Fridays that lead into a 3-day weekend, like Nov. 8th before Veterans Day Monday which is a federal and school holiday.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 05:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the Huntington and would certainly rather stay in Pasadena than at the airport. But I'm wondering what you'll gain, practically speaking, by not getting yourself near the airport & getting rid of the car the night before an early flight. I'd think not worrying, even a little, would outweigh being asleep in Pasadena. Not to mention sleeping later, maybe the best argument of all.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 07:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless there is something catastrophic on the freeway, you can easily make LAX in 45 minutes from Pasadena leaving at 5 a.m.

Old Oct 25th, 2019, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for these additional thoughts. At this point the less worrying I have to do the better so I'm probably going to stay near the airport. I have no problem with turning the car in either the night before or the morning of since I'm going to be charged by the 24-hour period anyway.

As with lots of things in Los Angeles we are interested in seeing things that are scattered all over the place. At one point we considered staying at the beach and at another point staying in B. Hills. Knowing that things at 5AM shouldn't be all that bad, traffic -wise, kinda confirms what I had thought all along
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 02:16 PM

Look at Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach, about a 15 minute drive (or Uber ride) from the airport, free use of bikes and parking if you keep the car, nearby restaurants and a lot nicer neighborhood that most LAX area hotels. If you do stay near LAX stay the heck west of the 405 (San Diego) Freeway.
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 02:25 PM

I would rather drive to LAX at 5am, although if you are unusually nervous I would advise leaving at 4:30 instead, when there is virtually no traffic. Thursday afternoons can be some of the worst getaway day traffic, so I'd stay in Pasadena if you don't mind getting up that early.

You can use Google Maps directions to get around any slowdowns, on your cellphone

There are multiple ways to get there, even if there is a wreck.

If you are anti-Uber/Lyft (Lyft is better here) there are also a number of hotels around the airport that have shuttle buses. And it will be cooler at the beach if you're here during a hot spell.

A trendy hotel in Manhattan Beach is Shade. No view, though really close to the beach and downtown. They have a reasonably nice restaurant/bar if you don't want to go out for breakfast.

http://shadehotel.com/

This is also quite nice although not in any kind of neighborhood. Friends have used them for receptions, family dinners, etc., although haven't stayed there they do have some nice suites at reasonable prices. Every time we've joined them at Matisse or had snacks in the bar, it's been excellent.

https://www.ayreshotels.com/ayres-ho...hattan%20beach

Last edited by mlgb; Oct 25th, 2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

I am absolutely overwhelmed with gratitude for all the additional posts and thoughts and they have caused me to further consider my final decision. Much appreciate the help. Thank you.
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 01:32 PM

Love that area of Pasadena/San Marino. Pasadena is such a great city again, turned around 20 yrs ago. You should be fine at 5 a.m., but leaving half hour earlier couldnt hurt. On the 10/405 anything can happen......
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may be overthinking this. If you normally stay near MIA before an early morning flight instead of having to drive down from Fort Lauderdale then maybe you'd want to do the same in L.A.

On the other hand, Manhattan Beach is a nice place for a sunset happy hour or two, especially if you'd like to see how many square feet 5 million bucks will get you on the beach in Southern California these days.
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 04:22 PM

LOL, clark. There are no properties for sale "on the beach" under $6M (for 2800 sq. ft.).

But for Dukey1, if Manhattan Beach sounds appealing for an O/N before your flight, the aforementioned Shade is certainly hip and trendy and in a great location for walking around downtown, to the pier, lots of restaurants, etc. Our high-end restaurant scene is beginning to make some of us long-time residents feel a little provincial, but we do enjoy Zinc in Shade and both Petros and Nic's on the same plaza as the hotel. A new restaurant, Coast, just opened near the pier, and its executive chef was awarded a Michelin star at a previous restaurant. The executive chef at MB Post, Fishing With Dynamite and Arthur J competed on Iron Chef Gauntlet.

For me, the location of the Ayres Hotel is pretty grim. 405 freeway on the west side, freeway on-ramp to the south, gas station to the north, McDonald's and Costco parking across the street. Also, not a fan of its restaurant.

There is a big, newly-renovated hotel in town... Westdrift (Marriott Autograph Collection). The back of the hotel overlooks a 9-hole golf course. Its on-site restaurant has received good reviews, but we haven't tried it yet. There are a few restaurants within walking distance without having to venture to the downtown/pier area.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

LOL..6 Million for something beachfront. Try NINE million and UP here where we live. I'm assuming all the fires will be out by the time we visit in January but perhaps I'm being too optimistic. It has to be a horrible experience, evacuating, kinda like what we periodically go through here for storms.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 04:59 PM

$6M is the value of the lot. The house is livable but considered a tear-down.

For another $11M you can buy this one... Gorgeous house, but the first year's property tax bill will be about $170,000. Ka-ching!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...20420582_zpid/
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

You realize, of course that the usual property tax for a house here in Florida runs about 2% or more of the purchase price if you have no homestead exemption so that makes the bill on an 11 Million property about $220,000 per year. As a lot of us here ask, "Who has that kind of money?" I just want to be sure all the fires are out by January
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 05:46 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Late to the party, but have you considered flying out of Burbank? I did the last time I was there (staying in Pasadena) and REALLY am glad I opted out of dealing with LAX.

Having said all that, I think 5 am would be fine. Traffic was light from LAX to Pasadena about 10pm when I arrived (a Monday night).
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Starrs, thank you for your input. I probably should have flown back from Long Beach but too late now. I am assuming fires aren't going to be any issue in January but if they truly are we may just spend a couple of extra days at the beach in Oregon and pay the change fees to fly back from PDX and do LA at some future date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -