Parking Meters/Disabled Placards - NC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The NC DMV website does not appear to provide information telling me whether or not I have to put money in parking meters. VA says I may park free at meters for up to four hours. NC says I may park without regard to time limit restrictions but does not say whether or not I have to put money in the meters.

Accurate information or a website which provides same for NC would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BigBlue
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM

I'm not the best for this, but here I go.

First, you might want to look for this topic on the WRAL tv station website archives (www.wral.com). They had stories about this within the past year or so.

Second, this is only for Raleigh. If you are visiting a different area of the state I can't help.

A while back on WRAL they had a story about people with handicap tags parking all day for free at handicapped marked meter spots in downtown Raleigh. Usually it was an employee of a nearby business parking there for the workday. Therefore people with handicap tags visiting for a short period of time couldn't find a handicap marked meter spot and had to park in a deck and pay $$$ to park there. I'm not familiar with special rules for not paying at a meter spot if you have a handicap tag since I don't have a tag. Somehow with the City of Raleigh going to parking stations instead of meters (one unit in the middle of the block instead of a meter at each spot) this situation has been reduced. I guess because you have to pay at the pay station in the new setup? Not 100% sure about it.

I hope this didn't confuse you more.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM

You have handicap. Park there.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for both your comments. California addresses the problem by allowing placard holders to not pay at any parking meters so the problem goes away in that case. Gretchen, I understand your sentiments but can you please tell me what the law says in NC, if you know? If I were to park at a metered spot anywhere in the state and get a ticket for not putting in money, I'm afraid I'd need more justification than that someone at the Fodor board told me to do it.

Again, thanks,
BigBlue
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Yeah, it's hard to tell from that website. I know many states allow you to use any meter for free, but some (like Hawaii) have a two hour limit. In Pennsylvania, they have marked handicapped spots, but there is a meter and you have to feed it the same as any other meter.

To be safe, I'd call or go by the local police station, since they are the ones who will be writing the tickets.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM

I just found this interesting article which suggests that you will have to pay if you park in a metered parking spot and you display the placard.

http://www.ashevillenc.com/local_sco...effect-nov-12/

It does say that handicapped parking spots, however, will remain unmetered. This is for Asheville and is a recent change that took place in November 2010.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 12:43 PM

Well, maybe the difference is where will you be. Some do some don't. I was really suggesting parking in a handicapped spot.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. It would appear, based on reading between the lines, that people in NC abuse disabled parking placards to the same degree done here in CA. Why does that not surprise me? It's all well and good if there are "adequate" disabled spaces but there usually aren't and a number of people seem to feel that they can park in them without benefit of placards. Ah, well...